How to tell people

dd9736

Ok, so a surprisingly HUGE amount of people I talk to believe that it's more dangerous to leave a child rearfacing longer, than to turn them ffing as soon as possible. they think that their child could break a leg, I usually tell them I'd prefer a broken leg to a broken neck, and the other day I went all out describing what happens in a crash.
My question is, how do I tell people why it's not dangerous to rearface after their feet can touch the backseat, without sounding rude by saying "I'd rather a broken leg (Hip, w/e their concern) than a broken neck"?
I think because I feel the way I do about carseats, and it's more extreme than anyone around me, I'm starting to sound like a know it all to my friends.

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Do you have links to some of the videos that you can show friends?

There has never been a documented case of broken legs in a collision as a result of rf'ing. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends rf'ing to the limits of the seat, and while the Canadian academy doesn't have the same recommendation, the alberta occupant restraint manual clearly states the benefits to remaining rf'ing.

I often approach people in an "I had no idea (fill in the blanks) that (fill in the blanks) was so important" or whatever - make it sound like I learned something that I just *have* to share with everyone.

There's always the whole side impact collisions are most dangerous/deadly, and a ff'ing child is 4 times more likely to be seriously injured or killed than a rf'ing child in a side impact collision. I also find it helps to explain the whole force being distributed along the entire back and the seat shell spreading out the force as opposed to how the whole head would go forward if a child was ff'ing.

There's also some neat anatomy at this link: (vertabrae and fusing info - from a textbook.)

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=13&topic_id=44503&mesg_id=44503&page=2

Ultimately, some people will just roll their eyes at you, get tired of hearing about it, and you'll just have to bite your tongue. They'll just have to accept though that you're following best practice by keeping your child rf'ing, and that if they don't want to believe the facts, that's their problem. Remember this - legal does not equal safe.

And hey, like I said before - if you think they'll believe someone with official education and certification, put them in touch with me. :whistle: Maybe they'd change their tune hearing it from someone else?

BudgieStew

Actually I do believe there is a statement on Transport Canada's website stating that you should RF to the limits of the seat....:thumbsup:

Off to find it again hopefully(I find government website are a never ending maze) and and will link to it.
If someone asks I share otherwise I hope to lead by example.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Actually I do believe there is a statement on Transport Canada's website stating that you should RF to the limits of the seat....:thumbsup:

Off to find it again hopefully(I find government website are a never ending maze) and and will link to it.
If someone asks I share otherwise I hope to lead by example.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/childsafety/1234/stage1/menu.htm
safetytip.gif
Don’t be in a hurry to start using a forward-facing child seat. The longer you use a rear-facing infant-only seat, infant /child seat, or infant/child/booster seat that fits correctly, even past your baby’s first birthday, the safer your baby will be in a crash. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for use and check the label for the weight and height that are allowed.
:thumbsup:

BudgieStew

I found it like two seconds later edited my post but it seems to be stuck on reposting it..odd.
Don't be surprised if it finally comes through.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC