Do any carseats fit as a carry on? (airplane)

lovemybabies924

Am flying to Wisconsin in August and can't afford to get a seat for the baby :( (my other kids can't even come any more :( )

Would I be able to put a radian in the over head bin?

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

ADS

swtgi1982

Likely not as it would be to heavy and they would not allow it. But if you must check it pack it in the original box with all original packaging. That way it is covered if something happens to it. And it is free to check a seat even in the box like that.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If the seat is checked it should be considered crashed. It will not be "covered" no matter how it is packed. Do not baggage-check a seat. Gate-check it if there is no other alternative, but neither checking a seat nor having an infant without a seat is really a safe choice.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The Radian does supposedly fit in the overhead. IIRC so does the CCO? You may need to plan for it to count as your carry-on though.

Is it possible for her to stay home with the rest of the kids instead of riding in an unsafe situation?

ohithere

I just flew to Jacksonville last weekend with my 13 month old son on Southwest airlines with our SK Radian XTSL. It fit great in the overhead bin and none of the flight attendants questioned me on the three flights we stored it up there. We also brought a collapsible travel cart with us to attach the seat to for travel in the airport. I packed the rf boot in my backpack/purse with my laptop/diaper stash. As long as you're not on a puddle jumper flight, it should probably fit.

Good luck with your trip!

swtgi1982

carseatcoach said:
If the seat is checked it should be considered crashed. It will not be "covered" no matter how it is packed. Do not baggage-check a seat. Gate-check it if there is no other alternative, but neither checking a seat nor having an infant without a seat is really a safe choice.

That depends on the airline. Some will cover a seat in original manufactures packaging.

lovemybabies924

carseatcoach said:
Is a Radian plus a carry bag substantially cheaper than an airline ticket, purchased this much in advance?

Ya half lol and I need a radian anyway. I am going to ask to put her in her carseat if there are any empty seats!

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

Eclipsepearl

That depends on the airline. Some will cover a seat in original manufactures packaging.

IF it's still factory sealed. Check the fine print.

Checking a packed seat is really only an option for a pregnant woman or someone taking a seat to someone at their destination, or other case where it's not needed right away. If there is a child who has to use it to leave the airport after arrival, it's not recommended to do this at all, in case of loss.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC