Outdated info in school handbook.......

emandbri

My 3 year old starts preschool Friday and the handbook had a typo and old info on car safety that says

age weight type of restraint
birth to one year birth to 20 lbs, rear-facing
1-4 years, birth to 20 lbs 26-40 inches forward facing
4-8 years 40-60 lbs booster seat.

They obviously meant to say 20 to 40 lbs for 1-4 years, no mention of rear-facing past a year, and boosters only to 60 lbs is pretty outdated.

I wasn't sure if it was okay for me to contact them or not since I'm not certified and e-mailed the safe kids guy here to ask.

ADS

MomToEliEm

What kind of school handbook is this? Is it for a daycare, public school, private school? Was it just a small handbook that was reprinted every year or a bound high quality book that was published by a seperate organization?

For any of these organziations, I think I would still address the issue with someone. I would first try to find a point of contact for the handbook. Then I would try and figure out what wording I would want in the handbook, and probably write up what it should read so that would give them an idea of how it really should read. I would make sure to include something about rear facing past 1 year.

emandbri

It is for a preschool that is through the school district, lucikily everything else written was okay except for that little box with info. I would bet that most of the info in the handbook is the same from year to year with only minor changes. I got some info sheets from the safe kids cordinator and I'm going to pass them along!

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Um, you're a parent/customer. Of course it's ok for you to contact them! Just don't imply that you're currently certified. Cite your sources (e.g., the AAP, Safe Kids, etc), and you'll be fine.

emandbri

I just didn't want to step on anyone's toes if they were already working with someone. I did e-mail the director of the preschool and seemed glad to know that it was outdated. We'll see what it says next year.

emandbri

Bumping this up because I got the handbook for this year. It is a little better.

It is a little chart

approximate age of child approximate size of child type of child restraint

premature/low birth weight infants premature/low birth weight infants infant car bed

birth to one year birth to 20 lbs rear-facing infant restraint

one to 4 years old 20-40 lbs 26 to 40 inches forward facing restraint 5-point harness

4 to 8 years 40 to 80 lbs or 4'9" booster seat

The stuff I forwarded to the school from the safe kids cordinator said clearly rear-facing to the weight limit of the seat.

She also stressed for parents to leave kids buckled until they get to the curb to drop them off. Right now parents unbuckle kids as soon as they get in line and they jump around the car, get in the front seat, put their heads out the windows, and out sunroofs!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Gosh, would it really be too difficult for them to simply ask permission to use the updated NHTSA 4 steps diagram? :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC