Question Expired with Known History?

mam521

Ok, just an opinion survey here. A person on one of the area FB groups I'm on posted looking for a free carseat. Theirs is about to expire and they have no cash for a new one.

Someone suggested going to the salvage place near the dump to see if they could find one there and just run the serial number for recalls, ect. I cringe at this thought.

So, do I pipe in and say I'd rather see you use your expired seat until we can find you a PROPER replacement since you know its history than one from the dump?!?! We need a coalition to provide seats so we don't have people scavenging from the dump! Neither is ideal, but sheesh...the dump?

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
What type of seat, how old is the kid, and how soon until it expires? Are they the original owners of the current one? Has it been recalled? What kind of condition is it in?

Even if you might find a safe seat at the dump, the likelihood of finding one that wasn't just disgusting is pretty much none. It's too bad she's not up in Edmonton or I could help her.

tam_shops

How does she know the seat at the dump wasn't in an accident?

I would not *ever* get a car seat from the dump and use it, under any circumstances.

I personally wouldn't use a 2nd hand seat from anyone I didn't actually know, but would certainly use one off CL before I used one from the dump, then at least you could ask them if they were the original owner and if it'd been in an accident and/or the straps washed...

I personally wouldn't use a seat that was expired either, but would use my own *recently* expired seat for a few months (in an emergency) before I used a used seat of any kind. And, when I say emergency I mean my kid has to go to the hospital and my dh has the car and the ambulance didn't come. And, yes, in my area, ambulances don't always come, it's happened to me personally...

And, I a *not* a tech, you asked for a poll, further, I wouldn't suggest to a friend in a public forum to use an expired seat over a dump seat b/c of the liability involved...

You never know, someone she is friends w/ may see the note and have a seat they are done with and she's hoping to *tactfully* ask for a free one that way. I've done it w/ winter boots, asking about sales, hoping someone had some they were done w/ I could borrow b/ it was March and we'd be able to use our rubber boots soon enough and I had the next size from ODS for Fall...

tam

Last edited:

mam521

Her current seat is about to expire within the next month. Personally, I'd far rather see her use her seat than one from who knows where!

Liability standpoint, I don't want to say something but at the same time, a seat from the dump?!?!?

And again, with new regulations, she technically isn't allowed to take a used seat unless it meets the 2012 requirements. Its really a catch 22 no matter which way you look at it.

It sucks. I don't have any spare seats. They are broke. It all around sucks.

selinajean

Her current seat is about to expire within the next month. Personally, I'd far rather see her use her seat than one from who knows where!

Liability standpoint, I don't want to say something but at the same time, a seat from the dump?!?!?

And again, with new regulations, she technically isn't allowed to take a used seat unless it meets the 2012 requirements. Its really a catch 22 no matter which way you look at it.

I don't think that the CCPSA prevents her from taking a used seat that isn't compliant, it prevents her from passing one on. Regardless, a seat from the dump is a non-option in my books.

How old/big is the child? Maybe she can save enough up over the next month or two for a new seat?
Perhaps they have a tax refund coming and can get that processed ASAP?

snowbird25ca

What model seat is it? (I ask because my feeling on this is different depending on the brand and what the existing expiration already is.)

The regulations don't affect her taking a seat from anyone, it is only in technicality the person who is giving her the seat. However - if she has a trusted friend willing to give her one, her friend could always "put it out for the trash" and she could conveniently find it. (Really though, nobody is going to enforce the private things happening between individuals - they're struggling to enforce the retailers...)

If she is going to be in Edmonton in the next few months, I have an option for her depending on the age and size of the kid. But the gas money is half the price of a seat or more depending on what she drives, so it's probably not really a very useful offer.

catchthewind

My sister lives in Edmonton and will be going to Calgary on Friday I believe. I don't know how she's getting there, but I can ask her if she would have room to bring a seat along if you want. She will be in the north of Calgary. (No idea where she is in Edmonton, probably close to the UofA somewhere.)

mam521

LO just turned 1 on groundhog day - just a peanut. Current seat was a donated seat from an organization that helps out low income moms. I'm trying to get her actual stats. And, mom was going to FF her, but we're working on that one. I prefer education over scare tactic and far too any people use scare tactic.

CatchtheWind, let me know some details when you find out. I work downtown, so sometimes its hard to get out of the core. But we have friends in Airdrie too.

mam521

Looks like 3 other ladies have all agreed to sponsor $20. With me, thats $80 to buy a 2012 compliant Scenera. I think thats a pretty good deal and yay for the kindness of community! Now I'll make arrangements to get the money together, hit WalMart and hopefully work with mom on installation :)

snowbird25ca

Looks like 3 other ladies have all agreed to sponsor $20. With me, thats $80 to buy a 2012 compliant Scenera. I think thats a pretty good deal and yay for the kindness of community! Now I'll make arrangements to get the money together, hit WalMart and hopefully work with mom on installation :)

What an awesome group of mom friends this mom has. :love:

krissybear25

I saw that post today about looking at the salvage place! My jaw dropped! I was really considering offering one of my seats for her but I do use them even tho it's not often. I'm so glAd that some of the ladies have offered to help pay for a seat for her. It's random acts of kindness like this that keep the world turning :) I hope u can convince her to keep her LO RF! I've never seen a older toddler in Calgary RFing :( and people always give me dirty looks when my 2 1/2 year old climbs into his RFing seat. Anyways I'm rambling now it's time for me to sleep.

mam521

Its a McKenzie Towne and area FB page - the ladies have all come together and just said I can afford $20, so why not? We're not direct friends, but its nice to know our community cares enough to look after this little one.

I'm sad - in our family we have 3 little ones all within a few months of each other, my DS being the oldest of the 3 @21 months. He's the only one RF still. I've tried to preach appropriately to the choir, but to no avail. The part that gets me is the littlest of the 3 (he's about 19mo) has a mom who won't let him sleep with anything in his crib and only sleep sacks him because she's afraid he'll suffocate himself. I'd be FAR more worried about injuriy in a collision than suffocation at 19mo! And Grandpa's reasoning for this is "oh, he's a pretty solid kid". GRRRRRR...solid means nothing when you're not yet 2!

krissybear25

I love the mckenzie Townes page :) the ladies are awesome! It was so awesome that they raised $1900 from the Africa auction! My sister-in-law Jamie is one of the ladies that is gonna help out and put in twenty dollars to get the lady a seat :) It's crazy the things that's some people come up with to keep there kids safe but when it comes to safety in the car they could car less even tho there Is tons of research backing it up. I just don't get it

mam521

So, I'm trying to get our butts in gear...BRU has the CA LX on for $130. This would be an awesome seat for getting the lady's daughter to booster age!

tam_shops

You could always buy it now, keep the bill attached to the box, then if things pan out great, if not, return it and get something with in your budget. Obviously don't open it and check the return policy at your store...

tam

mam521

Apparently you can do online gift cards for TRU...I didn't know :) So, the 5 ladies that have offered $20 each are doing that. The girl its for has a friend who works at TRU and is going to purchase it to get her staff pricing in addition to two $5 off coupons apparently. I don't care how she gets it, as long as she gets it :D

On a happier note, I convinced her NOT to get the Eddie Bauer thats on sale for the same price. I'm going to work on convincing her to RF DD because she's barely a year, not to mention all she saw was the EB seat is good till 100lbs. 65lbs in a CA should get this LO well to a safe boostering age in the future. I dunno, I think the CA is a good deal at $130!

krissybear25

I think that's a excellent seat especially for the price!!!! I have the CA( i paid 145 and u thought that was a good deal)and the safety 1st 3 in 1. I hate the 3 in 1 I only use it to ff older kiddos but I hate it RFing. The CA is way easier to use my only complaint is the harness straps are close together so it sometimes digs inti kids necks but we just pull the neck on a shirt up and it's not a problem. I'm soo glad that shes getting that seat instead of any of the other cheaper seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC