Marathon vs. Radian

U

Unregistered

I just stumbled across this forum and have been reading through trying to decide which car seat to buy for my incredibly large 4 1/2 month old. The seat that he has now still has a bit of room to go, but I want to be prepared to buy the next seat when we go to a wedding in September.

I love the Marathon in the Cowmooflage pattern but I need to base my decision on something other than a cute pattern. Is the Marathon comparable to the Radian? Will one last longer than the other?

Do you have recommendations for a good, cheaper seat for the grandparents cars?

Thanks!

ADS

Vanessa23

Simon is about 18 lbs. at 4 1/2 months and about 27 inches. I would like something to replace the bucket seat that we have (Graco Snugride). We have 2 cars - a 2007 Toyota Rav 4 which is our primary car and a 2004 VW Jetta Wagon.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Are you in Canada? I'm guessing so since it's in this forum, but just checking. ;)

What's your price range? How often will the seats be used in other vehicles? Do you travel by plane or similar much?

The Radian will fit your ds height wise longer than the MA. Both of them will be going to 65lbs - the Radian is already here with 65lb labels, the MA (marathon,) is shipping from Britax in September with 65lb retailers so they should start showing up then.

They are both nice seats. The Radian is known to have some problems being installed in some types of vehicles when using the seatbelt- LATCH is almost never a problem. It's top slots are 1" taller than the MA, although irl most kids have a good 2" of torso growing room left in the Radian when they outgrow the MA.

The Radian is cheaper, so if you're looking at 2 it'll save you money assuming that it's compatible with your car - you'll want to make sure that you can get a solid install ff'ing with the vehicle seatbelt since LATCH has weight limits usually at 40 or 48lbs depending on the car.

Rf'ing the Radian requires the use of a foot that comes with it to get the proper recline angle. Some people find this makes it harder to get the seat more upright - which is desirable with an older baby/toddler because they tend to like to see the world. I personally haven't encountered this problem and I think any seat with either slope or reasonably compressible cushions will allow you to install the seat more upright. Not as upright as what you can get the MA, but definitely more upright than 45 degrees. :)

Both the MA and Radian allow rf tethering. The MA comes with built in lock-offs which are nice for vehicles that don't have locking belts. Most people find the lock-offs a pain to use when installing the seat rf'ing though.

Vanessa23

Yes I'm in Canada - I'm not really that concerned with the price since the seat should last us a few years. I'm hoping to have a daycare provider close by so we don't end up having to buy multiple seats for drop off and pick up.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
There are pros and cons of each seat.

The Radian will probably last you a bit longer, but it can have installation problems in some cars. It fits beautifully in some vehicles and horribly in others.

Mommy090804

I had previously written a list of pros and cons for both seats, but cannot find it, so I'll try to remember a few:

The Radian is one of the narrowest seats on the market. This is great if you are planning to have more than two children or if you will be installing two seats in a car and want to accommodate an extra person. We have two MAs installed in the back of our cars, and there is no way we can drive another adult (or child for that matter) around.

The MA sits higher than the Radian. Your child will be able to see out the window better in the MA, especially if you plan to keep him RFing until 30lbs.

The MA is a beautiful, plush comfortable seat much like a recliner. I don't hear too many comments on a child being uncomfortable in a MA. I have read a few comments about the harness straps being uncomfortable on the Radian, particularly in older children.

The Radian has a longer lifespan. Especially important if you have a smaller child that may not outgrow the seat before the expiry date. Also important if you have another child to pass the seat down to.

Very few install issues with the MA. If you think that you might ever have to install the MA in another car (when traveling, etc), then it shouldn't be a problem. The MA seems to be compatible with most cars.

I do have a bit of a problem that the Radian is made by the same company that markets the Mighty Tite and other aftermarket products. I just don't see how you can make products that you don't even recommend you use with a seat that your company manufacturers. Just throwing my opinion in there.

I know that both seats are great. I would say that if you have plenty of room widthwise in your car (which you do) and money isn't too much of a concern, then go with the MA.

We have two MAs that we love. I purchased the first MA in 2005. I really debated purchasing a Radian for DS earlier this year. I decided on the MA since we already had one and were very happy with it. The MAs are worth every penny. We have also traveled with the MAs, and haven't had a problem installing them on planes. They are quite easy to travel with, but heavy to carry. If you travel often, then you'll need to carry the MA on a stroller or use a luggage cart.

I know there are some people on this board (and the regular board) that have both and would have no problem giving you their opinion on which seat is better.

As far as a second seat goes, typically the Cosco Scenera/Regal Ride is recommended. It is $80-100 in Canada, and the cheapest seat you will find. It's an okay seat. It is a bit of a PITB to install RFing. You will likely need pool noodles depending on the vehicle. Other than that, I would have to recommend (relunctantly) the dreaded Alpha Omega Elite 3in1 would be the next cheapest ($140-$200). It has more padding and is a little bit easier to use (but not necessarily easier to install) than the Scenera. It you have the money, you might want to consider spending $200 to buy a Radian as your "spare" seat. Our options in Canada are very limited. The Graco Comfortsport and Evenflo convertible seats are not recommended. The Graco and Evenflo combination seats are not too bad, but don't RF.

Sorry for rambling, and I am sure that other regulars will have a chance to chime in with other opinions and recommendations. HTH! Of course, reading the regular carseat board will also apply and you may find some helpful info on that board as well...

Vanessa23

Thanks for the responses - I guess since both the seats are pretty similar, I'll go with the Marathon since I love their fabric choices.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC