Question American vs Canadian

tam_shops

Trudy's comment on the other thread, got me thinking and confused, so dumb question of the day is, please plot out the differences in the seat names!

Sorry, don't know how to quote and make a new thread. Trudy said:
Just a quick note on this since it's a Canadian manual - Canadian terminology for this type of seat is technically child/booster seats. Different parts of Canada use convertible and combination to describe what US folks call combination seats and what Canada calls child/booster seats. This difference in terminology is why I had to make the switch to Canadian terminology when I became an instructor - I could use a word that could have an entirely wrong meeting if I taught in a different part of the country.

In Canada, we call: this seat: But in the US they call it??

Canada:seat:American
child/booster:Frontier:Is it Combination??
what do we call it??:Marathon:Convertible
?? 3-in-1:AOE: 3-in-1

Any I missed?

Is this right??

tam

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The correct Canadian terminology is:
Infant
Infant/child
Infant/Child /Booster
Child/Booster
Booster

The Canadian terminology sounds complicated and awkward at first, and yet it's very straight forward when you think about it - it simply reflects what standard(s) the seat is certified to.

213.1 is infant
213 is child
213.2 is booster

All the seats that are available on store shelves are certified to one or more of these 3 standards. All ff'ing harnessed seats are certified to CMVSS 213. All rf'ing seats that can rf kids under 22lbs are certified to CMVSS 213.1 (213 as well if they're rated above 22lbs rf'ing) All boosters are certified to CMVSS 213.2.

So it's actually pretty simple to remember the names - I still use 3in1 seats to describe infant/child/booster seats. I guess with the numerous child/booster seats adopting the 3in1 terminology, I need to quit doing that as well...

tam_shops

Still a bit confused for what the Americans call it.

213.1 is infant--what do the Americans officially call this, right?
213 & 213.1 is child--Americans call this a Convertible, right?
213 & 213.2 called an American Combination seat, right?
213 & 213.1 & 213.2--Americans call this a 3 in 1 seat, right?

Do we use the term convertible and/or combination seat anything (correctly) here? Or was that the point, different areas (here) call them different things?

tam

snowbird25ca

Still a bit confused for what the Americans call it.

213.1 is infant--what do the Americans officially call this, right?
213 & 213.1 is child--Americans call this a Convertible, right?
213 & 213.2 called an American Combination seat, right?
213 & 213.1 & 213.2--Americans call this a 3 in 1 seat, right?

Do we use the term convertible and/or combination seat anything (correctly) here? Or was that the point, different areas (here) call them different things?

tam

Some areas call a child/booster seat a convertible and some areas call it a combination seat. In the US they call it a combination seat.

So do we us that term correctly here? Depends on the part of the country you live in whether you're likely to be using it the same way the Americans do or not. Infant seat is the same in both countries so far as I know, and a booster is a booster.

tam_shops

THANKS!

That's why some online stores have 213.1 & 213 and 213 & 213.2 seats in the *convertible* section on their pages! Though, must say I find that less annoying than when they have a GN in a section called infant/child :rolleyes: b/c then at least you can act like the GN converts to a 2nd type of seat! LOL

tam

snowbird25ca

THANKS!

That's why some online stores have 213.1 & 213 and 213 & 213.2 seats in the *convertible* section on their pages! Though, must say I find that less annoying than when they have a GN in a section called infant/child :rolleyes: b/c then at least you can act like the GN converts to a 2nd type of seat! LOL

tam

I think stores just sometimes mess up what area they're putting their seats in. I know that most parents don't go in to the store and call a seat by type - they go in looking for a seat that faces the direction they need. Being correct in terminology matters more depending on the role you have in communicating information. In my role, it's important to be correct and clear, hence the change I made. And once you get used to it, it takes more effort to say convertible or combination seat - I find myself always having to delete and correct comments when I post in the American part of the board. :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC