Tech course

laurengt

I registered for the CPST class today!!! It's not until May but I'm SO EXCITED!!!! I feel like I've been waiting for one to come at a date and location I can actually make it to. Anything in particular I should be ready for in the class? Tips from those that have done it?

ADS

djma

It was a breeze. The only things that had me taking notes were the abbreviations for the seatbelt types and locking clip rules.

But it really was easy. You'll have fun!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Just keep reading here, you'll do fine :). Did they give you the link to the manual online? You can read/print the whole thing in advance if you want to really know what you'll learn. Be prepared to volunteer your car for everyone to install seats in, and dress in layers, because most classrooms are too hot or too cold :p

luckyclov

It was easy. Written exams are open book. I scored 100% on all written exams (I only needed to open my book for 1 question - NHTSA's "Selection, Direction, Location, Installation") and passed all hands-on assessments the first try (you get 3).

If you hang out around here, you're already going into it far (and I do mean FAR) more informed than everyone else. You'll do fine.:)

There's space to keep notes in your book. And our course provided a folder, pens, pencils, highlighters, paperclips, a locking clip, post-its, and a coffee mug.

There's going to be some stuff said or taught that you may know to be inaccurate. So, choose your battles. And expect that any battle you may choose will be met with some eye-rolling.

Bring a change of clothes, especially on your seat check day. You never know what someone's back seat is like. I'm serious. Bring a change of clothes. And hand sanitizer you can rope onto your belt loop.

I took it with a buddy so I didn't feel like a dorky outcast. Even though we were dorky outcasts.:p It was actually a lot of fun. Good luck!

chrissymarie107

CPS Technician
I was just looking into signing up for one that's in March but I have to put in a business to register for the CPST site? What if I'm not with a business?

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I didn't put a business.

Good luck! I really enjoyed my class.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
^Yeah that!

I did a check this week in a pair of slightly-too-large jeans and man, did I regret it!

I definitely also second choosing your battles. My instructors tried to say that the Futura was the only seat that had passed HE testing without a tether... wasn't a battle I needed to pick but I was so taken aback that I weakly did so, lol. I mostly chose to not debate what they had to say. My class was very, very rural and the truly, the techs leaving knowing the basics was a HUGE improvement. They were never going to need to know about a Radian safestop, kwim?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC