3 across in a '10 VW Tiguan

nutritionistmom

CPST Instructor
Can I get some help with this please? My friends are expecting baby #3 shortly. They drive a Tiguan which I'm told is roughly the same interior as a Jetta.
Currently they have:
DS - 4 yrs - 35lbs - 41.5" FF in a classic Marathon
DD - 2.5 yrs - 25lbs - 35.5" RF in a classic Marathon
They own a Peg infant seat but are fine using a convertible right from birth.
They are also okay with purchasing all new seats to make this work, so anything goes.
Should also add that Mom and Dad are both pretty tall so it may be challenge to get something RF behind the driver.
Thanks for your input! :D

Kelly

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I've seen 3 across in a 2010 Jetta that was a 3in1 with armrests, 3in1 without armrests (the non-elite model,) and a baby trend infant seat.

So they may be able to keep using one classic MA. A baby trend fit in the center position of the jetta with room to spare although I don't know what the front seat spacing would be like in a Tiguan as to whether or not the handle would be easy to put down. It's such a narrow seat though and the seatbelt spacing in the center position made a tight seatbelt install very easy in the case of the car I saw.

So maybe a radian that they could use ff'ing plus a baby trend infant seat? One of the Marathons is likely close to expiring anyways I'd guess with the child being 4.5yrs old?

They could give the Guide 65 a try if they wanted to replace the rf'ing Marathon instead - at a more upright angle it wouldn't take up much room at all. They're already exceeding the 32" numerical limit on the classic MA, so I'm guessing the 36" numerical limit on the guide 65 wouldn't be a big deal to them. There's the complete air as well - I don't know how it compares in width to the guide 65 or vice versa, but I know there was a member here with a saturn astra that had a ff'ing radian in the center with a rf'ing complete air and later a ff'ing complete air on each side, so they're pretty narrow seats overall.

I actually don't think they'll have a big problem with finding a combo of seats that will work - I was amazed when a 3in1 with armrests worked in that 3 across a customer was trying because those armrests add a lot of width. Are they able to meet you at a BRU to try different combos of seats?

nutritionistmom

CPST Instructor
Trudy, we do have a BRU right here and I'm on good terms with the director so it shouldn't be a problem to try some seats out.
Thanks for the suggestions.

tam_shops

We do 3 across in a Jetta every summer for our d/c lady. Hers is older, it has does have latch but we use seatbelt installs.

The biggest problem I've found is getting seats to RF, but the seats are back for a child front passenger and b/c she is tall. She also isn't really *interested* in ERF and when I saw that it was *illegal* to ERF in the Scenera (YDS too tall) and he was on the top slots anyway, I skipped it and we went for a 2nd Maestro.

There were 2 things that fit.

Maestro: Scenera: Maestro

We did take the cup holders off the Maestro not b/c of a fit problem but b/c they were hitting the doors and making them hard to close. One of the inside ones then popped off b/c it was rubbing the Scenera in a funny way, but Evenflo has caps to cover the holes, you just have to phone and ask for them.

Also, the friend will like this, we tried the MA in there also and it fit fine on one side in place of the Maestro. We didn't wind up doing it b/c she didn't like how far up the MA sat on the base and felt it was easier to get kids in/out of the Maestro. I was fine w/ this and sold the MA to pay for 1.5 oft he Maestros anyway! LOL

We did not try a MA on either side of the Scenera, but I don't recall the MA taking up any more space than the Maestro did...

Since she is planning on doing this long term, I'd try ordering a RN off WM since it'd be easy enough to return and then see if it fits w/ the MAs in the car. She may get off lucky and only have to buy one new seat...Otherwise, I'd then try a Maestro and/or Scenera, only b/c I know they fit in a Jetta.

With the RN in the middle, she may get lucky and fit a MA on one side and bucket on the other. Even if she has to install the bucket w/ out the base or buy a more narrow bucket (if she wants one).

tam

mam521

I've managed to squish in a HB TB, Nauti and MR, but it was TOUGH because of the dumb cup holders on the Nauti wanted to force the MR to rotate outwards. I suspect I could MUCH easier get the Maestro in, especially without the cup holders. Thats I suppose a saving grace about the MA - it sits up a bit higher so something *should* be able to kinda sneak underneath the shell side.

Radian with an angle adjuster would probably work fine for the ERF'er. That angle adjuster is a beautiful, beautiful thing!

U

Unregistered

I know this is a super old thread, but I'm wondering what ended up working.

We have a 2012 Tiguan and today I installed three across:
RF Clek Fllo (LATCH)
FF Radian (seat belt)
Uppababy Mesa (LATCH)

Obviously I need to have it checked by a tech, but everything is tight and seems properly installed. Unless I'm missing big no-no's when puzzling seats, as I didn't do anything weird...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC