Odd child restraint law.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
After reading a previous post about states with "proper use" laws, I looked up the Virginia law. Take a look at this (bold mine):

46.2-1095 Code of Virginia
Any child up to age eight must be properly secured in a child restraint device approved by United States DOT when riding in a vehicle made after January 1, 1968.

Huh?!? I guess not all vehicles made before 1968 had seatbelts. But maybe the law should be that a child shouldn't ride in one of these vehicles rather than a child restraint isn't needed.

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Right, I think that's when the federal requirement for seatbelts in new vehicles went into effect. So technically a child restraint couldn't be properly installed in an older model vehicle, unless it was retrofitted with seatbelts. I completely agree with you about it being better to not use the car at all to transport a child (or anyone else for that matter) if it doesn't have seatbelts.

southpawboston

i agree that it's better not to have a child in a car older than 1968, but i don't think there should be a law prohibiting it. the law *should* be that for a child to ride in a car older than 1968, an appropriate restraining device would have to be retrofitted.

also remember, child restraint or not, there is no 1968 or older car in the world in which *i* would trust my child (or myself) to be "safe". i don't care if it was retrofitted with 5-point recaros for every passenger. the car itself is not safe in a crash.

skaterbabs

There's no way that law would pass. Because the arguement then becomes, what if there's no other choice for transporting the child? Granted, it's not a reasonable arguement given that even older cars can be replaced without spending a fortune, but it would preclude the law getting passed.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Oh, I don't seriously think a law should be passed saying that...! I guess I was just trying to make the point that it doesn't make sense that if child restraint laws serve to keep children safe, then it should apply to all vehicles and not have a cut-off date for the model year. Do other states have that? :scratcheshead:

nisi

Senior Community Member
Yes, a lot of states have something similar. I don't think I've seen a date specified before, but it usually says something like a child is required to be restrained if they are transported in a vehicle that is required to be equipped with safety belts.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC