'07 Toyota Sienna LE (8-pas) - I got a Great deal! Now where do the car seats go!?

Caryn

I'm so excited! I've been researching and car shopping ever since I found out we are expecting our third (only 3 mnths to go!) and knowing that we will need a bigger and safer vehicle.

Today I was offered (in writing!!!) a 2007 Toyota Sienna LE (8-passenger) for $23,800 (no rebates, no trade-in etc) It's sticker price is $27,255.

It has the side curtain airbags (which I believe are standard) and all the other LE standard things, as well as a power passenger sliding door, overhead info console (with the temp etc) and some other cool things. Wooohoo!

So I have the inevitable question of where should I put the kids!?

I specifically got the 8-seater so I have the option of putting them all in the second row if I need to transport something in the back, but I need to know where to put them:

I'll have:
Newborn in RF Graco SafeSeat Step 1
4 yr old (38 lbs not sure of height) in a booster (I'm saving for a Britax but right now he's in a Graco)
5 yr old (42 lbs - also not sure of height) in a booster (I'm saving for a Britax but right now she's in a Graco)

Any wisdom would be appreciated!

Thank you :D

Last edited:
ADS

lynsgirl

Congratulations on both the new van and the new (coming) baby! :love:

I have an 05 LE8 and I :love: :love: :love: my van :D. You got a great price, too! When we first got it (2 years ago in July), I only had 3 kids and now I have 4. For quite a while, I had all three of them in the second row, with the two older kids in their Huskies (now manufactured as the Regent) and ds2 in his MA, RF. They all fit totally fine, which speaks well for the room available in there :thumbsup:. For now, I'd actually set them up 3-across, if you have no fighting issues between your two older kids :whistle:. I'd put the 4yo in the center, the 5yo passenger outboard, and the baby driver's side outboard. I've kept the baby (and previously ds2) on the driver's side, second row, because the other kids can get in very easily on the passenger side w/the power door while I put the baby in. If anyone needs help, you can still walk around to that side, but instead of opening a door for them or having them wait while you put the baby in, you can open the door with the press of a button while you're walking to the van and they're in and waiting for you while you put baby in (if this were reversed, I mean).

If you *do* happen to have uh, sibling issues, put the oldest one in the back, with the 2nd row passenger seat folded down, but not tumbled forward. I did this, as well. Ds1 had his Husky passenger outboard, 3rd row (still does now, too) and I still have the 2nd row seat folded down. It's moved forward enough to give him (and previously dd and now ds2) plenty of room to get back there, but still enough room in the 2nd row for the middle-riding passenger to get by and in their seat (now dd - I switched her and ds2 recently). You could also put him in the middle of the 3rd row, but it will be harder to help him if he needs it and harder to buckle the booster, possibly, since that belt comes out of the ceiling and attaches to a secondary buckle.

Congratulations again and enjoy your new babies (van baby and people baby :D)!

mommy2env

Congrats on the new additions! :D

I have an 06' LE8 and I also :love: :love: :love: it! I currently only have 2 dd's, but my 3yr old nephew is often with us. This is our arrangement:

Regent-second row passanger side
Marathon RF- second row middle
Scenera ff- third row passanger side

I could easily put all three in the second row, but I often ride in the second row to keep the baby happy, plus I dont always have my nephew:rolleyes: If I am driving, then my dh or mom ride in the back. Good luck with the arrangements. :thumbsup:

Caryn

Thank you for the replies :)

I also forgot to mention that my husband coaches a softball team so from April to July every year we live at the field. I figured if I bought the 8-seater I could afford to take out one of the 2nd row outboard chairs and use that space for diaper changes and everything. So I think I am going to have the 5 yr old in the rear (she's a very helpful, mature 5, so she'll do great) and the baby 2nd row driver's outboard and the 4 yr old 2nd row center.

I did, however, think about switching the 4 yr old and 5 yr old so the 5 yr old could help me with the baby if neccessary.

Hmmm. I guess we'll have to wait and see on that one!

Thanks again! I really appreciate it!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Congrats! Your idea of having the outboard second row seat removed at times for easier access to the third row describes how we usually arrange things in our 8-passenger Sienna, too. DD1 rides in the third row center in her Regent, and DD2 rides second row center in her RF Blvd. We previously used a Baby Trend Latch Loc infant seat installed with LATCH and a Graco SafeSeat 1 infant seat installed with the seatbelt in the second row center. DD1 used to ride in a FF Marathon that installed easily with LATCH in any second row seating position or in the third row passenger side or third row center positions. You have lots of versatility in there, lol. Congrats again. :)

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Congrats!!!

I would probably put baby in one of the outboard positions as that is where LATCH is. Using the LATCH system will also help prevent your older children from accident unbuckling new babies seat and not telling you.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The 8-passenger Sienna has LATCH in the second row center seating position, too. ;) The only seating position without LATCH is third row driver's side. Lots of "musical chairs" seating and installation options for the OP. :)

Caryn

The 8-passenger Sienna has LATCH in the second row center seating position, too. ;) The only seating position without LATCH is third row driver's side. Lots of "musical chairs" seating and installation options for the OP. :)

I was about to say that I was sure it had latch when I checked yesterday, but at 6 mnths preggo my brain is not entirely reliable ;)

I can't wait till we take delivery this afternoon and I can get the seats installed etc.

sirrahn

Congrats! Just a tip about diaper changes since you mentioned taking a seat out for that.....

I found that the fold flat front passenger seat made a perfect spot to change my youngest. We had the baby and DD2 middle and drivers side 2nd row (and two oldest in 3rd row) so I could sit in the empty second row seat and change DD really easily. It was also nice to fold the front seat down to get extra maneuvering room if I needed to nurse in the van or ride there if the baby was cranky and needed some mommy entertainment.

We've taken the 2nd row passenger seat out at times, but I find overall I actually prefer to have it there. It can still tumble with no problem for 3rd row access although most of the time, I just have it slid all the way forward and my boys just squeeze past.

Caryn

After riding around in the car for a couple of days, we have realized that we'd like all the kids in the second row, which will work well for us because we only have 3, and we have the power door so they can be getting in one side while I put baby in the other side.

With the 3rd row stowed, we have all the flat space in the world for diaper changes or whatever else we feel like doing!

It's wonderful to have all this space!

We're also going to be ordering 2 Apexes and installing those, so we're getting close to being as safe as we possibly can be.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC