Double stroller dilemma.. any input? BJCM vs Mountain Buggy?

Polola0628

So #3 is coming along in September-ish.

My DD1 will be 4y9m, and my DD2 will be 2y9m.
DD1 is hugeee. 48lbs and has already outgrown the Radian (she's all torso, I'm not 100% of her height by inches though.)
DD2 is teeny. 25lbs soaking wet and has a 13.5" torso. Her seated height is 20.5"

Right now, our stroller is a Mountain Buggy Duo. I love it. It is another one of my children :love: . It is so easy to maneuver, the basket is big, and my 4yo's head is just now starting to brush the top. The cons: It's HEAVY. 36lbs I think? Yowch. And I live on a 2nd floor, so it really sucks to have to carry it up and down the stairs :( I don't drive, so it's my "car" when I go out without DH. It's a PITA to fold. DD is just now outgrowing it. The car seat we are set on (cybex aton) is not compatible (they don't even have maxi cosi mico adapters, so it's out). The buggy board that it comes with is a scooter.. I'm not too fond of it and would prefer a traditional buggy board.

I don't really feel like I *need* the gigantic tires. I mean, they're really nice to have. And I guess I'd like to keep the stroller for when we go on nature walks and such and *need* to navigate crazy terrain (though realistically speaking I should probably sell the MBD....

I'm looking at the Baby Jogger City Mini Double. The 2011 versions are on sale right now. It's 10lbs lighter than the Mountain Buggy! Wider seats and taller seatbacks. Easier to adjust harness straps... I like it because I can get the car seat in it and my 2yo and my noob can ride in it. I like the buggy board that they offer (Glider Board?) but it only goes up to 45lbs... my 4y2m old is already past that! I guess I'd still use it for when she got tired.. but we walk alot.

I love babywearing, but really only do it when the baby is a noob and can go in a Moby, and when it's nice outside. And since baby is due in September.. I'd be using the stroller for about 2 months (outdoors) before the cold weather hit and I wouldn't bust it out for outdoor use again until say late feb or March, and by then DD1 will for sure not fit in the stroller and the new baby will likely be to heavy for me to want to carry everywhere.

Are there any other stroller options I should look at? WWYD?

ADS

kadora

I'm by no means an expert and am just in the process of trying to figure out a double stroller for our situation, too. I just noticed no one had responded to your question yet and I hate that, so I'll add what I can (which isn't much). :) I've never seen an MBD in person, though right now it's at the top of my list for favorites (I do need the big tires!). I have been able to try out a BJCMD in a store with my kids (and maybe you have, too, already) and was really, really surprised at how NOT wide the seats were. DD1 is 3 yo, 41" tall and only 33 lbs, and she didn't like it. The sales lady got out a tape measure and the narrow part of the seat was 7-8" (I know it's designed to "stretch", but still). We tried a Joovy Scooter x2 and DD had 2" on either side--so 4" wider than she needed. DD1 may have just as comfy in either, and was just responding to me asking her if it felt tight (I mean, she is a 3 yo ;)), but she looked squished. The canopy height was great, though. The Joovy's canopy didn't seem quite as tall, but super wide seats and the both felt about the same when we tested them out in the store. Both sort of veered to the heavy side a bit. (DD2 is 9 mo, 19 lbs) So...probably not helpful at all to you, but it's all I've got! Maybe I should just be asking you about the MBD! :D

ETA: If you don't need the big tires, have you looked at the Zooper Tango? Those are on sale at Albee Baby and while the big tires are one of my "needs", I am still so tempted by these...they have all the accessories with them, take a carseat, fold up easy and stand on their own...haven't seen one in person, there's another thread where someone asked about them, so I keep hoping more people chime in!

Lemonade

Sounds like the BJCMD is a good plan. I have the double and single micro and they are great. By the spring of next year, hopefully your oldest will be able to walk.

If you want something that is comfortable for baby wearing for a larger baby so your oldest can continue to ride, there are the Ergo and similar carriers.

I was going to suggest the joovy Big Caboose but it's also pretty heavy and has a max of 45# for the back seat.
http://www.joovy.com/p-13-big-caboose-stand-on-triple-stroller.aspx

kadora

I would probably sell the MB and get the BJCMD GT when it comes out. I think it's slightly heavier than the regular City Mini double, but has bigger seats & forever air tires, so it will be better outdoors, but still has a fairly compact fold and will be lighter than the Duo.
http://site.pishposhbaby.com/blog/2...-mini-gt-stroller-hot-hot-hot/comment-page-4/

I've read a couple places that the double GT will be too wide for standard 30" doors now...anyone know if that's true?

Rosey

No help with the MB, but I love my BJCMD! I will be taking it through the airport next week with one child and the other side carrying his car seat LOL! It should be a scene. I can't say enough good things. I can get through every door, easy to fold, lightweight, tall seat back. Love it.

Polola0628

So I've reevaluated alot (surprise, surprise!). Had DD1 in the mountain buggy the other day and she has outgrown it :( She is over the weight limit for a buggy board, so we're out of options in that regard. I just can't push a stroller through stores where she's got her legs flailed over the side... and she says it's not comfy for her any longer.

I was going to go with a single mountain buggy.. get a buggy board for my DD2, who will be 3 at the end of this year, and the new baby in the stroller, and if DD2 gets tired of standing on the buggy board, I'll wear the baby and put DD in it. She's *petite*. As for DD1.. she got a nice Specialized bike from her uncle this year, and has already learned to ride it pretty well so I figure she can just ride alongside on that.

I've also noticed that I *do* NEED the big tires. These darned potholes and messed up sidewalks.... sigh.

DH has brought up a good point though... why not just keep our double mountain buggy as opposed to getting a single?

I couldn't form an answer when he asked, but now I think..
A) It's almost as heavy as my first born child (well 12lbs short but still!)
B) Wouldn't it be nice to have both strollers for the zoo and such? just in case my 4yo *needs* a break (and she has low muscle tone, so this is actually often...

Other than that, I'm just going to restrict our walking to a .5 mile area until I'm comfortable with DD1 going further.

Blahhhh...

glockchick

Keep the MBUD. I have one I bought new in 2005 and it's still going strong and looks almost new. I run with my 36 lb, 4 year old and 48 lb 5 1/2 year old in it now. Her head brushes the canopy but she doesn't care. As a bonus, sometimes the 7 year old rides on the footrest when she gets tied.

I've thought of getting rid of it and even tried to a few times, and I'm always glad I still have it. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC