Pre-schoolers riding on school "bus" without seats?

LukesMom

Hi,

I am not sure who to check with and thought/hoped someone here can help.

I just found out that my daughter's 3 year old class is going on a field trip and that they are riding on a bus. It's not a big bus but a smallish daycare bus. I have no idea if there are seatbelts or not. Of course, I was like, " NO WAY!" I called and talked to one of the Directors and she said that at 3 years of age, they no longer have to be in a carseat on the bus. Really? Who should I contact? State police?

Needless to say, unless she can go on the bus, in her carseat, with me there, too, she won't be riding. I will take her myself.

Thanks!

ADS

Pixels

What state are you in? Laws vary from state to state.

Is it a 15 passenger van, or is it a short school bus complete with yellow paint and flashing lights?

LukesMom

I knew I was forgetting an important part here. I'm in Virginia.

No, it's not yellow with the lights. I think it's a van type?? I'm going to talk to the Director when I pick the kids up so I can find out more then. Thanks!

Pixels

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-1095
E. Nothing in this section shall apply to taxicabs, school buses, executive sedans, or limousines.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-100
"School bus" means any motor vehicle, other than a station wagon, automobile, truck, or commercial bus, which is: (i) designed and used primarily for the transportation of pupils to and from public, private or religious schools, or used for the transportation of the mentally or physically handicapped to and from a sheltered workshop; (ii) painted yellow and bears the words "School Bus" in black letters of a specified size on front and rear; and (iii) is equipped with warning devices prescribed in § 46.2-1090. A yellow school bus may have a white roof provided such vehicle is painted in accordance with regulations promulgated by the Department of Education.

If it's not yellow, it's not a school bus. If it's not a school bus, child restraints are required, unless they are claiming the vehicle is a taxi cab, executive sedan or limousine.

LukesMom

Wow. I wonder if I should call licensing. I don't understand how they are doing this. I just know that my Dtr won't be on it.

Thank you so much!

urchin_grey

Yeah, that definitely doesn't sound right to me. And even if the law said they didn't need seats, you'd think they'd want to do better than that. Common sense would tell you a 3 year old needs to be in a carseat. Hell, my son rides a full-sized yellow bus and they would have put him in a harnessed carseat regardless of what I would have wanted, due to his small size. And he's 6!

jnamommy

If it is just a regular bus, I would be concerned not just about your dd, but other unrestrained kids. If you get them to allow you to use a carseat, but the other kids are not restrained, they pose a projectile danger. They ALL need to be properly restrained.

LukesMom

I talked to the Director and it turns out that it's been a concern as to whether or not they actually have a "bus." They were told by licensing before that it was a bus and that they could tranport without restraints. It does have shoulder belts. She is going to a meeting next week about it.

I did tell her that my Dtr will be riding with me and she said that most likely, there will be others doing that as well.

Thanks again for all of the info and thoughts!

Oh, and I meant to add that the "bus" is a van in front and then like a converted/larger van in the back. Like a church van.

Pixels

Part of your state's definition of "school bus" is that it's painted yellow. Since it's not yellow, it's not a school bus.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
That's like what my work has. Ours is white with our marketing stuff on it. Our "bus" has lap belts but we don't use them.

We use the Q'vest by Q'straint. So our kids are actually in a 4 pt harness on our bus. Our kids have to be 4 even though the restraints are approved for 1 and 20lbs. They barely fit our kindy kids....so no way would be putting our tiny 3's in them.

Susan

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC