Question Just got DD's Riley Proride, something is off with the harness.

purplemama

Update post #19

I went to take pics but the camera battery is dead, I'll come back later and post pics.
Anyway, I got DD's Proride today. I was playing with it and noticed that the harness felt funny. It's the same on both sides, right where the shoulder pads would be on a small baby. The harness goes kinda crooked for about 3-4 inches (one side is a little longer than the other-same strap) and has places where it's like part of the harness is kinda pooched out, not flat. It honestly feels and looks like it's been stretched out :confused:. I have no idea if it'll even show up on pics.

I'll email Recaro when I can get pics. :(

I'm sooo bummed out. I finally pick out a seat and something might be wrong.:crying:

Last edited:
ADS

purplemama

Arrrgghhh, the pics don't really show much. I put a piece of white paper behind the harness for visibilty.

IMG_1747.jpg

IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1753-1.jpg

IMG_1751.jpg

karina250

To me it kind of looks like some strands are too loose while others are too tight. If that makes any sense. I dont know if that harness would be safe to use. I would definitely call.

purplemama

To me it kind of looks like some strands are too loose while others are too tight. If that makes any sense. I dont know if that harness would be safe to use. I would definitely call.

Yeah, like it might be woven funny. But it's on exactly the same spot on each side. :( I emailed, cs never answers the phone but she emails back ASAP.

purplemama

Just heard back from Recaro. :thumbsdown:

These seats are manufactured very close to the time they are sent out. The harness’s come to us packaged and folded up. They just need some time for the fabric to relax. In addition we have added stitching on one side now to aid in helping you confirm that your harness strap is always straight and not twisted. That stitched side is a little stiffer and doesn’t “wrinkle” as deeply before installed on the child restraint. From the review of the pictures by Quality Control, we do not see evidence of any problem with your harness.

The pictures didn't really show how it feels and looks in person. There is something wrong with the harness. What am I supposed to do? Put my kid in a seat I feel is unsafe? Eat the $200? WTF?

kidzndogz

When I saw those pics the first thing I thought was that they look like they've been folded up for a long time and are still wrinkled. Then I saw their response and that's exactly what they said. Maybe give it a few days and see if it changes? I'd use it though; their response seems plausible.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
When I saw those pics the first thing I thought was that they look like they've been folded up for a long time and are still wrinkled. Then I saw their response and that's exactly what they said. Maybe give it a few days and see if it changes? I'd use it though; their response seems plausible.

:yeahthat: I want to see pics of that cover. :) Reppppp ;)

purplemama

The pics just really don't get across what the harness is like. The wrinkley looking spots are very soft and loose, like the harness weave is loose. If it was wrinkled from being folded wouldn't it be stiff? I emailed back with my continued concerns and she said we'll have to continue next week. So it'll sit all weekend and if it gets better, cool. If not I'll see what they say.

purplemama

Just to try to explain a little more what I mean about how the harness is, the funny spots that feel loose are so loose you can see light through them.

Carrie_R

Can you hold it up to the light and take a pic to show that?

Is there anyone (esp a tech) in your area who could give a "second opinion," firsthand? That might help with backup for Recaro.

purplemama

Can you hold it up to the light and take a pic to show that?

Is there anyone (esp a tech) in your area who could give a "second opinion," firsthand? That might help with backup for Recaro.

I have no idea if there is anybody in my area.

I'll try with DH's help to get a pic with light showing through. He's actually the one who realised that it was like that.

I soooo wish I could somehow have people on here touch and see the harness in person, it's so difficult to explain and the pics just don't even help. :(

Kac

Omg, I :love: that! I ran out of rep so am going to "thank" a bunch of your posts instead. :)

purplemama

Just heard back from Recaro. I thought it was a big no-no to pick a seat up by the harness? Still not happy, how can they make an assumption from pictures?

The engineer has reviewed your photos and read your emails. His analysis was that there is nothing wrong with the harness for the child seat. He felt that it looked like the seat was picked up by the harness and the curling web is around the chest clip area. Since the webbing is in the area for a small child, then the chest clip would have been in that area and puckering could have developed. The harness webbing can be pulled back and forth to straighten it some. The slight puckering does not impact the safety or performance of the harness. The engineer even commented that he has seen the same slight curling on his own child restraints for his children resulting by lifting the harness.

Our harness assembly exceeds certification standards in testing and is rated far above what is required in terms of materials. Again the engineers review didn’t reveal anything that would impact the strength or performance or safety of the harness.

Thank you for contacting us Nicole. Our hope is that our review of your issue will ease the concern in your mind.

Thank you for choosing Recaro Child Safety.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards,

Carol Ruscoe

Customer Service Associate

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC