Need to replace Touriva

niccig

Yes, I have a Touriva with those u-shaped notches that have been linked to injuries and one death. This seat will not be used again, I'll destroy it properly. It was our spare seat/travel seat, I got it so that it would fit on Qantas planes - they have a 16" max width. But as it's such a pain to get prior approval for your carseat etc, I can just make sure we fly either United or Air NZ, who don't have silly carseat rules and I can take any seat.

In my car I have a BV, DH's car has a Safety First Uptown. DS is 2.5 yo, RF, 27.5lbs and I have to come back with torso measurement, but he's short for his age. I had just moved the touriva's straps to the 2nd from the top. He's got plenty of growing space in the Uptown and tons in the BV. He's going to RF until maximum, he'll make it to 4 I think, and he will also be harnessed FF as long as possible.

So, my dilemma is what seat to replace the Touriva. I can just keep the 2 seats we have, but it's been nice to have an extra in the garage to use with other kids, and starting Sept. the babysitter will pick DS up from preschool one day a week. I can leave one of our seats there and re-install.

OR, I can get a new seat for DH's car and use the Uptown as the spare seat. DH's car is a 2004 Prius, the BV fits great RF. I could get another Britax or one of the new Recaros. I want the most bang for my buck. I had planned to move the BV to DH's car when the Uptown was outgrown, and get something like a Regent for my car, and then something for DH's car when the BV was outgrown. I just don't know how best to spend the $$, so it's wisely used but safe for DS.

Any advice...

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Although I prefer the Uptown over the Scenera because of the EPS/EPP foam, I have a Scenera as my spare seat for any kids that could ride RF -- it doesn't have the notches (but it also doesn't have EPS/EPP foam or much comfort padding) for only $35-50 which would better allow you to save towards a fancier more expensive high weight harness option :)

niccig

I had read that the Scenera doesn't have the notches. But I'm really dubious about Cosco. I bought my Touriva in September 2005, FIVE years after red flags were raised about the notches. It leaves a really bad taste in my mouth that it took THAT long before something was done about it. I do know that other manufacturers may do the same thing though.

We can afford a more expensive seat than the Touriva/Scenera - I got it because of QANTAS' silly carseat rules. I suppose my question is, if I want an extra seat, should I go for a new recaro that I'm pretty sure DS will fit for the next 6 years making him 8.5yo. Or, get a scenera for the occasional use and keep using the uptown in DH's car and then upgrading to a higher weight FF only seat when DS outgrows that?

Decisions, decisions, decisions. I wish I had a magic ball to work out how big DS will be when he's 6!

trailrunnermom

Yes, I have a Touriva with those u-shaped notches that have been linked to injuries and one death.

Can you call Cosco first and ask if they'll replace it with a Scenera? It's worth a shot -- if you just need it for a spare/travel seat, then the Scenera will be good to have (and you can spend the extra time and money deciding which seat you *really!* want!) :)

I hope Cosco will replace it for you --

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
If the Recaro appeals to you, and money isn't a deciding factor, go for it! It should be a very nice seat.

If you don't need it immediately, I'd wait until the seat has been out at least 3-6 months, however, before buying it. A lot of times, there are some minor adjustments made after customers start using a seat in a variety of vehicles with a variety of kids, so if you wait until that initial "beta testing" (for lack of a better term) is done, you won't have to deal with the hassle of installing new parts or whatever, if that becomes necessary.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the new Recaro seats to replace my 2nd Marathon when it expires in 2008.

Loves2sing

Have you looked into the Radian at all? Just because you mention travel, it makes me think that this could be a good seat for you. It a dream on airplanes.:twocents:

ZephyrBlue

I wouldn't buy the Scenera (or any Dorel seat). If you can wait for the Recaro, that sounds like a great seat that your ds will get lots of use out of. The Radian for travel ease might work better for flying- how easy is it to install on airplanes, though?

niccig

I thought about the Radian, but I'm not sure about the installation issues and it takes up a lot of room RF. That wouldn't be an issue in DH's car, but it could be in mine. The BV fits better in his smaller car than it does in mine!
I'm still on the fence re. seats though, so I'll think about it.

niccig

If the Recaro appeals to you, and money isn't a deciding factor, go for it! It should be a very nice seat.

If you don't need it immediately, I'd wait until the seat has been out at least 3-6 months, however, before buying it. A lot of times, there are some minor adjustments made after customers start using a seat in a variety of vehicles with a variety of kids, so if you wait until that initial "beta testing" (for lack of a better term).

I would like to wait and see what it will be like. I would hate to get burned with a seat that just doesn't work. It's difficult to know on something that no one has seen yet.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC