What seat for when TRU trade-in event happens?

equilibrium

I know a lot of the seats but wanted to hear what others thought-just for fun. I'd like to get a coupon in the trade in event (spring usually) for a seat for one of the kids....we have three kids plus one coming in March :) All boys...lol. One however is almost 10, over 105 lbs, 5ft tall and does 5 step. Hardly ever in the van though.

I have a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan Stow N Go. No retrofit so my TAs are middle captain's chairs and centre third row (which ends up taking up a weird proportion of the 60/ split seat) (3).

I currently have ds2-who is almost 23 months RF in a new gen Boulevard with quite a bit of room to grow. He is 29/30 lbs and haven't measured his height. His torso is LONG. Short legs :) He's middle passenger chair.

I have a 5.5 year old in a Nautilus ( ff obviously). Middle row driver side but needing to switch to back row...since baby coming in March. He's 38 lbs with clothes on. He is 112cms/ 44". He is not strong enough to do up the Nauti on his own.

I have a SKJP Radian Premiere (no headwings) in our other car manu from late 2008 or 9.. 5.5 year old uses occasionally and is almost needing to go to top slot. His long neck and head however.....not sure how long until he outgrows this (timewise). He can do this one up on his own.

Baby will use a Snugride 22 but last babe outgrew quick.

So.....

I'm thinking I will switch the Radian to the third row but since there is only one tether anchor-I don't have much choice in where it goes. ugh! Outboard passenger will be the Boulevard still (or driver side) and the other will be the Snugride. Put the Nauti in the car.

I want to buy one seat that I can swap around if needed. I feel a bit limited if I buy another FF seat (Frontier?) but could give the Radian to either Ds2 (long torso) and then babe in Boulevard and have DS (5.5) use the Frontier...or other seat.

Note my 5.5 year old has put on like 1 lb in the last year. He is really lean and skinny and very hyperactive and moves constantly so I am not thinking he will magically gain a few pounds and mature enough for booster-use...

If I kept the Nauti in the van for him, Radian in the car or van for one kid, and kept the Boulevard....another suitable seat for one of them? I need one spare for FF in the car at all times.

ADS

tam_shops

I was hoping for a trade in sale for Feb/March, thought there was one in the past. Know there is often one in the summer, and thought there was one in the fall. Though, thought there were only two a year, so who knows...All kinds of sales come and go...

At any rate, I really like the Maestro for a spare seat. It had harness to 47# and harness height the same as the Nautilus. It's a bit more narrow and light and easier to lift/move.

There is also the new Securekid which has harness to 65#, but it's twice the price. Though, makes a better booster!

I always think cheap for a spare seat...but guess that depends on your budget and how much you plan on using it.

tam

mam521

What about a CA? Versatile because it can RF or FF, no rethread, HIGH harness and lighter to move around if need be. 2 recline angles now...dunno, might be an option, especially until you're ready to booster the 5.5 year old. Then its still useable for the younger boys.

Forgive errors - cruising the mobile app :)

equilibrium

Oh, the CA is on sale now at BRU for like 129! I wouldn't even wait for the trade in event except hubby is like "no more seats yet!!!" LOL. What are the highest harness heights on it? (I can check docs later lol)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Oh, the CA is on sale now at BRU for like 129! I wouldn't even wait for the trade in event except hubby is like "no more seats yet!!!" LOL. What are the highest harness heights on it? (I can check docs later lol)

About 18 to 18.5" depending on how you measure. In-vehicle I'd say more like 18" - Jonas has growing room left in it still - not a lot, but some.

V

VanIsleMommy

for the sale price on the complete air on now, I would be tempted to get it (well I AM tempted to get it but I already have more seats than kids soooo.... :p )

I seem to recall someone here saying the trade in event wouldn't be happening this year. I was really hoping for it, last year I missed it by DAYS and was pretty choked, I have a broken maxi cosi foray that I backed over with the truck (don't ask, I'm still mad!) and have been saving it for two years now waiting for a trade in. maxi cosi won't send me the stupid plastic piece I need to fix it so it's worthless unless I can trade it in.

snowbird25ca

DARN!!! I wonder why...

My guess would be participation levels weren't high enough?

But it's also dependent on carseat manufacturers sponsoring it I think, so maybe there wasn't sponsorship for it this year? I don't know... I know that last year our store didn't have as much participation as they'd hoped for, so maybe it just wasn't popular enough?

techie

Nothing to do with sponsorship.

It didn't drive business into the stores, as a whole. Individual stores may have done well, but as a whole, the business lost money with the program (ie: 100 car seats sold at $100 each, with T&S 100 car seats sold at $80 each). No gain.

U

Unregistered

Damn it. I was waiting for this event to buy Britax Boulevard. I know that Marathon is on sale now but I wanted the Boulevard for the extra TSIP. Any other ideas on how I can get the Boulevard on sale? TIA

acoro

Hmm funny I would think this would be the best year to do it with all the nom compliant seats around. I would be inclined to trade in a non compliant but still usable (to me) seat knowing I can't legally give away my seat when I'm done with it. Gives me an excuse to spend on a 2012 seat if I get a discount shrug

tam_shops

Oh mannnn, I was looking forward to trading my crib in for a spare booster, or something...it's drop side and was never actually recalled, but I don't feel right about selling it/giving it away either...we're still using it as a day bed, so figured I'd give it until the fall.

Wonder if this is Canada and the US, or just here? It'd be an excuse to go shopping by myself! LOL

tam

snowbird25ca

It's funny they've made this decision in a way because I've had customers starting to ask about it too. The one who asked last night seemed quite disappointed.

Maybe the economy has changed enough this year that it actually would be more beneficial this year than last year? Too bad the decision is already made.

V

VanIsleMommy

nooooooooo.... :thumbsdown::( :hitselfonhead: :crying:

well... if the US stores have it I'll be hauling my sad broken beast of a stroller down there. was hoping to put it towards a new car seat but I guess I could pick up a toddler bed or a bike/bike trailer or something.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC