Deaths caused by improper installation/use vs. those caused by defects

soulbarn

I'm working on a paper about car seat safety, and i'm wondering if anyone knows of a source for statistics on how many deaths/injuries related to car seat failure are caused by improper installation/use as opposed to actual product defects. I know that there's probably some blurry areas, but if anyone could point me toward some statistics, I'd be grateful. General comments on the topic are also welcome; I'd love to hear the thoughts of users and experts.

thanks!

ADS

henrietta

I'm sure someone here has actual links, but considering that over 90% of carseats are installed incorrectly and/or used incorrectly VS. carseats are tested, have to meet standards, and are recalled as needed, I'd say that way more injuries are related to improper use.

If there were one brand/make/model that was routinely defective and never recalled causing injuries over and over, I think we'd start hearing about it. I know that's not always true, b/c responders may not know what kind of seat it is and whether it was used correctly or not...but I'd bet that for the parents who ARE using them correctly, they would know they had them in right and would be calling it to the public's attention if their child were seriously injured in a crash that they did NOT expect severe injuries in.

hths

Good luck w/your paper!

henrietta

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Safe Kids recently released a study about misuse. You should be able to find it in pdf form on their website www.safekids.org . I think you will find a wealth of information there about misuse rates.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm not sure there's much out there.

Yes, there are studies on misuse, but misuse doesn't automatically equal death or injury. Kids are likely spared death or serious injury every day even in misused seats.

Conversely, children can die or be injured even in properly used seats.

To complicate matters further, it's often hard (or impossible) to determine misuse after the fact. Seatbelts and LATCH straps are designed to stretch in a crash, so even a seat that had been used correctly can appear afterwards to have not been properly installed.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC