Question BC regulations for a Van for car seats?

tam_shops

What are the regulations for children in Sunshine Coach Vans for pre-school and/or after school care?

They have boosters for 40# and up children. I suspect they are LBB.

Do they require a head rest?
I know they require a lap AND shoulder belt.

What if there are no shoulder belts, then is it *legal* to have no boosters?

What about those that are under 40#?

What if there is no tether anchor?

I know the drivers are Class 4 drivers, so also wondering if they fall under the Taxi cab *trained* driver so they don't need one, loop hole!

They usually drive a small bus. So the large size/weight, and have lap only belts w/ no boosters. I don't like it, and even ICBC says they don't need boosters, but should have them (can't b/c of lap belts). I thought that was interesting and a nice legal loop hole...

tam

ADS

bubbaray

Not sure where you are going with this, but generally, they are exempt.

Exemptions
36.09 This Division does not apply to the driver or operator

(a) of a motor vehicle licensed in a jurisdiction outside Canada if the driver or operator is using an infant or child restraint system, booster seat or seat belt assembly in compliance with the laws of that jurisdiction,

(b) of a motor vehicle which is being operated as a taxi as defined in section 32.01,

(c) who is a peace officer operating the vehicle in the lawful performance of his or her duties,

(d) who is in possession of and produces on request to a peace officer a valid and subsisting certificate issued by a medical practitioner certifying that the child is unable for medical or physical reasons to wear or be fitted into an infant or child restraint system, booster seat or seat belt assembly, including a child who does not fit within the specifications of any manufactured infant or child restraint system or booster seat that is available for purchase,

(e) of a motor vehicle that was not required to have a seat belt assembly under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) at the time the vehicle was manufactured or imported into Canada unless the vehicle was modified so that there is a seat belt assembly for an available seating position for a child,

(f) of an emergency vehicle, and

(g) of a bus, other than a bus with

(i) a registered model year 1994 or later, and

(ii) a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 4 536 kg.

bubbaray

They usually drive a small bus. So the large size/weight, and have lap only belts w/ no boosters. I don't like it, and even ICBC says they don't need boosters, but should have them (can't b/c of lap belts).

Maybe because I'm not understanding, but is the situation that your children are in a program that uses such a bus/van and you don't like it? I think you need to tread VERY carefully here. If a program HAS a Variety Club bus/van, they got it because they qualify to receive it -- ie, there is a need. If you make a big stink about the van, the program overall is going to suffer.

I am very very familiar with the large Variety "buses" (more like charter buses, not school buses). They have lap only belts. Boosters would not work in those vehicles.

I believe some programs also have 15 passenger vans, some seating positions might have l/s belts in them, depending on model year.

If you are concerned about the safety of your own children riding in such a vehicle, it is always parental choice about whether they do so -- ie., you could remove your children from the program. The programs that I know that use these vehicles don't have the means to obtain other ones and if you shut down the programs' use of those vehicles by making a stink, there is a huge downside that is waaaay bigger than the child restraint issue.

JMHO.

tam_shops

Thanks Melissa!

Sorry, I wasn't clear about why I wanted to know.

Yes, my son is part of an after school care program. They usually have a small bus, w/ lap only belts, which I don't like but it's *legal* and it's only on rainy days and he only goes one day a week. So, I live with it.

However, the bus is broken (temporary) and they now have a van. So, they have a van. I didn't ask, the lady in charge told me and complained (my younger son goes to pre-school there also). So, it was one of those *huh* how does that work questions/comments and I asked what they did for car seats for those under 40# and (they've yet to use the van yet) she didn't know and said she'd have to look into it.

There are also pre-school 4yo's that use the same van for field trips.

I agree with you w/ the quality of the program and thank you for the reminder, should it be *legal*, I won't say another word.

However, if they require car seats, since this is temporary and the 4yos missing a field trip (they go every week) isn't the end of the world. Same thing w/ the 3 Kindergartener's (that I know of) that are not yet 40#s, if it's raining before the bus is fixed, then walking is both safe and legal. We walk home (a farther distance) every day (except the one day he's in OOSC) including in the rain. The kids like it.

I can live with the *law* even if it's not safe, but if it's both unsafe and illegal, then they need to run to TRU and grab themselves a few Maestros, they're even on sale! LOL

As for finding another program, this is the only one attached to our school and I'm a teacher, so other than not working, there are no other options here.

tam

tam_shops

Do you know how much the 15 passenger vans weigh? That's probably what the van is. Probably on the side of the van...

Will weigh ODS and see if he's over 40# and drop off his HBB Monday morning if it's raining...otherwise, pull his GN out. Both safe and legal. :)

tam

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC