Infant Seat Suggestions

Ok, it's getting down to the wire...8 weeks left!!! I really need to settle on a seat...and I think I may have, but haven't been around for a bit, so I thought I'd ask incase something has changed.

I have mostly settled on a Graco Snugride w/ front adjust harness...except I can't get one here in town. I chose it over the SafeSeat b/c all 3 of my other dc's have been tall and skinny. My 2 yo is still only 26lbs but a couple inches too tall for the safeseat...so for us I don't think it's worth the extra money.

I've heard that evenflo's are hard to install...which I agree with...that's what I had with the other 3.

What about Baby Trend ?

Any other seats that can stay below the $100 range???

Thanks!!!!

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
CONGRATS

I'd just go for the SafeSeat1 -- it's so easy to use & padded well for comfort, fits the longest so you won't have to rearrange seating again for a while....

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Ditto on the SS1 especially for seatbelt installations with the base's built-in seatbelt lockoff making seatbelt installs a breeze. (If I remember right, the OP has a non-LATCH vehicle, hence my comments about seatbelt installation ease :)). The Baby Trend Latch Loc we had installed pretty easily with LATCH but isn't so friendly for seatbelt installations.

Last time I looked, though, the SS1's were over $100 and they are heavier than other seats. I have nerve damage in my arm, so even an extra pound or 2 means the less time I can actually carry baby in it. What's the shell/slot height on the SS1?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
For handy reference, here is link to carseatdata's infant seat measurements: http://www.carseatdata.org/measurements.php?tun=dd#infant

I believe the SS1 weighs about 9.5 lbs. (Don't have it or the Latch Loc handy any more to weigh them for comparison for you, sorry). Elitecarseats has a list of some infant seat weights at http://www.elitecarseats.com/catalo...8&categoryId=282&ascending=true&sortKey=BRAND Take it with a grain of salt though, because the list has the Snugride weighing in heavier than the SS1, and I think that's probably incorrect. :confused:

S&JsMom

I am in the same timeframe as you...about 8 weeks to go and I still need to pick a car seat for #3.

Although I had the Snug Ride with #1 and #2 I found that they outgrew it by height even before weight (although I had the older snugride that was only for 20lbs and 26"). If you have babes that are LONG and lean, then you should be looking not at the weight limits of the seats, but the height limits!

I have back issues, so I understand not wanting to carry around extra car seat weight, but that is why they make strollers to put your carseat on. Carrying around a baby in a car seat is just not friendly to your body, regardless of what the car seat weighs.

jazzpurr88

I'm going with the safe seat. I'm due in 10 weeks. Baby will fit in it longer. I don't plan on taking the seat out of the car much as a carrier. I'll be wearing/slinging my baby.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I ditto the recommendation for the SafeSeat 1.

As the others said, it will last you the longest and it is MUCH easier to install than the Snugride.

Congrats on the new baby!

Erika Ruth

I got a SS1 for $71 plus tax, and Target just had them on sale last week (not this week), at our Target.

I chose it because of the taller harness height. As my daughter approaches it, I won't be taking her out too much.

Erika

S&JsMom

So, I was pretty sold on getting the SS1 (as I mentioned above), but going car seat shopping today with DH for a new seat for 3.9 year old DS shed some new light...

DH doesn't see a need to get the SS1 since it is much heavier than the Snug Ride. He figures that when baby outgrows the SnugRide (by 8-9 months probably based on height) that it will move to DS's seat and DS will move to a booster. I was leaning towards the SS1 so that DS could stay harnessed until around 5.6 years (baby would be about 18 months). It doesn't help that the store we were at today stopped carrying the SS1 because most people buy the SnugRide (the sales guy said that they had the same height max, just a higher weight max - I don't think that is correct). Most of the time I will be moving the seat in and out of the car and putting it on a stroller frame, but DH is the one who would do the carrying if we go into someone's home, or up stairs, or in and out of taxis while traveling, or rocking the baby in it. Thoughts? Other seats I should look at that would get me higher height limits without adding so much weight?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
The sales guy was dead wrong. They almost always are, with very few exceptions....

You're welcome to share the information in my website with your husband about keeping your DS harnessed ("Preschool -- Preteen") & let him know that the SS1 fits 99% of 1 years old as well as many almost 2 year olds, while most infant seats are generally outgrown around 6-8 months, so you'd be able to rock baby in it longer than EVERY other infant seat. Just because you can carry baby in it doesn't mean you *have* to though: it should be easy enough to put it into the stroller & just carry baby without carseat when necessary (parents are encouraged not to keep babies in carseats too much outside of the car anyway for various health reasons).

chickenman

What seat do people typically buy after the safeseat, my daughter would have lasted 18 months length wise, and obviously could still have been rear facing in a marathon or something, but for a forward facing car seat, the regent seems so big for an 18 month old even if they are 25 lbs, what about the safeguard child seat after the safe seat?

You definitely don't want a regent for an 18 mo old b/c at that age they should still be rear facing, unless weight prohibits it (There are seats that RF up to 35 lbs now....Scenera, Uptown & the new Triumph). Any of those will fit a cheap to moderate budget and then there's always the Britax seats that are great seats with awesome features for the "expanded" budget.

SS1 is the seat that currently has the tallest shell and highest slots???

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC