PICS: Does this booster fit her properly? Thanks!

Athena

(I've got pics! :))

5yo DD has less than half inch of growth in her nautilus harness (in this car, using level to get line parallel to ground), so I wanted to test to see if she will fit in booster mode. I'm posting several pics in hopes of getting some help with this determination. Although I've been reading on here about them, this is our first booster testing experience. To my booster-virgin eyes :D, the lap belt looks promising, but I'm apprehensive about the shoulder belt. She was impatient about the pictures and when she got wiggly, the shoulder belt was no longer over her shoulder. When she moved a little to her left, it looked like it she would have been ejected in a collision, like it was no longer over her shoulder. (but the person with me laughed at me :( like I was expecting too much and I don't really know). I'd really appreciate your trained expert advice. Thank you so much. You all are awesome!

ADS

bubbaray

I actually think the shoulder belt fit looks good, but the lap belt fit in the second photo is a touch high for my liking. If the lap belt fit is IRL more like the 1st photo, it looks good.

hrice

Can you move the headrest up a click and post another picture. It looks like it is on the edge of her shoulder in one pic and the other it looks like she is leaning to one side so it is placed preoperly.

Athena

Can you move the headrest up a click and post another picture. It looks like it is on the edge of her shoulder in one pic and the other it looks like she is leaning to one side so it is placed preoperly.

I was going to take that picture, but when I moved it up, it looked so high above her I didn't. I can do it, but can't today.

I was trying to get her to sit normally, but she was impatient. :(

hrice

I was going to take that picture, but when I moved it up, it looked so high above her I didn't. I can do it, but can't today.

I was trying to get her to sit normally, but she was impatient. :(

And it may just be the angle of the pic. Did the shoulder belt rest midway between her neck and shoulder? My concern is that it is on the edge of her shoulder. The lap fit looks good.

Athena

And it may just be the angle of the pic. Did the shoulder belt rest midway between her neck and shoulder? My concern is that it is on the edge of her shoulder. The lap fit looks good.

I think I should try the shoulder belt on her again and try to get her to sit really straight.

I think I was too distracted by seeing it come off her shoulder when she tilted left ... Any thoughts on that? Does that happen in every booster? Does that mean she's too wiggly to ride in a booster?

hrice

If she is wiggly and leans out of the belt I would prefer to see her harnessed. If she is out of position in a crash it could be deadly. Can you keep a harnessed seat installed and have her booster train on short drives?

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Lapbelt looks good. Half an inch of torso may be enough to make the shoulder belt better than what it is right now. That 1/2" could be 6 months or longer depending on how she grows.

I think I'd wait to worry about the shoulder belt fit until the time comes because it's hard to tell right now as to whether it's ok or not.

It is normal for the shoulder to be able to come out of the shoulder belt if she's leaning over enough.

It doesn't look bad to me right now, but it's always harder to tell in pictures...

Athena

If she is wiggly and leans out of the belt I would prefer to see her harnessed. If she is out of position in a crash it could be deadly. Can you keep a harnessed seat installed and have her booster train on short drives?

I was thinking the same thing, but was wondering if it was just this booster on her because she didn't move that much and I cannot imagine any 5 yo staying perfectly still. She has been completely content to be harnessed and now I am hoping I didn't spoil that by introducing her to the booster idea.

Lapbelt looks good. Half an inch of torso may be enough to make the shoulder belt better than what it is right now. That 1/2" could be 6 months or longer depending on how she grows.

I think I'd wait to worry about the shoulder belt fit until the time comes because it's hard to tell right now as to whether it's ok or not.

Good point. I'm a planner, so of course I had to check now. :eek:

Athena

Also wondering how boosters get buckled. It was hell for me to buckle it (the buckle in this car imbeds way down into the car's seat, making it very hard to reach), so I cannot imagine her managing to do it. The more I think about it, the more I want to keep my eye out for a Frontier deal. She uses one in our main car, it works great for her, and she can buckle herself. Then again, I was already trying to figure out what to do for a third seat and I cannot see buying 2 more Frontiers. But like snowbird said, we still have some time in the nautilus harness. I just like to have a plan ahead of time.

Thanks for the help!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Also wondering how boosters get buckled. It was hell for me to buckle it (the buckle in this car imbeds way down into the car's seat, making it very hard to reach), so I cannot imagine her managing to do it. The more I think about it, the more I want to keep my eye out for a Frontier deal. She uses one in our main car, it works great for her, and she can buckle herself. Then again, I was already trying to figure out what to do for a third seat and I cannot see buying 2 more Frontiers. But like snowbird said, we still have some time in the nautilus harness. I just like to have a plan ahead of time.

Thanks for the help!

My daughter leans way over to buckle herself in our car. She has an easier time in our Outlook because the buckle stalks are rigid in it. I had to buckle her a lot of the time when she first moved to a booster in our car. Combination of short buckle stalk that is at the seat bite makes for difficult buckling with smaller kids.

I seem to recall having troubles with bucklling when I tested ds in the Nautilus to check lapbelt fit awhile ago, but I think I blamed UAS interference at the time IIRC. (Ds isn't moving in to a booster yet, but I wanted to get an idea of what kind of belt fit he was going to have. He actually had a really good fit.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC