Outgrowing the Marathon?

K

krbonner

My 5yo (43", 42lbs) is in a Marathon. My question relates to when he'll outgrow it, since I'd like to keep him in it as long as I possibly can. The top of his head is starting to rise above the back of the seat, but his ears are nowhere near the top. The bigger issue is his shoulders. They're just about level with the top harness slot right now.

My gut says that he's still safer in the 5pt harness over the booster with a seat belt even if his shoulders start to creep above the harness slots. But I don't know that that's right. When does the booster with a seat belt become safer than the Marathon? Any ideas?

Thank you so much!
Katie

ADS

LuvBug

he is ok in it until one of these happens:
shoulders go even slightly over the top slots
he reaches 65lbs
the top of his ears go over the top of the shell

it sounds like the first is close to happening, and that is when he will be outgrown. You could consider another harness seat with taller top slots.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
When you compare his shoulder height to the top slots, make sure to stick your finger through the fabric cover and feel where the slots are in the plastic shell. Sometimes the fabric doesn't line up exactly and you actually have more (or less) room to grow than what appears when looking at just the slots in the cover.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC