EZ-on anchors in newer vans?

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I know that I can't sweet talk any of the dealers into putting tether anchors in vans that come equipped with some already. Like, the Sienna we're looking at, it has 3 in the middle row, and 2 in the rear, IIRC. Well, that leaves one seat without one. And I'm not okay with that. I might want to put a kid there. Someday. Maybe.

Could I potentially get one of the EZ-on anchor thingy's and have my dh install it in the missing spot in the 3rd row?

Would this be the same for any other new vehicle? I'm extremely disappointed in the number of anchors in each vehicle we've looked at.

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I know that I can't sweet talk any of the dealers into putting tether anchors in vans that come equipped with some already. Like, the Sienna we're looking at, it has 3 in the middle row, and 2 in the rear, IIRC. Well, that leaves one seat without one. And I'm not okay with that. I might want to put a kid there. Someday. Maybe.

Could I potentially get one of the EZ-on anchor thingy's and have my dh install it in the missing spot in the 3rd row?

Would this be the same for any other new vehicle? I'm extremely disappointed in the number of anchors in each vehicle we've looked at.

Possibly? It would depend on whether there's an appropriate place for it. Also, the instructions are a bit fuzzy on angle requirements - in one section it says that a 45 degree angle is "ideal," but in another it implies that the 45 degree angle is required.

Call them! They're super nice and helpful! :D 1-800-323-6598 Ask for Yvonne, she's the customer service rep.

LuvBug

sort of to piggyback on this
if you have anchors in your car in all positions but want to use the ez on harness... you are supose to use their tether right? so what would you do being that your vehicle already has tethers in all positions?

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I'll call EZ-On on Monday. I've got a Mazda, who also does not list tether weights... so, that means Mazda tested their tether to 165 lbs, since that's what the 86Y says? Surely not. My son is about 55lbs. I think his weight is equal to the combined weight of his sister plus her Husky, though, so I'm not too terribly concerned, but I do need to find out at what point exactly I need to install the EZ-On anchor.

FWIW, the registration card for the 86Y states TWICE that (paraphrasing) "you are aware that any child over 80 lbs MUST use included heavy-weight anchor, not the vehicle anchor," so I've been going by that.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I *think* the FMVSS testing standard is 65 lb combined weight of seat and child.

The issue with EZ-On products is the tether is an integral part of the restraint, unlike "traditional" child restraints where the tether has a more supplementary role. I think I'd err on the light side of the spectrum for that reason.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC