looking for safe mirror installation

singingpond

I know that the mirrors sold to keep an eye on the children in back are an after-market item, not crash tested, and that they are generally not recommended here. However, I am seriously considering getting one, and would like some comments.

My 2 1/2 y.o. son, who is still RF, has an expressive language delay, and has relatively few spoken words. He is doing quite a bit lately with signs (acquiring new vocabulary quickly), and is visibly delighted to be communicating more successfully. He's also more frustrated when people don't understand him. I realize that when I drive somewhere with him it is usually a very quiet trip, but when I take a quick glance back, he is sometimes busy 'talking' and commenting about something he sees. Since he's RF, and currently in the center of the rear seat, I sure can't see much in those backward glances. I'm making an effort to talk more to him in the car (rather than just remaining silent myself), even when I can't see his response. I would like to put in a mirror, so I could at least see whether he's answering 'yes' or 'no' to a question I ask, and not leave him almost entirely unable to converse whenever he's in the car.

So... I've seen mirrors with an attachment point that goes down between the rear seats, so the stem holding the mirror comes out between the seats. I've also seen some that have tether straps. Does anyone have experience using any of these, and does the installation look secure to you? I'm prepared to get some comments saying 'just don't do it, period', but I would also appreciate hearing about real-life experiences from anyone who is willing to confess to using one of these products :) .

My view is that driving is inherently dangerous in any case, and the decisions we make in the car are often a balancing act. If I can get a relatively safe mirror installation, I will seriously consider doing that in this situation. And I do promise not to spend much time looking in the mirror while driving -- just the occasional glance...

Katrin

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
In certain situations the soft mirrors can be acceptable risks: keeping kiddo RF is safer & diminishing the distraction to the driver is also safer -- I would prefer the kind that can be hooked onto a tether anchor....

southpawboston

we have one that hooks onto the tether anchor. i also weighed it on an official USPS scale and it weighs something like 3 ounces, and it has no hard edges. we have no problem using it especially for the added driver safety it affords.

cryswilkins

http://www.djgusa.com/product.asp?productID=2683

This is like the one that we have, only it is Safety 1st brand not Eddie Bauer. It was only about $12. It hooks with Velcro around the headrest and with a clip and a strap. It can hook to a tether anchor but ours are too far away to do that. It is so tight on the headrest that if it comes off in a crash that means that the headrest flew off. I am thinking that I am OK with that risk.

CPS_obsessed_EMT

Senior Community Member
I have the Safety First one that has the stem that goes down between the seat and hooks to the tether anchor.
I understand that it wasn't "crash tested", but honestly, how can something that's not even touching the carseat affect its performance in a crash?
A projectile, yes, there is a possibility that the couple oz mirror could somehow rip away from the tether hook, but if that's happening, everything else loose in my vehicle is becoming a projectile long before that.
I also have a Britax seat that is tethered RFing so that her face can't rebound into the mirror.

But like I said, if its a violent enough crash, that that little mirror is going to rip away from the tether, I have more problems on my hands than that one very lightweight projectile.
And I don't care what anyone tells me, I do not believe for one second that it will affect how the carseat itself performs in a crash.

Ok, sorry, that's a little bit of a touchy subject for me, as I've gotten into arguments with other techs about it before.

I understand that the best scenerio is not to use them, but when you have special situations, like my daughter who had severe GERD and would literally choke on her spitup (esp. in the carseat) I felt it was very dangerous NOT to be able to keep a close eye on her.

I also think, that if the mirror keeps a kiddo happy RFing, having the little mirror is a LOT safer than turning them forward facing.

:twocents: :whistle:

Now, if you were asking for my official CPST answer, I would have to say "Aftermarket products are not recommended" :rolleyes:

But yea I would recommend getting one that attaches to the tether, and if you have a carseat that can't tether down RFing (only Britax and Radian) than I would put the mirror at an angle and distance where the carseat isn't likely to "rebound" back up into it.

And congrats on being able to communicate better with your child :)

LuvMyGirls

I have the one with the night light on it (sorry, can't remember the name and can't find it on BRU.com). It attaches to the headrest securely. I have a button that clips onto my visor to turn on a little light to check on the baby in the dark. The light is not bright enough to do much good, but the mirror works well.

lovinwaves

Ok, this has been my experience. My kids have always been rear-facing without a mirror. The other day I turned my DD forward-facing for a drive and I found myself constantly looking at her, wanting to see her reaction, etc... WOW, was I not concentrating on the road, and WOW could I have wrecked soo easily. It only takes a second to go off the road and have a fatal crash. We already have a ton of distractions going on around at all times, so why add another one.

I did a seat install for a mother the other day. She had a rear-facing child with a big infant mirror. She told me right off the bat that she would NOT remove it. So, I took off the mirror and bonked her in the head with it, and said "Now imagine that on your baby times 100". She immediately took it from my hand and threw it away. It's the rebound of the infant seat that concerns me with the child hitting their face/head on the mirror in the event of a crash.

There are other times to interact with your child. Driving is NOT one of those times. Talking to them is one thing, but looking at them for a reaction is an accident waiting to happen (literally).

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Hahahah -- I bonk myself on my own head with them but parents usually don't follow suit.... Maybe I need to invade their space more :p

abacus2

I don't think mirrors are "aftermarket products" for or affecting a carseat. They don't attach to the carseat or the seatbelt in anyway. They are of course a potential projectile so heavy or hard mirrors could be dangerous, but I really don't see a soft-edged, lightweight, unbreakable mirror as being a problem at all.

LuvMyGirls

I also don't see a problem with them as long as they are soft and the kind that attach to the headrest. I'd be willing to bet that bonking yourself on the head with the headrest would hurt at least as much as that soft mirror. As far as being a projectile, I would only use one that is securely attached to the headrest. But, I also realize that my purse and diaper bag are dangerous projectiles.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I have a soft mirror in my car but I am considering removing it. I didn't have it until about two months ago. I'm not sure I really need it. :eek:

LuvMyGirls

I don't have head rests in my car, am I outta luck for installing a soft mirror?
I can't think of any options for you that I would be comfortable with. I just don't think the suction cup kind would be secure, and I don't know of any way to permanently attach a soft unbreakable mirror to the back glass, lol. Granted, like most other parenting decisions, it really comes down to your comfort level with whatever options you find.

Melizerd

Yah I don't like the suction cup things either. I tried one before we had DS and it fell off half way through the day, it was obviously not secure.

ThreeBeans

Lovinwaves I cannot BELIEVE you bonked her in the head :ROTFLMAO:

Yer lucky she took it well...some would have bonked you right back :D

I will sheepishly admit I have been eyeing one of those soft mirrors with tether capability. Mostly because I my son is constantly picking on DD and I'd rather be able to see what's going on.

jheimes

I'll admit I have the Safety 1st one with the leather like cover over it. The mirror part must be plastic because it has become pretty scratched up. It seems pretty soft. I only installed it because I was driving 65 miles one way with her at least once a week and needed to be able to glance in my rear view mirror once in a while to see her in her mirror. (breathing, spit up, etc.)
Mine atttached in between the seat and also to the tether. I did have to replace the tether part though because it rotted through and broke (from the sun exposure). It was just a canvas belt thing. Just be sure to check it regularly for wear when you buckle your child.
I wouldn't reccommend it for baby interaction unless you are in the passenger seat. Your eyes would be off the road too long.
Just my opinion.

singingpond

Thanks to all who responded...

I now have an additional reason to consider a mirror with this child -- namely that he now easily unbuckles the chest clip on his Radian. I have told him he needs to keep it on for safety while we are driving, but I realize I can't be sure he is always doing this, on those trips where his older brother is not sitting next to him as an informant. Several times lately, I go over to get him out (after getting his baby sister out on the other side) and he's sitting there with the chest clip already open. I think he's opening it after we stop, but I would like to be more certain. I'm also considering putting a different chest clip on the seat temporarily, until we get this ironed out (I know, not recommended, but a pre-crash positioner from a different manufacturer has to be better than no pre-crash positioner at all).

Does anyone have any specific brand of mirror they have been happy with? I did see one with a tether option at BRU, but couldn't see details of construction without opening the package.

Katrin

OK, edited to say: I went back and read the responses again, and saw that several of you mentioned the Safety First mirror.... any other brand recommendations? I think the one I saw at BRU was a different brand, but I'll have to check again.

Last edited:

southpawboston

"Now imagine that on your baby times 100".

where do you get 100? i thought the general rule of thumb for a crash speed of 30 mph (brick wall force) is times 30?

the whole "times 30" argument doesn't hold much water for me when it comes to mirrors, unlike loose projectiles in a car such as sippy cups, portable electronics, and even soft toys, because that "times 30" argument also assumes, from a physics standpoint, that the mirror is becoming detached *before* any deceleration has occured. basically it means it is loose and unattached before the crash forces are even being absorbed by the car. if we assume a worst case scenario of 30 x 3 ounce, that equals 5.625 lbs. that means that a LOOSE projectile of 3 ounces could wield 5.625 lbs of crash force. however, it would probably take more like 30-40 lbs or more to break the strap holding the mirror. and even if the strap DID break, at...let's say...midway through the crash, after half the deceleration of the vehicle has already taken place, then that only leaves 2.8 lbs worth of energy with which the mirror is carrying as a projectile. as i've said many times before, this doesn't concern me much at all...

Do you remember a brand name, by chance?

sorry, i don't... i'll look tomorrow, but i don't recall seeing a name on it. i can take a photo of it tomorrow though, if that helps any.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC