Adventures in Radian plus the 02-06 Honda CRV (with pics)

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
So I was working with a parent who hadn't gotten a chance to come see me, really wants a radian but they have an 06 Honda CRV. A'la forward of the bight, super narrow buckles. I asked around here but wasn't able to get an answer if anyone had done it - for reference for anyone else, it just can't happen in the center.

0201120931-00.jpg

Where the buckle is. Yeah, lame. I twisted it down a full three times and was not able to get it even remotely low enough to get all the slack out. To make things even more fun, it's a from the ceiling buckle with ANOTHER long stalk on the other side, and the other side is set about as far forward. Nice move, Honda.

0201120935-00.jpg

Here it is outboard with the seat belt, and it was nice and solid, but VERY reclined and I'm pretty sure it would've just continued to recline especially with a child in it.

0201120935-01.jpg

There's how much I had to move the passenger seat forward.

I think it would probably be ok with an angle adjuster, but I didn't have one handy to try and this particular scenario was for a 4 month old anyway. Bummer for them.

ADS

Malka

That IS a bummer! I wonder if having seat belts forward of the bight is to help with seat belt positioning over the hips instead of the belly?

mom of six

I am probably showing my unlearnedness here, but could you borrow the outboard latch anchors for the center install. Before you all pass out from shock...it is allowed by Diono (from the FAQ page at Diono)
Can I install Radian in a center seating position using LATCH / UAS?
Diono allows installation utilizing non-standard LATCH/UAS anchor spacing with Radian
a) if the vehicle mfg allows the use of LATCH/UAS in a middle seating position and
b) if user can achieve a tight car seat installation as per Radian’s instruction manual and
c) if lower anchor spacing is between 11” and 14”. Important: Only one child seat LATCH/UAS connector can be attached to a vehicle lower anchor at any one time.

Then it would depend on Honda. I do not have a LATCH manual so I can't check. According to the chart at thecarseatlady blog it is allowed in the later CR-V model years. It just seems a shame to not be able to install such a great car seat in that car.

skylinphoto

These are the same probs I had installing my radian in my grandfathers crv (his has leather seats so it sucked even more!).

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org

KaiLing

I am probably showing my unlearnedness here, but could you borrow the outboard latch anchors for the center install. Before you all pass out from shock...it is allowed by Diono (from the FAQ page at Diono)

Yeah, I don't have my LATCH manual in front of me either, but the CRV I last encountered was 04, I think, and didn't yet have the extra LATCH anchor that would make that possible. In the newer ones there's a fifth anchor somewhere in the middle and you can do a cross over thing, if I recall correctly. But before that I think the CRV is just like any other Honda 2 row vehicle: two positions, no borrowing. Total bummer.

mom2juliarose

SOMEONE here does have it in their center seat in that generation. I say this because I have an '05 and always pipe in that I can't get it RFing and in one thread someone actually said that they have it in. Let me see if I can find out who it is.

It's too overreclined outboard and won't work in the center. That center seat is a total PITA. Does anyone know if the 3rd generation ones (2007-2011) have that same forward-of-the-bight seatbelt in the center?

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I am probably showing my unlearnedness here, but could you borrow the outboard latch anchors for the center install. Before you all pass out from shock...it is allowed by Diono
Then it would depend on Honda. I do not have a LATCH manual so I can't check. According to the chart at thecarseatlady blog it is allowed in the later CR-V model years. It just seems a shame to not be able to install such a great car seat in that car.

Yeah, I don't have my LATCH manual in front of me either, but the CRV I last encountered was 04, I think, and didn't yet have the extra LATCH anchor that would make that possible. In the newer ones there's a fifth anchor somewhere in the middle and you can do a cross over thing, if I recall correctly. But before that I think the CRV is just like any other Honda 2 row vehicle: two positions, no borrowing. Total bummer.

Yeah, it's only the newest generation - 07-present, it has a 5th anchor so that you can do a center LATCH install. 06 & earlier only have a standard two outboard sets that do not allow borrowing.

SOMEONE here does have it in their center seat in that generation. I say this because I have an '05 and always pipe in that I can't get it RFing and in one thread someone actually said that they have it in. Let me see if I can find out who it is.

It's too overreclined outboard and won't work in the center. That center seat is a total PITA. Does anyone know if the 3rd generation ones (2007-2011) have that same forward-of-the-bight seatbelt in the center?

The 07 & up don't have the same forward of the bight belt, but it does have annoying plastic hinges that can make it a huge pain installing there. And you have that 5th anchor so you can do a LATCH install in the center too.

And props to them if they could make it work but man, I've done a lot of tough Radian installs and I did every trick I know and it just was not happening lol.

NatesMamma

Yeah, the center seat in the 2nd gen CRV totally sucks. I love the car, but if I would've known what a PITA it is for carseats, I think I would've chosen something else.

Kinda off topic, but the MR does fit in the center seat RF, and so does the TFP. It took me more than a year (seriously!) to figure out the trick to installing the TFP, but now that I have the hang of it, it's a beautiful install. That said, I suspect the regular TF and the TFR wouldn't work as well. I think they might get hung up on the hinges in the seat bight, although I've never played around with them. The recline bar on the Premier pushes the carseat just far enough back from the vehicle seat that it clears the hinges. I've managed so-so installs (<1" but not completely solid) with a RF CA and RF Avenue there, too.

mom2juliarose

Kinda off topic, but the MR does fit in the center seat RF, and so does the TFP. It took me more than a year (seriously!) to figure out the trick to installing the TFP, but now that I have the hang of it, it's a beautiful install. That said, I suspect the regular TF and the TFR wouldn't work as well. I think they might get hung up on the hinges in the seat bight, although I've never played around with them. The recline bar on the Premier pushes the carseat just far enough back from the vehicle seat that it clears the hinges. I've managed so-so installs (<1" but not completely solid) with a RF CA and RF Avenue there, too.

Yup, we have a MR in the center of my '05 RFing. The regular TF we had didn't work in that position.

NannyMom

The TF does work but it takes forever, alot of sweat, and some cuss words. The My Ride however was made for that spot! Easiest seatbelt install ever!

NatesMamma

The TF does work but it takes forever, alot of sweat, and some cuss words. The My Ride however was made for that spot! Easiest seatbelt install ever!

The regular TF or a TFP? I actually have the TFP install down to <5 min and it's solid! Probably the best install I've even been able to get with any seat in any car, actually. I found that the key is just making sure to thread the seat belt through the lock offs in the right order/way. Before that, I kept having the belt slide down into the lock offs, and then the install loosened as I would try to maneuver them in.

The MR does install super easy in that spot, but I hate how tippy the MR is in general. I either end up using a locking clip or having to reinstall every few weeks, especially once DS climbs in and out on his own a few times and wobbles the seat around. :rolleyes: OTOH, the MR installed with LATCH, now that's a dream install! LOL

NannyMom

The regular TF or a TFP? I actually have the TFP install down to <5 min and it's solid! Probably the best install I've even been able to get with any seat in any car, actually. I found that the key is just making sure to thread the seat belt through the lock offs in the right order/way. Before that, I kept having the belt slide down into the lock offs, and then the install loosened as I would try to maneuver them in.

The MR does install super easy in that spot, but I hate how tippy the MR is in general. I either end up using a locking clip or having to reinstall every few weeks, especially once DS climbs in and out on his own a few times and wobbles the seat around. :rolleyes: OTOH, the MR installed with LATCH, now that's a dream install! LOL

I think it was the TF that I had in there.

I installed the MR and was concerned about the tipping, so I took out the seatbelt and quickly put on a locking clip, easy peasy. And I am not one that usually calls locking clips easy ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC