flying/moving overseas help!

martygras

Someone please tell me the ETA fits on a plane!

We're PCSing to Japan in the Spring and I'm stressing over the car seat situation with DD (currently 25 months and was 32" and 22lbs at her 2-year well baby). She currently rides RFing in an ETA and a MyRide. I'd love to bring the ETA because she LOVES that seat, we drove cross-country (4800 miles in 10 days) and she was content and cried for a total of maybe 15 minutes. But I'm almost positive that's unrealistic.

Which leaves me with the dilemma of what to use. I'm willing to buy a new seat, but am not sure what to buy. DD really doesn't like the Radian (we've tried multiple times and she screams as soon as you put her in the seat).

Help please!

ADS

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
What's the reason you can't bring the ETA? Are you worried it will be too big for your car or won't fit on the airplane?

martygras

I'm afraid that it won't fit on the plane, or that it will be uncomfortable to sit next to. I'd like to be at least semi-comfortable especially is we end up having to fly commercial instead of on Patriot Express.

DaniannieB

How long do you want to keep your DD RF? Her measurements are on the smaller side, so you do have more options when it comes to that. How long will you be in Japan (or how long does this seat need to last)? What's your budget for a new seat? Basically you're wanting a seat that will fit well on the plane (be comfy next to) and work in Japan... that's not the Radian?

martygras

We will be in Japan until DD is about 4.5 years old. We had no plans to turn DD FFing until she out grew her seats. We're fine with paying whatever we have to for a new seat.

You're right, I would like a seat that fits well on a plane, we'll probably be flying back to the States to see DSD once a year while we're over there. I know the Radian is the seat that would work best, but DD literally melts down every time she gets near one and I honestly don't know if I have the patience right now to even see if she'll start to like it (plus I'm probably resigning my teaching position a month before school ends, so I'd rather not spend $200 on something that won't work).

Are there any other seats that work decently on a plane and still make a good primary seat? We have a Scenera, but I'm not comfortable using it everyday because it doesn't have any EPS foam and DH hates the harness adjuster (and we'll have to use the seat for at least 3 weeks before we leave the States).

DaniannieB

The Combi Coccoro works wonderfully on the plane and is well padded. It's downfall is that it's expensive for how long it lasts. It only RF to 33# and FF to 40# with similar shell height and top slots to the Scenera.

If you like Evenflo seats, the Titan or Tribute would last about as long as the Scenera and both have EPS foam.

The Safety 1st Avenue would last a little longer than the Scenera (taller shell and top slots but same weight limits) and has EPP foam.

There really aren't a lot of seats out there that are narrow for use on the plane but will last a long time in the car, besides the RN. Do you know what it was that she didn't like about the RN? Do you have the option of shipping a car seat there?

martygras

We had a CCO until I totaled my car in December 2010... I'm mad that I didn't buy another one! I put her in one last week and it looks like she is close to outgrowing it RFing (although I'm kind of wondering if she was sitting on the buckle... it was right after we put her in the Radian and she was still screaming).

I have no idea why she hates the Radian... She won't even sit in one in the store, but has not problem sitting in the other seats.

We're going to ship whatever seats we're not taking on the plane with our unaccompanied baggage... but that means we'll be without those seats for at least 3 weeks (assuming our UAB gets there before us... which is a big assumption). We could probably ship a seat to our sponsor, but I'd rather not have to deal with moving the straps and installing a new seat in a foreign car after traveling for 24 hours.

jasminegrl

Honestly you'll be more comfortable flying commercial than on the patriot I've done both and the commercial flight was much nicer. I have never owned either of those seats so I can't help you there but I can tell you that a radian does not fit rear facing in most Japanese cars, we ended up buying a van because we could not get a good fit with it in our Escudo without the front passengers etin the dash or steering wheel.

jasminegrl

Oh and make sure you put a locking clip in your carry on, most vehicles that I have encountered here do not have the type of belts you can lock for car seat installs.

DaniannieB

If she's close to outgrowing the Coccoro, she probably only has about an inch more in the Scenera and seats of that size. The Avenue would give you 2-3" more height over the Coccoro. Really, though, except for the RN, as seats go up in height, they also go up in shoulder width (which is what is going to make them more uncomfortable to sit next to).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC