Which is safer... middle or outboard (toddler vs. infant)???

waterbaby

I was under the impression that given the choice, infants should go middle, toddlers outboard, if needed.
Just heard someone mention that infants should go outboard and toddlers middle b/c infant seats offer better side-impact protection than toddler seats???

Is that really true? I've always believed just opposite (not necessarily re: side-impact comparisons, but that infants should always go in the middle if possible).

If that's the case, is there a link I can forward to support this?

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
RF is the safest seating position and every step forward you down grade a bit in safety (ie. RF to FF, FF to booster, booster to seatbelt). The middle is the safest seat in the vehicle so if you can get two seats beside each other then putting the least protected child (the FF one) in the middle gives them a bit more protection.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
If the toddler and the infant are both RF, put the toddler outboard and the infant in the middle.

If the toddler is FF, put the toddler in the middle and the infant outboard.

That is assuming you can get a great install in both positions, of course.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Right: the safest is whichever configuration allows for the most secure installation (less than 1" movement at the belt path as per both carseat + vehicle manuals) -- when both seats fit all backseat positions well, then the FF child would go center because RF is safer ... mostly because then there's less risk of the FF child impacting the vehicle interior (Crash phases = 1. vehicle into object 2. occupants into vehicle interior 3. internal organs into skeletal frame) & since each step up in seat type is actually a *demotion* in safety, it doesn't matter what the age of the child is, the less protected passenger should be in the most protected place (center being furthest from point of impact). But, again, this all depends on CORRECT USE as per both manuals. If the FF seat does not install well in the center with less than 1" movement but it does install tightly outboard, then it should be outboard. Each seat must also be independently secure! If the only way that they can be independently secure is to have each outboard then that is what should be done.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
If the toddler and the infant are both RF, put the toddler outboard and the infant in the middle.

This is probably what I'd do as well, but it could really depend on the vehicle.... Sometimes a taller RF convertible seat pushes the front seats too far forward (there must be at least about 10-12" between the front occupants' faces & the airbag) so if the convertible fits better in the center for more overall safety of all occupants then so be it :twocents:

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I was wondering about this....my CPST instructors ALL told me this is wrong during my class.
We had these seating scenarios, and I would always put the child sitting in a belt or booster in the middle, and the infant in a RF seat outboard, and it was always marked wrong, and I was told SPECIFICALLY and REPEATEDLY by more than 4 instructors that the INFANT would ALWAYS go in the middle, because the infant was the most vulnerable person

I meant to ask you guys about that, but forgot about it until now (became pregnant during my course, have been in M/S heck since then, LOL! )

So...why did they tell me that? And how could 5 different instructors from several different counties and one from another state all say the exact same thing but have it be wrong?

waterbaby

I was wondering about this....my CPST instructors ALL told me this is wrong during my class.
We had these seating scenarios, and I would always put the child sitting in a belt or booster in the middle, and the infant in a RF seat outboard, and it was always marked wrong, and I was told SPECIFICALLY and REPEATEDLY by more than 4 instructors that the INFANT would ALWAYS go in the middle, because the infant was the most vulnerable person.

Like I mentioned, this was my belief, too... hence, this post. ;) Yes, a FF child is less protected in a rear-/front-end crash. But from a side-impact, is an infant "more" protected in a bucket seat vs. toddler in a convertible? Of course, we don't want either to be hurt, and kids are pretty resilient, but I'd rather the older/bigger/stronger one be on the side, kwim? BUT, if there's more side-impact protection in the bucket seat, I can understand that angle, too.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
The scenarios from my class had lap-only belts in the center in which case the booster must be outboard.... I remember my instructors prefering based on experience to put the infant in the center, but the curriculum saying to put infant outboard with FF *harness* center (I could be wrong about it being in the curriculum, but it has definitely been drilled into me at Lifesavers + my regional NHTSA conference that RF is safest & the least safe seat goes center so long as correct use is achievable).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC