Which seat on plane?

squishles10

We have a diplomat and a boulevard 70. DS has outgrown the diplomat RF. we are going to DC and don't plan on using a car when we are there, just the train and walking. DS will be 23 1/2 months but is on the light side- I'd guess he'll be 24-25 lbs for the trip. Is the (smaller, lighter) diplomat okay or no good?

ADS

squishles10

I'm assuming he's too small for a travel vest? How small are they? I'd love to have something to carry around in case we need a cab. I'm not lugging the seat to the zoo " just in case". And he's def not big enough for the airplane one, right? I don't know how they work to know how big he needs to be.

We travel a fair amount so I don't mind getting these if they'd be helpful.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
A CARES harness should be fine on the plane; it's rated for kids 22 lbs and up. I'd either do that or the Diplomat for the plane.

But he is too small for a Ride Safer Travel Vest for a car/cab, unfortunately. A Go Hybrid seat might work in an emergency but it would be a lot to carry around "just in case" and pretty expensive. And I'm not sure but I don't think it's FAA approved either because it requires a top tether (someone correct me if I'm wrong!). That could be an issue in some cabs, also, I suppose.

xursusmaritimusx

do you travel by air a lot? or will you in the next couple of years?
i'd suggest getting a scenera. they are super light weight and personally my favorite traveling seat ever. since you wont be taking any cabs or rental cars in DC you wouldnt have to worry about installing it in a car.

the light weight of the seat seriously makes it so easy to travel with. are you taking a rolling suit case? i use to lay mine on its side on top of my suitcase and attach it with a bungee cord to keep it from falling. it worked nicely.
or set it in a stroller... i assume you're taking one...

you probably dont want to haul the diplomat or boulevard through the airport just to use on the plane....

squishles10

A fair amount. 2-3 times a year. How is the scenera for height ? DS is really tall. And it RF to 40 lbs? I might get it and use it in DH car as the spare. Now we have the Diplomat FF ugh.

xursusmaritimusx

Is your ds really tall in the legs or torso? It has a fairly decent shell and harness slot heights. A lot of kids can rf in it until almost 3 and ff until 4. But if your ds has a long torso he might outgrow it sooner.

There are also a few other seats that are comparable to the scenera. I just suggested it because I loved using it so much and you can find one for around 45.00

squishles10

He's tall in the torso. I looked at a Scenara today at Walmart- $39. The box says RF to 36" and has no mention of a weight limit. The website says to 35 lbs. Which is it? If it's 35 lbs we're good- the back was pretty tall. If it's 36", well, we're at 34" right now and the first trip isn't until May. I think we'll take the Diplomat this May and is it's horrible get a Scenara for the future.

We're taking wheeled bags and I had intended on strapping the seat to the bags. My main concern is we have to take a shuttle then the metro on the other side and I want it to be not too difficult to get around with. We'll also have our stroller (City Mini if it matters) and my Beco carrier with us just in case.

xursusmaritimusx

okay this is where the scenera gets a little tricky.
there are currently 2 versions of the scenera. a 35lb version and a 40lb version
the 35 lb version says you can only rf to 35lbs and 36"

MOST car seat manufacturers also allow the use of the 1" rule, meaning a car seat is outgrown when there is less than 1" of shell space left above the top of the head.... the manufacturers of the scenera have stated that they want people to follow their listed height rule however, many safety tech's are comfortable allowing the 1" rule but that is then totally a parental decision and not advice they are giving (wouldnt suggest going against car seat manufacturers instruction) ....

so in a nut shell... if your child is 36" but still has 2" of space above their head, the car seat makers say the seat is outgrown RF.
if you follow the 1" rule, your child still has 1" of growing room.

so having said that, the same company has on their 40lb scenera a max RF height of 40". They are the SAME seat but apparently they have tested and approved the 40lb version to be used until 40lbs and 40" RF... following??? lol

so..... how much space was left above your childs head in the scenera when RF????

there is also another seat that is the same exact car seat shell of the scenera but it is more padded and has side impact technology
http://www.safety1st.com/usa/eng/Pr...2658-CC041AUI-onSide-air-Convertible-Car-Seat

its a lil bit more expensive than the scenera but still reasonable especially for a travel seat. i just wanted to show you that seat so you can see it.

so basically I think in your situation, i'd hold off on buying a new seat until its closer to your trip and see how your child is fitting at the time... and if all else fails take one of your current seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC