Radian XTSL vs. Diono RXT comparison with pics!

tracee877

Got our RXT today and decided to compare it to the XTSL since I have both. My DS has about the same amount of room in both, I didn't think he gained any room in the RXT. Aside from the changes made to the RXT they are pretty much the same. The head wings are more substantial on the RXT and the shell color is a darker gray than the XTSL. The width of the back of the seat inside is the same on both, but the RXT has about 1.5" more width on the seat part with the sides pushed in. With the sides pushed out it's even wider. Now for the pics. DS2 is 3y2m, about 32 lbs and 39". Not sure on torso but he is dead even with the 2nd slots on the Nautilus.

001.jpg
003.jpg

002.jpg
004.jpg

Both seats with RXT sides in:
006.jpg

RXT sides out:
005.jpg

Overall I am very pleased with the RXT. I didn't get to try it in booster mode since DS2 is too small. I may try with DD later if she fits and will update if she does. I do have to say that I hate the new black LATCH straps. They are thicker or something and it's very hard to tighten. Takes a lot more effort than with the old red straps and non-SL straps. Can't wait to get my hands on the angle adjuster also. Feel free to ask any questions.:)

ADS

Mags462

1.5" wider huh?

Well that seals it for me - i need an old XTSL or 80SL then :( I literally need that extra inch to make it work.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Yup. In my Civic, every fraction of an inch counts. Now I need to re-think whether I'm willing to sell my "extra" XTSL or not just because I have an RXT on the way. And do I take the RXT out of the box to test it in the space or not? :scratcheshead:

lanwenyi

Is it wider externally or only internally? Can you try them both in the same position for a 3 across? I'm curious if the new ones puzzle as well as the old ones.

tracee877

Is it wider externally or only internally? Can you try them both in the same position for a 3 across? I'm curious if the new ones puzzle as well as the old ones.

They seem to be the same externally. The sides seem narrower on the RXT than the XTSL. However, I will be happy to try a 3 across and report back.

tracee877

Oh I forgot to comment on the cup holder. Um, it's kind of stupid. You can only use it with the side pushed out. And it's pretty small and shallow. I don't think any of DS's playtex sippies will fit in it, except maybe the insulated ones.

Pixels

Could you measure the width of the seat pan (part where legs go), external measurement, very very carefully on both please? Literally 1/16th of an inch will make or break my three across.

tracee877

Could you measure the width of the seat pan (part where legs go), external measurement, very very carefully on both please? Literally 1/16th of an inch will make or break my three across.

Sure! I was working on the 3 across when it started pouring rain. So now one seat is in the car and the other is inside. When it stops raining I'll measure.:)

msg221

I just had my RXT delivered about 15 minutes ago. I will probably borrow some kids to see how they fit, take some pics and what not, but not till this weekend. By the time I get off work, it's already dark out plus there just isn't a lot of time before they have dinner, baths and bed.

ProudMommysince09

We have the same car :love:, do you think it would install in the middle? With the problems I have with DD unbuckling I'm 'this' close to be tempted to get her one :eek:. I've never installed a Radian so I'm glad to see it fits well.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I'm also interested in the seat height, etc.. I was looking at the two Radians I have installed in my Civic. As it "sits" right now (no pun untended!) if the FF Radian's seat depth were any higher, it wouldn't puzzle with the RF Radian that's next to it. Although the angle adjuster might help a little in that department, too.

I can't wait until I get an angle adjuster and the CCO I just ordered arrive... I'm going to spend a whole day playing with car seats even if I have to make DH move his work bench so I can do it in the shop out of the weather. :)

But it really helps to have some real-world comparisons. Because it the Diono I have on the way isn't going to work out for me, then I'd better not open the box; it will be easier to sell if it's still sealed in the box.

tracee877

We have the same car :love:, do you think it would install in the middle? With the problems I have with DD unbuckling I'm 'this' close to be tempted to get her one :eek:. I've never installed a Radian so I'm glad to see it fits well.

Yep, it installs awesome in the middle RF! You're not too far away from me. We should have a car seat play date some time. Would love to play with your MT.:p

tracee877

Ok, they are both 13" exactly. However, since the sides are moveable on the RXT, it actually allows for more room. They can rotate in slightly whereas the XTSL sides are fixed and immovable.

012.jpg

013.jpg

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Ok, they are both 13" exactly. However, since the sides are moveable on the RXT, it actually allows for more room. They can rotate in slightly whereas the XTSL sides are fixed and immovable.

Good to know! So it sounds like the RXT will be better at puzzling in general, because its sides are a bit flexible. Yes?

And the height of the seat sides is the same?

StillThankful

Awesome! I love that the wings are more substantial. I wish I could order spring wings for my flora XTSL. I'm out of rep points but I'll try to remember to come back to the thread tomorrow!

tracee877

Good to know! So it sounds like the RXT will be better at puzzling in general, because its sides are a bit flexible. Yes?

And the height of the seat sides is the same?

Yes I definitely think it will be better at puzzling. Height is the same.

Cryssy Jane

I'm getting my hands on an angle adjuster tonight at the ceu workshop at diono. I'll report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC