Britax MA vs. Cosco Scenera

MinVA

As I mentioned in an earlier post I am in need of moving my 6 month old into a new seat, as he just reached 20.5 lbs.

I want to buy a Regent or Recaro for my 3.5 yr old who is 36 lbs and move my youngest into the MA we have and my oldest into the new seat. Based on what is going on with the Regent and new Recaros not released yet, I won't be able to get one for atleast 4 - 6 weeks.

Some suggested I buy a Scenera to but my youngest in why we wait until the Regent or Recaro can be purchased. I know very little about carseats, but a $40 carseat scares me a bit.

The MA we have is so much more, what is the difference, is the Scenera more of a risk? Sorry if this sounds bad, but there is a big difference in price and I know little about car seats.

I need a lot better understanding of my the one is only $40 before I put my child in it even for a month. Can someone help me better understand?

ADS

ThreeBeans

It's 40 dollars cause it's no-frills. :D

No padding, no special covers, no EPS foam. BUT, it is a good, safe seat that fills a valuable niche...i.e. a safe seat for a small amount of cash. It's great for traveling (quite lightweight), and installs easily in almost every car.

It has a high rear-facing weight limit (35 lbs) as well.

all together ooky

I own a MA and a Scenera. I bought the Scenera as a back-up seat and to use for those 2 extra pounds rear-facing. Yes, it's safe. Yes, it's cheap. It's not padded and feels flimsy compared to an MA. BUT, as the PP said, It fills a niche. And I think that it's a great idea for you to just buy one for the 2 months it'll take to get a Recaro. Then you'll also have a spare seat that's great for travel.

1girltwinboyz

I had two sceneras too for my boys until I could afford two MAs. I loved them. I was very surprised how easy they installed in my honda ody and how safe they felt and that my boys actually napped in them - all for $40 each!!

Now unfortunately I was rearended a few weeks ago so I had to replace all my carseats. I got two FPSVD on sale for $89! (and the at fault drivers ins is playing for them all!). this is a bare bones MA IMHO but it serves its purpose too and is safe for my kiddos. The only thing I dont like about the FP is one ds head bobs a lot when napping due to the very slight recline FF. I did not have this problem at all with the sceneras. But at their height and weight i could not see getting two more carseats that they would outgrow in a year. That is why I went with the bigger seat. Not because I disliked the scenera at all but for longer use 5pt restraints.

HTH

mimieliza

It would definitely be safer than being over the weight limit in the infant seat. I've heard nothing but good things about them - basic, no-frills, but solid seats without problems.

The other option might be borrowing a seat from someone you trust - maybe you know someone who has an infant seat that goes to 22 lbs?

SPJ&E

We are also big Britax lovers, but have 2 Sceneras to use as spare seats. There is definitely a big difference between the seats and after using a Britax, it is hard to get used to the Scenera. It's much lighter, so it doesn't FEEL as solid. It's a very bare bones seat...no padding really, no extra features to add to the price. It's just a simple, easy to install and use, seat...you can't beat it for the price!

Do I prefer our Britax's...absolutely...but I have no problem using a Scenera when the need arises. As long as the seat is installed and used correctly, it is safe.

trailrunnermom

The only thing I dont like about the FP is one ds head bobs a lot when napping due to the very slight recline FF.

If the FPSVD is in a vehicle seating position in the that has a reclining back, I found that a little bit of recline (as little as possible, but enough) helps with the head-bobbing-while-sleeping problem. :)

And regarding the Scenera, I agree with everyone else -- it's a great seat for the money. Easy to install and use. Fits small babies to 3-year-olds. I had my 2.5 y.o. great-niece RF in one for several months (until she grew too tall); now I use the Scenera for a spare seat. I don't think it would hold up as well as a MA (or similar) in the long run, but for $40, it works well.

cryswilkins

We have a Roundabout, a Marathon, and a Scenera and I DO love our Britax seats, but I would buy another Scenera in a second. It is a great travel seat, installs everywhere I have tried it, and my DD likes it. All seats have to pass the same standards to be sold, the Scenera is perfectly safe (as long as its the 5 pt version not the OHS one).

I think that it is perfectly acceptable to have you child in one while waiting for the new Recaro. Of the lack of EPS foam bothers you, what about the Uptown? Its $99 at Walmart and is the cushier cousin of the Scenera.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
The Scenera doesn't have all the frills, but it is very safe so long as it is used correctly -- Scenera generally fits most vehicles & is relatively easy to use :)

Cost is about supply & demand, too: the Scenera is one of the (if not the top) most commonly used seats so it's price is kept low....

ZephyrBlue

We have both, and I love the Scenera for a spare seat/quick trips. It installs so quickly and I've gotten good installs with both seatbelt and LATCH (not a great RF install in my 05 Grand Caravan SXT, though, but I didn't have a pool noodle and I think that would have helped a lot). I have no problem putting my 2 and 4.5yo in the Scenera, even though our main seats are a MA and BV. And at our Wal Mart, they sell the Scenera for $39.84 and it comes in a neat clear plastic zippered bag so you can see the seat (might be weird, but I love seeing that big pile of seats in bags, much neater than seeing a bunch of boxes) that you can use if you need to store the seat in the garage, etc. Not a big selling point, but I love that plastic bag, LOL!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC