A car seat challenge: need help with guest child arrangement

Paperdragon

Hi,

The car: 1997 Honda CR-V, Lap/shoulder belts and top tether outboard (both sides), lap belt only in center with no center top tether.

The kids: 3yo, 30lbs, long torso (currently uses second slots on his Regent)
6yo, 46 lbs, long torso (will soon need the top slots on her Regent)
8yo, 60lbs (friend's child, uses regular adult belt in his car)

We take care of the 8yo one afternoon/week and there is no room in the back for a third child with even one Regent back there (much less two). Could anyone recommend a sequence of seats we could use that wouldn't cost too much, but keeps the younger two kids harnessed (and preferably the 8yo too, he's not that big). The 6 yo has to be harnessed as she is not mature enough for a booster. Currently, I have told his mom that I will transport him only in emergencies to the hospital in the front seat. It would be nice to be able to fit all three in the back for recreational trips, though. Could the 86y or one of the other harnesses help us? I realize both my kids will have to ride in something other than their Regents when the 8yo is with us, there just isn't room. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!

ADS

Ahzryn

My 6 year old is over the top slots in a MA, just started using the top slots on the Regent, but still fits in the Radian with just under an inch to go until she's level with them. If you are comfortable using it over the top slots, there would be several inches until you had ear/shell issues. Soo....two radians might fit the bill, especially if you put the 3yo rf!

Paperdragon

Sadly, the Radian won't work for my 6yo. I sat her in a friend's and she was already a tad over the top slots. Since money is tight, I would rather buy something that will last longer. If I were to put the 3yo in a Radian in the middle, could it be installed with only a lap belt and no tether leaving the lap/shoulder belts and top tethers for the older kids in the outboard positions to use with some kind of harness? Is this safe for everyone? Would any of the harneses fit in this situation?

Thanks!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd probably put a Radian in the middle and harnesses (LOVE the ridesafer travel vest), but would actually prefer a side impact protective booster...I think you could get the RN in the middle (it's a great seat for a lapbelt only install, has very good performance without a top tether), and a Parkway or two on either side. (well, if the three yo is little you could get a Scenera or Ultra Cargo, too, and save a bundle of money, but the RN would definitely last the longest.)

LeeLi

Yes a Radian in the middle is a great idea, or a Scenara as Julie suggested.

Then you could put the older two outboard each with a Parkway or Turbobooster and an 86Y harness. IMHO The 8 year old is would be okay with just the booster though given that she/he rides in a seat belt regularly. Although using the 86Y with your current top tether anchor is only possible if the kid attached to it is under the car's tether limit. There's a chart of tether limits around here somewhere, it was posted within the last week...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC