Help. Camry/Lexus wrong for car seats?

U

Unregistered

I have a 98 Lexus E300 which I believe is very similar to the Toyota Camry. Car seats do not sit solid in my middle back seat because the center is raised from the belt buckles. Does anyone know of this problem and are there any fixes? No matter how hard we press the seat it won't sit low enough to not be tipsy. Thankyou so much!!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Can you tell us what seat you have, and maybe your child's age and weight, so we can get a better idea of the problem?
Thanks, I hope someone can offer a solution!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Have you tried taking the base off? That might make the seat small enough that it would work in the middle (the manual will have more information on how to do that). And if not, try installing it on the "outboard" or window seat. A well installed seat, even outboard, is extremely safe.
If THAT doesn't work, you should find a carseat technician (link to finding one on top of page) to help you, or try a different seat.
(Carseat Data website closed - link broken) may have info on seats that work or don't work in your car (you might try similar model years for more info, or look for Camries, if they really are that similar...).

Hope that helps a little,

U

Unregistered

Thank you! I checked out the compatibility web-site. It looks like there are no good center fits with any brand of seat. (I did try it w/out the base) My Baby Trend infant seat didn't fit well either. I'll go ahead and move the seat. I guess I'm just so afraid of putting him next to the door, it seems the center is SO much safer but what good is that if his seat is loose. Another issue we have is in my husbands suv, the seat fits nice and snug but sits up so straight that my babys head plops forward when he falls asleep. Should I use one of those swimming noodles? I've heard of people using them but am not sure of their safety. We've tried towels but it seems to make the seat less secure. Thank you again.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC