Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Installing FF Radian in a 2009 Dodge Journey

Is this a pipedream? I can do it in the center with seatbelt install puzzled next to a RF Radian. But the headrests outboard do not raise/remove. Craptastic. We just bought it in June. Both of my kids are still RFing, but oldest is to be 4 in February and I suspect sometime next year may FF.

Any ideas or experience? Anyone know of a carseat that will FF in the Journey fine? This stinks! I am so irritated at that...why make a non-removable headrest?!?!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Installing FF Radian in a 2009 Dodge Journey

Can you take a pic of the headrests?

Quote Originally Posted by Judi View Post

This is my exact vehicle (stock images). You can see that the headrests are angled forward. I hope these give you an idea of what I mean.

http://www.thetorquereport.com/ab_20...ejourney20.jpg

http://www.dcmotors.com.au/wp-conten...y-interior.jpg

http://www.dodge.be/img/visu_models/...o_interior.jpg

http://www.chrisleithpreowned.com/as...T566443-25.jpg

We tried it 2 months ago, and the Radian top of the shell just hits the headrest so that the back of the car seat doesn't rest fully on the seat back itself.

It is ok that it doesn't fully touch. Maybe you can post pics of it installed?

Here are pics of the same issue. See the base, in the back?

Are you sure they don't move? Page 181 in the 2011 manual says they do.

http://www.dodge.com/download/pdf/ma...myvehicle=8&o-

Are you sure they don't move? Page 181 in the 2011 manual says they do.

http://www.dodge.com/download/pdf/ma...myvehicle=8&o-

Positive. Mine is a 2009. I looked in the manual as well. Page 128: http://www.autodealertools.com/quick...09/Journey.pdf

I will try it. I have to uninstall her little sis's seat and replace the crotch buckle (it was sticking so they sent me a new one). So I will install it FF and show you how it looks in a day or so. Thanks!

W/ PICS!!! Re: Installing FF Radian in a 2009 Dodge Journey with PICS!!!

Hello again! So I got the Radian installed today after swapping out the old crotch strap/buckles. Here are 2 pics. There is a definite gap in between the back of the Radian and the car seat back. The head rest does not go up and down, nor is it removable.

Does this look ok? I keep thinking it looks really upright, then again I'm used to RFing kiddos! It's just for the weekend while the ILs are here. She'll be back RFing on Monday.

There is not even an inch of movement at the belt path, and it is tethered in the rear.

Re: W/ PICS!!! Re: Installing FF Radian in a 2009 Dodge Journey with PICS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by azmokitty View Post
    Hello again! So I got the Radian installed today after swapping out the old crotch strap/buckles. Here are 2 pics. There is a definite gap in between the back of the Radian and the car seat back. The head rest does not go up and down, nor is it removable.

Does this look ok? I keep thinking it looks really upright, then again I'm used to RFing kiddos! It's just for the weekend while the ILs are here. She'll be back RFing on Monday.

There is not even an inch of movement at the belt path, and it is tethered in the rear.

You have the latch strap through the rear facing belt path! That needs to be fixed right away!
    dd1 - 8y6m, hbb PWSGL
    dd2 - 7y3m, hbb PWSGL
    dd3 - 4y3m, ff advocate/frontier xt

Re: W/ PICS!!! Re: Installing FF Radian in a 2009 Dodge Journey with PICS!!!

Well, the BIG issue I noticed right off the bat is that you've actually got the belt through the wrong belt path - for a forward facing seat, it needs to go through the forward facing beltpath, not the rear facing one. Definitely fix that before anyone rides in it!

also take the towel out from under the seat, looks a little too thick. Install it using the proper belt path then have another look. at minimum 80% of the seat should touch. put your knee in where the butt sits and push back.
    can you tell me why you are FFing her because IL's are in? can you not put her in a different spot? I don't understand?
    Misty
    SAHM to Cooper, 04/16/06 and Aurora, 06/25/11

Omg! I know better than that! What on earth was I thinking....gah! Thank you. I will fix this in the morning! That is what I get for doing this will the kids are playing in the 3rd row.

The towel is a single layer cheapie wal mart towel. It's really the thickness of a thin fleece, if even. I thought that was acceptable??

I need to FF her so that we can fit all of the adults in the car. Daddy and FIL sit in front, MIL can sit in the middle second row, and I will climb over to the 3rd row. It's just easier for all to be in one car when they visit when we go places. The one FF will be 4 in February. So as much as I prefer her RFing, I am not totally having a heart attack over it for two days. (kind of...)

I can not BELIEVE that I out the belt through the RFing belt path. I am so amazed at my stupidity. I know better. Dang.

I see what you mean on the towel....i had rolled it up at the end that hung over so it didn't hang over the seat. It is not that thick...not even close. You can see light through it if you hold it up.

as long as you fix it before you travel. Can you put her RFing in the rear seat? load them from the back?

it may make a difference in the install with it in the FFing belt path. If it ends up the way it is now then it is not really an acceptable install because at minimum 80% of the seat needs to touch. someone correct me if I am wrong but I remember having that issue at one point.

and i must say the position of those head rests would have been enough for me to look away. They do not look comfortable even for the adults.
    Misty

I see what you mean on the towel....i had rolled it up at the end that hung over so it didn't hang over the seat. It is not that thick...not even close. You can see light through it if you hold it up.
    yep it looks thick on the side. I have leather seats and i find the install better if I don't use anything between the seat and the carseat. The radians also have the non slip rubber from what I see on my seat. I just don't use anything myself.
    Misty

The seat will not fit RFing in the 3rd row. Tried it....now way Jose. Not even close. FFing, yes. But there is no tether for it.

I can do her in the middle just fine, puzzled with the other seat. BUT....then her and her little sis fight the whole time.

This car was the best we could do at the time. We don't have an unlimited budget, and it had very very low mileage and got us the same payment we had before but a much newer vehicle. I will say i told DH we needed to try the seat FF in it, but we didn't when test driving. Car shopping with toddlers is not fun! But I can't buy a car for a car seat. We needed a 3rd row for just these situations. I may have to get her a different seat for this car when she goes FFing....when ever that is. No rush here as she doesn't care either way!

UPDATED AGAIN! Installing FF Radian in a 2009 Dodge Journey

I'm done. It just doesn't fit outboard FF. Sucks, cuz that means that whenever my almost 4 yr old goes FFing I will have to buy a new seat for her.

But, it works for now in the center as there is no headrest. Here are some pics. Does it look ok? It is rock solid and tethered in the anchor (there is one for each seat position).

And here is one to show you just how off it would be due to the headrests. A few inches!!

What kind of seat should I look for? Here's the situation. The baby (almost 2) is in a Britax Blvd RFing in my DH truck. She is nearing the weight limit for that. I need something for her to remain RFing longer, 40 lb limit would be great. She is a big girl.

But, if I could have a seat that I could use RFing for her now and then ultimately use FFing in my car next year for my oldest....then I could RF the Radian in DH's truck at that time. And my oldest can use the Britax FFing in his truck (she is already FFing in his truck for 3 mths now....but is in his truck maybe once a month at most).

Any thoughts? I really appreciate the help.

Re: UPDATED AGAIN! Installing FF Radian in a 2009 Dodge Journey

Do you have switchable retractors?

I would take this as an opportunity to teach the kids to not bother one another. Then you don't have to bother with a new seat. that one works just fine where it is.
    I am also wondering about the seatbelt. Also the cover behind the seat? how thick is that?
    Misty

There is no cover behind the seat. It is on the seatback where their feet hit to keep the car's seats clean. It is outboard only, not center. And it's super thin. It's not behind the seat in anyway. It's next to it where her seat normally is when RFing.

And teaching them not to bother each other is a nice idea, but not so easy with the almost 2 yr old. She has always been a...let's just say...."spirited" child. They fight. A LOT.

At some point I will have to get a new seat (2 yrs or less) for when they are both FFing. So a new seat is inevitable. And since I need a new on in DH's truck anyway, may as well get one that will work for both circumstances.

Switchable retractors...yes. The seatbelt doesn't pull up on the seat at all. Is that why you ask?