Field trip...close call

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
My boys (4.5) had their first field trip today. I decided that rather then risk someone else installing my kids' seats, I would just go on the field trip, and I'm glad I did. There were 11 children and 4 staff, plus myself. They had a 15 passenger van, however one seat belt was not functioning properly. So make that a 14 passenger van. Fortunately, Patrick decided he wanted to ride with me. So they they had set the seats in how they wanted them installed, knowing I am a CPST and knowing I was coming. When I climbed into the van, it was a mess in terms of what seats were where. They had a HBB in a lap belt spot and most of the staff in lap belt spots. So I did some quick rearranging and got everybody in the best possible spots. All staff had lap/shoulder belts and all HBB boosters were in lap/shoulder belts. If the seat had a harness, I planned on using the harness and used the seat belt to install. The kids (mostly 3 and 4yr olds, with one 5yr old) were not to happy when they found out they had to use the harness. One kiddo (4yr old girl) has a Nauti and they just pulled the harness tight and were using it as a HBB. Two more girls, 3.5yr old twins, also in Nauti's, proclaimed that they only had to buckle the top (chest clip). :eek: Not on my watch! ;) One smallish 3yr old in a HBB. One TEENY 3yr old in a OHS (normally rides in a HBB and has since 2.5 :()...the rest were OK.

It's a good thing I decided to tag along, or there wouldn't have been room for Patrick and someone would of had to stay behind...not to mention all the seats in the wrong spots.

The scary part is, they've had 'training'. Ummm....not enough apparently. The director was so happy I was there to help. I have a sneaky feeling I will be assisting with all field trips. Fortunately, they don't take many. But wow....

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Makes me wish you could do a mandatory parent meeting and give some basic car seat 101 training to the parents. I'd be interested in seeing how the parents of the twins would react when you explain (without singling them out, of course) that the chest clip os not a load-bearing piece and will frequently break in a collision...

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Makes me wish you could do a mandatory parent meeting and give some basic car seat 101 training to the parents. I'd be interested in seeing how the parents of the twins would react when you explain (without singling them out, of course) that the chest clip os not a load-bearing piece and will frequently break in a collision...

We've tried doing a seat check there before. It was not very well received. :( As for the twins' mom....I'll let you know what she says. I sent her a message on FB, as we are friends. Well, acquaintances really, but enough to be friends on FB. I was as delicate as I could be. Basically told her that I went on the field trip and that I assisted with getting the seats all loaded and when her dd's got in, that they said they only had to buckle the top. Told her I didn't know if she knew, but that it was extremely dangerous because it would likely break in a crash, even a minor one, and her girls could be ejected. Told her that I knew it was a PITA at times to get everybody in, but that their lives depended on being properly buckled. Told her I just lost 2 friends (one was a child) in a wreck and how I'm sure they thought it wouldn't happen to them. And that I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if something happened and I hadn't said anything and that I hoped she understood why I felt the need to send her the message.

bnsnyde

Wow. Glad you could go!

The preschool (one of the 3 we use, lol) didn't really show any seat check interest by parents.

I offered any help, and the parents were receptive and happy, and even have my card. They told me all of their carseat troubles.
BUT. That doesn't always mean anything. :)

The 10-month-old still comes in FF and one family simply has the kids sit in the seats, but does not buckle the kids in right (it's actually a situation where the 3-year-old takes the seatbelt off the Scenera every time to uninstall it, and the 4-year-old (32 lbs.) doesn't use the shoulder part of the belt in her backless. She just bounces around the backseat.

Another is still using a seat from 1999 that's looking quite antique!

So, I realize I can't help them if they don't want to be helped, but I just wish they'd try.

Kat_Momof3

I'm so glad you were there... I think that they should just wave your kids' field trip costs to pay/bribe you to come to every field trip (at least beforehand) to set up the seats.

I'm sure they have some training, but it's not gonna equal yours in knowing how to fit everyone 3 across without automatically doing seat, adult, seat or seat, booster, seat and leaving the boosters and adults in lap only belts.

heck, to make it easier, they should (again, if they wave your boys' field trip costs to make this more beneficial to you) probably make it easier to fit everyone by just having you drive your vehicle as the field trip's second vehicle... so everyone can be more comfy and spread out and no worries about seatbelt problems.

and YAY PATRICK!! he made the right call, wanting to ride with his mommy!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC