MyRide Crotch Buckle Position

dingohate

Does anyone else notice the crotch buckle position is really far from their kid's crotch? I remember thinking the distance was ridiculous when I tried my 12lb 3 month old in it and returned it. I now have (and LOVE) one for my DD who is 20months and I STILL find she needs a rolled up shirt etc. at the crotch. Do I just have a weirdly built toddler? I can't imagine the slouch a newborn would suffer in this seat!

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Older kids with muscle tone generally don't have issues with there being a space between their crotch and the crotch strap. Does your dd actually need the roll to prevent slouching or were you concerned about the gap?

You're right that a newborn would need a crotch roll - but they need crotch rolls in a whole lot of seats.

karina250

My DD needs a crotch roll in this seat, but it really does fit her well. I have had her in it since she was consistently a little over 5lbs (about 3 weeks old.)

canadiangie

I notice it, yes. Dd is 1 and has a good 2" between the crotch strap and her body. She does slouch a bit, but I hadn't considered adding a crotch roll... mostly because I've just started to use my MR65 and just swapped for a Resa cover that offers Graco's new infant insert. The new insert, which I hope we see when the MR65 returns to Canada, is fantastic in this regard. It's easily the most supportive and 'cuddly' insert I've seen in a car seat, and I have no doubts that it would more than solve any slouching issues with a newborn. So, in the future I'd say it will be a non-issue, and for existing MR65's a rolled wash cloth would do the trick. :)

Pixelated

No pic, but you just roll a cloth or receiving blanket or something similar into a tube shape, and make a U shape along the child's inseam, filling the gap between the crotch buckle and the crotch, preventing slouch (especially in newborns). I emphasize to parents that it's about the only extra thing to purposefully put between the child and the harness other than their clothing.

dingohate

Older kids with muscle tone generally don't have issues with there being a space between their crotch and the crotch strap. Does your dd actually need the roll to prevent slouching or were you concerned about the gap?

You're right that a newborn would need a crotch roll - but they need crotch rolls in a whole lot of seats.

I was just concerned about the gap, I'm pretty sure she doesn't slouch in the seat.

Keeks64

A friend of mine has 2 MR65's for her twins and they both needed the crotch roll until almost 4 months old - I think they were around 13lbs when she removed them - they slouched so badly without it and even now at just over 9months and i'd say 18lbsish , there is still a good sized gap but no slouching :)

I wish they would add another slot :thumbsdown:

I find it funny the MR centre buckle is too far away , yet the Natui centre buckle isnt far enough :rolleyes:

snowbird25ca

A friend of mine has 2 MR65's for her twins and they both needed the crotch roll until almost 4 months old - I think they were around 13lbs when she removed them - they slouched so badly without it and even now at just over 9months and i'd say 18lbsish , there is still a good sized gap but no slouching :)

I wish they would add another slot :thumbsdown:

I find it funny the MR centre buckle is too far away , yet the Natui centre buckle isnt far enough :rolleyes:

I think the outer buckle on the Nauti and the MR buckle measure the same?

4 months is about a normal time to use a crotch roll until. I used one in ds snugride for awhile - I don't remember exactly when I quit using it. For those who have infant seats without adjustable crotch buckles like the Peg and the SR35 and even the SR22, I tell parents they'll likely need to use it until around 2 months depending on how the child fits the seat. So when you're talking a larger infant/child seat, it doesn't surprise me to need it up until 4 months or so.

SynEpona

I was just thinking as I read this, that I haven't had this issue with DD (now 10wks), then realized that she's always worn cloth diapers! They make for a bulky tushie that takes up the 'slouch space'.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC