2002 Honda CRV? FR85? Pros/Cons?

noahsmom24

Hi All -
With the split with my husband things have been tough, I am now in College going for my Medical Administrative degree and I have saved and am ready to purchase something a little newer, I am thinking a 2002 Honda CRV. I would go newer but honestly this is what my budget calls for. I am also fairly interested in a 1999-2002 Volkswagen Golf or Jetta, but read the older golfs didn't do so well in frontal crash test ratings. Anyway back to the CRV..

I read the crash test ratings for the 02' CRV and they don't look bad, but I want to know more about this vehicle? I am a HONDA person, I've helped stick B20's (The engine that is in CRV's) in a Honda CRX and Civic and I know they are good running engines and Honda really is a vehicle you can expect to out run any other vehicle.
But, What else should I know about this vehicle? I have read a lot myself, but it is nice to hear from people who own the 2nd gen CRV's themselves and here the pro's and con's of them? How is gas mileage for you?

I also would like to know will a Frontier 85 fit in this vehicle safely? Does the 02' come with middle top tether? I read the 1st gen CRV's only came with outboard top tethering, could not find factual information that the 2nd gen had middle seat top tethering. I really like my son to be in the middle, just for my peace of mind (even though I know it doesn't necessarily mean he is safer there) but also because he likes sitting in the middle to see out the front window, and because I am so use to him being there and being able to reach him easier if I had to. (Not while driving of course).

I'm just looking for a Hatchback or Small SUV that is the safest and most accomadating vehicle I can find to fit my budget, Open to all suggestions.
I will be looking to make the purchase January of next year :)

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I can't speak to fit of the Frontier85 in the CR-V but it's the pre-2001 model year CR-Vs that lack a center rear top tether anchor and/or the capability to retrofit a tether anchor for the center rear vehicle seating position. You'll have to use a seatbelt installation at 40 lbs and up due to Honda's LATCH installation weight limit of 40 lbs., and also have the potential debacle of the Frontier85 requiring a top tether anchor beyond 65 lbs. in harnessed mode when Honda's LATCH limit is 40 lbs. The 2002-2006 CR-V models have factory equipped full sets of LATCH outboard (Honda does not allow borrowing for a center lower LATCH anchor installation) with a total of 3 top tether anchors. The top tether anchors are located in the ceiling of the CR-V's cargo area near the rear window/rear tailgate opening, and the LATCH manual notes to remove the vehicle headrest and secure it in the cargo area when the top tether is used.

noahsmom24

Thanks Jeanum that's great information.
I hope I can get some more experienced people that have tried or are using FR85's in CRV's to help me out with how installing has went. and any other pros/cons they can offer :)

LuvMyCharlie

The '02 is what my DH used to have. There are top tether anchors in all three positions, found on the ceiling for the vehicle. The FR85 went in fine with LATCH using both short and long beltpaths. With the seatbelt I was only ever able to make short belt path work and that still required a bit of twisting on the buckle stalk.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
2002 isn't a B series engine, that's the beginning of the K series, and it's a 2.4, and it has a timing chain rather than a belt. The 02 - 06 CRV is the 2nd generation body style that looks like this:

2002.honda.crv.4890-300x189.jpg

1998 - 2001 is the first generation CRV with the B20 in it, looks like this:

98_honda_crv.jpg

I drive a 1998, I work in a shop and my husband is a master Honda technician so I'm pretty familiar with them. My 1998 is like you said - it has two outboard tether anchors. My son just started riding in a Frontier 85 and I have it outboard using the long belt path and it installed very nicely. The seat belt is *just* long enough for the long belt path. I have also gotten a successful install with the lap belt in the center with the short belt path. Britax does allow you to tether off -center, so you can use that seating position with a tether. I often have a RF child in the other seat though, so I have mine outboard.

In general, I really like it and have been very happy with it. Mine has about 170K and other than general maintenance, we've replaced the radiator, and I need to put a catalytic converter on it sometime before my emissions are due this spring, heh, but otherwise it's been a great vehicle for us. It does have long-ish belt stalks that have made certain car seats a challenge to install, but mostly it's been a great car for us.

A few automotive notes about both generations:

The 98-01 B20 is notorious for head problems if the valves weren't adjusted regularly. Originally Honda recommended not til 105 when the timing belt was done, but when they started burning valves they changed their stance and recommend a valve adjust as often as 15-30K. My husband does ours every 15K to be safe.

The 02-06 CRVs have serious A/C problems. The compressors fail and the way they fail (techs call it black death) the entire A/C system has to be replaced. $2500+++ .... and whatever causes the failure, it's been known to come back a couple years later.

noahsmom24

Thank you all, and you are absolutely correct emma...I've been away from working on cars for far to long. But, the A/C problems I have read about, and this worries me. I suppose most cars if not all have their "certain" problems, but something that could possibly keep happening after it is fixed definitely does bring about concerns. With just me and my son an SUV, even a small one isn't needed, but we go camping and more of an outdoor type family (including my boyfriend) and I have always loved them. But, I am glad to learn that there is a middle top tether.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC