DC - great install doesn't stay great...help

cso1997

I am installing a DC RF outboard in an F350 with leather seats. I am not using either lock off because they are a pain. I am just locking the seatbelt (this may be the root of my problem). I am getting a great install with no movement at the belt path. The base is nice and flat on the seat. I pull the seat out from the bight a little so I could get a more upright install (this may also be a problem).

The issue...after a few weeks, the base is not flat on the seat anymore. The install is still very tight but the base gets "jacked" up on one side. Any advice to make my install last longer. I am sure that 80% of the base is still touching the seat but since I know that I can get an install with it all flat on the seat, I feel the need to keep reinstalling it. Anyone?

ADS

SPJ&E

The problem is that you are locking the shoulder belt. With a rear-facing installation, most times, a locked shoulder belt will cause the seat to tip over time (if not immediately).

Do you know if your latchplates lock? Sit in the seat and buckle the seatbelt over you and pull it tight (do not lock the shoulder belt). Now tug on the lap portion. If you can pull it out, your latchplates do not lock and you will need to try to use the RF lockoffs. If you cannot pull the lap portion out, your latchplates do lock and you don't need to do anything except install the seat (don't have to lock shoulder belt or use lockoffs).

I've found, that with the RF lockoffs, it's mostly about the angle. I thought I couldn't get them to work in my car, but much to my surprise, I got one to work just fooling around with it the other day. What you have to do is put both the lap and shoulder portions inside the lockoff furthest from the buckle. The lap portion should go toward one side of the lockoff and the shoulder portion to the other side, so they are just overlapping in the center of the lockoff. Then push the lockoff closed...it might not snap immediately, but keep pushing and also use your knee/weight to put pressure on the foot area (where kiddo's feet go) of the Marathon to change the angle a bit (that's what did the trick in my car).

I know that's not the best explanation, but hopefully it makes some sense!

cso1997

No that was a very good explanation. We do not have locking latchplates and I figured that locking the shoulder belt was my issue. Darn!! I have used the lockoffs before but I felt I could get a tighter install when locking the belt and not using the lockoffs. I guess I will try again. Thank you so much Sam.

SPJ&E

You're welcome! I'd definitely give the lockoffs another try! Install it as tight as you usually do and then just wiggle the seat to get the lockoff closed...hopefully it'll work perfectly!

cso1997

Your advice was great. It worked perfectly. The seat is rock solid (probably more so than before). I used the lock off opposite the buckle and it worked like a charm. No more tipping. My hate for the lock offs came when I tried to install it in my car. If I ever need to install it back in my car, I think I will just stick with LATCH...ha ha. Thank you very much for making me give the lock offs a second chance.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC