Britax traveller or recaro proride?

Shaunam

Ok so I thought I had decided on the traveller for Charlie. Then the pt said getting a regular car seat paid for would be no problem. Which made me consider the proride. Obviously the traveller will last longer. But we intend to transport her in her chair eventually. She won't need this seat to last years and years. Maybe another 2.

She's about 3/4 of an inch from the top slot of her my ride. That's in thin pants, a disposable diaper, and the seat forced into an upright install. Lol. In a cloth diaper, sweatpants, and a more reclined install she looks like she AT the slot. She's doing wonderful with the more upri install btw.

So I've never seen either of these seats in person. It looks like I might have to decide without seeing them. Or both of them. I might be able to get to Columbus to at least see the recaro. But the dme's around here don't just have travellers laying around, they order them as needed.

Help me figure this out please!

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
The traveler looks basically just like the Regent. The proride? You mean prosport? I think. It has nice support on the sides. I am heading out, so can't measure right now, the different between the PR and the MR. What about the FR85?

Shaunam

She's way too slumpy in the frontier. I do mean the pro ride, not the prosport. The prosport would be too upright also I believe. Unless anyone says otherwise. I'm assuming it sits more upright. She still needs some recline. The MR, even as upright as I can get it is still quite reclined.

I've put Charlie in Adrian's regent before and she was slumpy in that too, but in the pics of the traveller it looks like it has more padding in the sides? She otherwise fit well, I just had to roll towels and bunch them on her sides to keep her upright.

Shaunam

You know what? I've never tried her in the frontier actually installed in the car before. Maybe I should do that before I write it off as not reclined enough. Is there a big difference between how it sits on the floor of the store vs in the seat of a car?

T4K

Prosport has a recline option I think. I've never used it on mine but the manual mentions something about it. I would definitely wait to buy one because Recaro said they were putting longer harnesses on them, soon.

dneul

I have a friend who has a prosport and I have a frontier 85 and a decathalon. Would you want some pictures of the two or three? Her daughter is also special needs. Let me know and I will see if I can get something arranged.

djma

I have the proride. It does have a natural FF recline, kind of like the older britax seats (the marathon 65).

I love it mainly because of the head pillows.

It doesn't offer a ton of leg support though. Do you want me to measure it?

vamom

The traveller is a husky/regent with a higher weight limit/longer harness. You can get a pommel for it. Ds tried the recaro prosport, frontier85, snugseat pilot (a monteray with a 4 pt harness), the columbia spirit 2400, and the merritt Roosevelt.

When we got our roosevelt, I thought of Charlie. Ds and I adore this seat. Shane Merritt is great to work with and worked on the traveller before he started his own company. Insurance paid in full for ds.

The roosevelt has the option of an independent harness for kids with scolosis or that need something like it, and the pommel pad. You can add more depth. Ds was at the end of husky harness, but has miles left in the roosevelt. It has a built in tether for use with long belt path and can be used with just that. It has a dual tether for higher weights. It can be ordered with a piddle pad type cover. It is super comfy for ds. It has a touch of recline and positions my floppy child beautifully. You can even add that stay put hat for kids that need the extra help. For kids under 65# the recline bar is mandatory and optional afterwards. Ds was 66# fully dressed, so I went without. I think with the recline, it would be really nice for someone with low tone.

This one was ds and mine's favorite hands down.

Shaunam

I considered the Roosevelt too, but it has a 35 lb minimum I think. It' ll be a year probably before she hits that. :(

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I considered the Roosevelt too, but it has a 35 lb minimum I think. It' ll be a year probably before she hits that. :(

You certainly wouldn't be the first parent to order a seat for a kid that was a shade too large.

Both of my friends with SN were below the weight limit when they first received their Tomato seat. It was parental choice since other than that, the seats met all the needs: airplane approved, can be used in stroller, with in home base, provided correct support, etc.

I'd talk to Shane and see what he thinks about her weight.

vamom

Yes, talk to Shane. He is awesome. We also discussed the churchill for ds, which he doesn't weigh enough for. It was tested with a smaller dummy and passed just fine. The harness heights of the roosevelt were designed around different weight dummies to test. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it had been tested to lower weight, but that they set a higher weight to keep littles out of it.

It really is an awesome seat. Also, insurance tends to not pay for seats more often then every 5 years.

a09

My daughter has a signo g2 which is basically the pro ride. If you would like a picture of my daughter in hers I can throw FF later this evening and get a few pics. Just PM me and let me know.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC