know anything about the 2001 Toyota Camry?

Melanie

The good, the bad, whatever you've got. Little kids won't be in it so car seat ease doesn't matter. My 16 year old would drive it.

ADS

I'm driving a 2000 Camry as a commuter/beater right now. If it has the optional side air bags, that's awesome. It's an older car so compared to what's out there now, I feel very exposed from a safety standpoint. I highly doubt many had the side airbags. Especially the 4cyl models. I'm driving the V6 LE and I don't think it has side airbags.

The seat is supremely comfortable though. Much more so than my Lexus. Very reliable too. BIL's 1999 LE 4cyl automatic has about 430,000 miles on original motor and tranny. I'm only at 150,000 cuz the car's been passed around to various family members as needed and it's sat for a few years.

Melanie

I'm driving a 2000 Camry as a commuter/beater right now. If it has the optional side air bags, that's awesome. It's an older car so compared to what's out there now, I feel very exposed from a safety standpoint. I highly doubt many had the side airbags. Especially the 4cyl models. I'm driving the V6 LE and I don't think it has side airbags.

The seat is supremely comfortable though. Much more so than my Lexus. Very reliable too. BIL's 1999 LE 4cyl automatic has about 430,000 miles on original motor and tranny. I'm only at 150,000 cuz the car's been passed around to various family members as needed and it's sat for a few years.

I've had to come to terms with not having side airbags. Apparently it's an option on the one we're about to look at, so I don't know if it does or not yet. It stinks, but the amount of money she has doesn't really get her new enough to have the ideal safety features.

400k is impressive. My parents have had a couple toyotas and they've all been great. But they were purchased new and my dad is meticulous about maintenance. It's hard buying a used car this old that you don't know the history of.

Brianna

FWIW, informedforlife.org ranks it in the top 25% of cars for 1994-2004, number 62 of 520. Even though the technology isn't the newest, it's pretty safe considering.

Mags462

I'd buy one in a heart beat :D

My dad owned one and it was his commuter.... he put 210K miles on it and never had a problem - he is HARD on his cars and traded it in because he wanted something newer, not because the car was having problems.

ks227

My husband's commuter car is a 2001 Camry LE with something like 150K miles on it. I kid you not, the only thing we have to do is the scheduled maintenance - we've had very low repair costs in the 5+ years we've owned it, because it's a workhorse. It gets reasonable mileage for his long commute and allows us to only have one car payment.

It's honestly never made me feel uneasy that it only has side airbags. We have one child, who rides RFing in the center. When we have more than one kid I may feel differently, but it's a good car for the intended purpose.

MomToEliEm

I have a 2001 Camry. I bought it new and have not had any trouble at all with it. In the past 11 years, the only service we have had was that the door handle broke (my fault when I tried to open the door when it was frozen over). It has 175,000 miles on it right now. I am expecting it to last a few more years too, though I am saving up for a minivan.

Melanie

FWIW, informedforlife.org ranks it in the top 25% of cars for 1994-2004, number 62 of 520. Even though the technology isn't the newest, it's pretty safe considering.

How did you find this? When I look at informed for life I only see 2003 and up. What am I doing wrong?

DD wound up with a completely different vehicle. Still a Toyota, a 2000 Rav4. It's cute and sporty looking but doesn't have sporty power :) It has a lot of miles, but I think we did well for the amount of $ she had to spend. I'm hoping it lasts a good while since it's a Toyota. I am so so glad to be done car shopping. It was taking over our lives, including my dad's since he goes with us to check them over. We looked at some doosies from Craigslist that sounded great. I don't consider a LOT of cigarette burns (seriously all over the inside of the car) to have clean interior. Or that runs great means terrible clunking when stopping.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC