Airplane trip(maybe this should be in travel)

Nimommyof2

Hi

Not sure I maybe should have also posted this in travel looking for advice flying across the country right after Christmas. I am headed from Alberta to New Brunswick I will have my two year old and eight year old with me. I am planning on bringing the two year olds carseat with me and purchasing a booster when I get there(or I may be able to borrow one). First question I have a Graco myride or an evenflo titan which would you recommend? Second would my eight year old son be fine with a low back booster for the two weeks we are there he only weighs about 45lbs or should I get him a high back?

ADS

Mingie

CPST Instructor
I've flown with the Titan and it is an excellent choice for flying with. Light and easy to install on the plane.

I'd been fine with a backless for an 8 year old. I'd bring one with me and just carry it on the flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Nimommyof2

thats what I was thinking the titan is more compact and lighter, the only concern I have is I have found the Graco easier to install in some vehicles so wasn't sure. It will be rearfacing for driving. I actually can use a backless down there but wasn't sure if I should buy a highback instead as he only turns 8 a week before we go and he is on the small side with only weighing 45lbs. Whats the easiest way to carry carseats through the airport I will have mulitple flights to board.

Mingie

CPST Instructor
What I do is put the car seat on a luggage cart(the one I have had a bungee cord built in) and then get my older daughter to carry her backless. I have even put the back less booster in a cloth bag and I have carried it that way. I push my youngest in the car seat on the cart. Are you taking a stroller also?

What does your older child ride in presently? If you want to take a high back booster, you could carry on the lower portion and then I have packed the back portion in my suitcase padded by clothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Nimommyof2

A luggage cart you bought? I guess where did you get it at as well if that is the case? I don't feel its worth the hassle to bring the booster seat as I will have to switch plans a min of one time both ways and my aunt has a backless I can use so I'll go that route for the booster. Thank You

bubbaray

I put the car seats in the stroller(s), along with my carryons. DH wrangles the children (so they walk or he carries one and the other walks).

On a typical trip, we have 2 lightweight strollers and (until recently) 2 carseats, along with 2 adult carryons. Now DD#1 uses a LBB (Apramo from Cdn Tire) when we travel, so I use either 2 lightweight strollers, 1 carseat and a booster OR 1 mid-weight stroller with an integrated toddler step (for my eldest), 1 carseat and 1 booster.

Nimommyof2

I will be by myself so no help carrying or pushing things. How do you get the carseat to stay in the stoller? I do have a small stroller guess I could see how the carseat fits.

bubbaray

I just prop them in. I know other people use bungee cords so that the child can sit in the car seat and ride in the stroller. If I needed to, I would do that through the airport. You could put the booster in the basket of the stroller.

Use a backpack of your carryon. Younger child + carseat in stroller, booster in basket. Older child walks (and carries booster if the stroller d/n have a basket). Alternatively, you could check the booster in your checked luggage.

Nimommyof2

Thanks I'll play around with it(I'm not bringing a booster with me). Guess I should also ask for any tricks to installing the carseat, I have to do it forward facing on the plane right? I think I read before sometimes you need a seatbelt extender?

Nimommyof2

Another question I know for the last leg it will be on a smaller only four seat across plane(two on either side of the aisle) will I have problems with the seat fitting?

LittlePeanut

If it's a Dash-8 or CRJ, either will fit FF but may be harder RF. I RF'd my child on the plane until he was well past 2 y/o without an issue. FF is a little easier because they can see the TV and installation is a little easier. Also, FF you'll get less grief from the FAs.

I'm not sure how the belt path on the Titan is accessed but I know with the MR, a belt extender was absolutely necessary for accessing the release buckle tongue.

Mingie

CPST Instructor
I did not need a belt extender if I recall correctly.. It was an easy install. And I installed it on a dash-8 for our last leg over to Vancouver Island. It is a very compact seat. I only used it ffing though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC