Mazda 5 and MPV

MorgieBear'sMama

I have come to realize my MVP has 232,xxx miles on it and may need to be replaced soon, although she has no problems now :)

I am thinking Mazda 5. Can anyone tell me the difference in the two?

And most importantly, will a full size double stroller fit in the 5? The BJCMD I have been dreaming about will be mine soon :)

Trying to type on a tiny touch screen is hard, please forgive my typos.

ADS

tl01

The Mazda 5 is much smaller than a regular minivan. I rented one recently while my Ody was in for service and figured out that the 5 is not for me. I don't know how many full size strollers would fit in the back. The trunk is really small with the third row up and there are only two seat in the second row. The trunk doesn't have the well area like a minivan has so storage is much more limited. I could see quickly that using a 5 for traveling would never work. I doubt I could get a stroller and groceries in the back with the 3rd row up.

That said, b/c it is smaller than a minivan, it is a lot more fun to drive.

Dillipop

While the mazda5 is much smaller than most minivans, I don't think it's a ton smaller than the MPV. That van was tiny!

However, the space behind the 3rd row is very small. I don't know if you'd be able to get most double strollers behind it. Luvmycharlie has a 5 and has lots of strollers, she might be able to help you out.

luckyclov

The 5 is more compact than the MPV, though not overwhelmingly so - the MPV isn't all that big, either (IMO).

With the 3rd row up, the cargo in a 5 is very, very, very limited. Very small. I could fit a Chicco Capri umbrella stroller laying down (horizontally) and it just about swallowed up all the botton/surface space, so that gives you an idea.

However, another member here has been able to fit a BJCMD in the cargo with the wheels off.

I owned a 2008 5 for a little over a year. It's been one of my favorite vehicles (so far), but we realized when I was pregnant with #3, it just wasn't going to cut it for what our "needs" are. It was PERFECT for us when we were a family of 4...or occasionally had a "spare" kid.

Great on gas, fun to drive, handles well, very child/child seat friendly. There've been a lot of great improvements to the newer models, too.

jenfrogmom

I have a 5 and LOVE it! It works perfectly for our 2 kids on a daily basis and my occasional babysitting child. I have a Maclare double for my buggy, and it fts tightly with the third row up. :) Glad to hear you Mazda has so many miles and is still running strong! Hope my 5 lasts a long long time, too!

MorgieBear'sMama

Thank You Ladies.

I was hoping to hear the 5 was just a smidge bigger than the MPV :( as it is now it's barely enough room. I am 5'8" and there's really not enough room for my legs. Oh well, looks like we will be going back to a "real van" or full size suv for Mama's comfort.

Trying to type on a tiny touch screen is hard, please forgive my typos.

skipspin

Yeah, I'll echo the above. With 4 back seats in use there isn't much cargo space. I can fit my Phil and Teds e3 in the back with two wheels popped off, but it's very inconvenient to keep it there all the time. My single Quest fits nicely and that's what I keep in the car unless I'm going to the zoo or somewhere else I need a double or full sized stroller to haul stuff.

Now, with two kids there is TONS of room in the back. Even with three it's not bad because the back seat folds 50/50 so you can have one folded an done in use. We traveled with ours full (3 adults, 3 kids since MIL came) and we were okay because we had a car top carrier. With only two in the back there is also a lot of leg room IMO, but once again not when you are using the third row.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC