Any experience with Evenflo Aura?

TXST8tj

new here. my son is due in about 6 weeks (our first)! we have an Evenflo Aura travel system.

B000BM4OGS_16__SCLZZZZZZZ_SS384_.jpg

some friends of ours have the same thing, but last year's colors. they actually gave us their base so we can have one in each car since their son has outgrown the carrier/car seat.

has anyone used this product, and can give any feedback? they used theirs from birth to 1 year when he outgrew it and they said they liked it a lot overall.....one of the reasons we bought it.

ADS

mominabigtruck

I honestly wouldn't waste my money but that's just me. I hate the way the stroller adjusts and the way the tray folds in on it when its folded. The carseat itself is just horrendous. Difficult to adjust, no eps foam and my baby outgrew it at 4mo. Not to mention the fact that it has to be used with a base with the handle down.:thumbsdown: There are alot better systems you could get for the money.

cpsaddict

I would run fast and far. First off, the stroller is not made well at all. Look at your friends Aura and see if the back wheels are "bowed" in. At that point, it won't turn well at all. The seat doesn't sit up all the way, so even when baby is older, they have to quite reclined. The whole thing is just really wobbly. The car seat is very difficult to use correctly. Some have front harness adjusters, but most have the rear adjust. The handle must be down when in the car and it must have at least 1.5" of clearance in front of it. I have never been able to install an Embrace(the seat that comes with the Aura) without monmental effort. The worst thing is that you must always use a base. Most other seats are able to be used without the base, which is nice for traveling and such. The Embrace is small, so I doubt any baby would make it to a year in it.
Overall, not worth the money!!! :thumbsdown:

Jewels

Senior Community Member
My friend just sold her system like that to buy the Chicco ct04 and will get a snugride or safteseat for her next baby.

The stroller is a beast! The carseat was ok but cannot be used in the vehilce without the base, the handle must be down in the vehicle and it's a pain to tighten the harness. I would go with a Graco safeseat 1 and another stroller, like the P3 or something that folds smaller :twocents:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
The car seat, oh the car seat! See how it come off the base? Way too easy! The handle must be around the release, PLUS 1 1/2" space around that so it doesn't get bumped in a crash!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Honestly?

I'd return it.

Get a better carseat such as the Chicco KeyFit or Graco SafeSeat.

pTRU1-2996366reg.jpg
pTRU1-3145379reg.jpg

If you have your heart set on being able to use your carseat as a travel system, get a frame for it and then invest in a NICE umbrella stroller for later.

pTRU1-2787042reg.jpg
pTRU1-2895046reg.jpg

pTRU1-3289860reg.jpg
pTRU1-3416039reg.jpg

OR, you could get the Maclaren XLR, which is SUPER-nice and will let you use your carseat in it now. The Peg Perego Pliko (pictured above) will let you use certain carseats too.

41oaNS9-N5L._SS260_.jpg

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Honestly?

I'd return it.

Get a better carseat such as the Chicco KeyFit or Graco SafeSeat.

pTRU1-2996366reg.jpg
pTRU1-3145379reg.jpg

If you have your heart set on being able to use your carseat as a travel system, get a frame for it and then invest in a NICE umbrella stroller for later.

pTRU1-2787042reg.jpg
pTRU1-2895046reg.jpg

pTRU1-3289860reg.jpg
pTRU1-3416039reg.jpg

OR, you could get the Maclaren XLR, which is SUPER-nice and will let you use your carseat in it now. The Peg Perego Pliko (pictured above) will let you use certain carseats too.

41oaNS9-N5L._SS260_.jpg

I agree :D

TXST8tj

Were they able to use the car seat until 1 yr? That is very uncommon unless it is a tiny baby.
yes, he was just over 1 year of age when they switched car seats. he is on the small end of the chart. our son will not be in the same boat.

Patriot20171 said:
Honestly? I'd return it. Get a better carseat such as the Chicco KeyFit or Graco SafeSeat.
just out of pure ignorance to the market (i'm new to this), what about those brands/models makes them a better choice?
we really do like the overall idea of a 'travel system'. it makes sense for us. my wife will be dropping the boy off at day care in the mornings (when her maternity leave is over), and i will be picking him up on my way home from work in the afternoon. with two bases, we will have one in each car making it a snap to get loaded. we liked the idea better than taking him out of a car seat, then into a carrier into day care, then out of day care in the carrier, out of the carrier into another car seat, etc. etc. additionally, we like the idea of removing the carrier from the car seat position and then right into the stroller. it just seems like it would be much easier not having to move him from one carrier/car seat/ stroller to another.

Jewels said:
The stroller is a beast! The carseat was ok but cannot be used in the vehilce without the base, the handle must be down in the vehicle and it's a pain to tighten the harness.
we're not too concerned with the stroller. it folds very easily and with our SUV and truck, space is not much of an issue. we have two bases, so that's not an issue either. if we're going to take one of the grand parent's vehicles, removing the base and moving it will be no more difficult than moving an entire car seat....same straping in to do. we thought the 'handle down' deal was going to be an issue for us at first, but we have since traded my wife's sedan for another SUV, so no worries. it is a general inconvenience though because i am 6'5" and while i'm in the front, the seat generally would have the be all the way back.

cpsaddict said:
The whole thing is just really wobbly. The car seat is very difficult to use correctly. The worst thing is that you must always use a base. Most other seats are able to be used without the base, which is nice for traveling and such.
after visiting as many stores as we could, and trying as many strollers as we could, this one actually seemed one of the most sturdy of all of them. it is bulkier, stiffer, and overall bigger than most out there. while the bulky size may be a turn-off to some, i look at it as stability and protection. the base is not an issue. it is no more difficult to remove and reinstall a base and carrier unit than a stand alone seat....you have to strap in and unstrap in the same basic fashion either way.

i definitely appreciate the feedback. either way, i asked for it. form and function seems like it will be good for us. no one else we talked to at the time of purchase suggested anything else, so we went with what we thought. i am mainly just glad to hear no one said anything about it being a death trap or something. that would really brighten my day :eek: .

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
A "travel system" is a car seat that comes with a stroller. You can get an infant seat with base plus a spare base for a second vehicle without buying the "travel system" that comes with (usually) a crappy stroller.

The infant seat is a life saving device. Pick the best one for your situation first! The *best* seat is one which fits your vehicle, fits your child, fits your budget, and will be used properly EVERY SINGLE TRIP.

Then, you can find a stroller that will also work for your family, whether it's available as a "system" or one you buy separately. As posted above, there are a variety of strollers which can be used with infant carriers, even if they are different brands. Look at where you plan to use it (mall? outdoors?), how often, how tall the person pushing it is, how much trunk space or closet space you have for storing it when not in use, what is your budget, etc.

Also, keep in mind that it's not healthy for babies to spend very much time in a car seat outside the vehicle. There may be times when it's more convenient to pop the seat into a stroller, but most of the time, it's much better for baby to be carried or, if a stroller is necessary, to lie flat or almost flat in the stroller seat itself. Not only is human interaction, eye contact, and loving touch necessary for proper brain development, but babies who spend too much time in the same position (as when strapped into an infant seat) can actually experience flattening of the skull, which may need medical attention to correct! A sling or pack carrier or even just parents' arms can be as convenient as a stroller, especially in shops with narrow walkways or heavy traffic.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
just out of pure ignorance to the market (i'm new to this), what about those brands/models makes them a better choice?

I actually used the wrong word above. I shouldn't have said "better," I should have said "generally easier to use." :eek: As Ulrike said, the best seat is the one that fits your vehicle, fits your child, and you can use correctly every time. The Evenflo might be the best for you.

The reason I suggested the KeyFit (the seat on the left in my post above) is that it is VERY easy to install in most vehicles, fits most children quite well, and is a very well-liked seat.

The reason I suggested the Graco SafeSeat 1 (the seat on the right in my post above) is that is generally is quite easy to install in most vehicles, fits most children quite well, and is a very well-liked seat. In addition, it fits MUCH bigger babies (up to 30 pounds or until the head is within one inch of the shell of the seat). Most children fit in the SafeSeat 1 until they are at least 12 months old. Some 2-year-olds still fit!!

we really do like the overall idea of a 'travel system'. it makes sense for us. my wife will be dropping the boy off at day care in the mornings (when her maternity leave is over), and i will be picking him up on my way home from work in the afternoon. with two bases, we will have one in each car making it a snap to get loaded. we liked the idea better than taking him out of a car seat, then into a carrier into day care, then out of day care in the carrier, out of the carrier into another car seat, etc. etc.

You don't need to buy a "travel system" per se in order to do this. Infant carseats are available separately, as are the extra bases.

additionally, we like the idea of removing the carrier from the car seat position and then right into the stroller. it just seems like it would be much easier not having to move him from one carrier/car seat/ stroller to another.

There are strollers available (nice strollers) that allow you to do this. See above. :)

As Ulrike said, though, spending a lot of unnecessary time in the carseat is not healthy. It is best for babies to be moved from place to place (including your arms or a soft carrier! :love: ). I completely understand wanting to have the ability to move the carseat to a stroller and back, though. I have benefitted from that ability several times. :)

after visiting as many stores as we could, and trying as many strollers as we could, this one actually seemed one of the most sturdy of all of them. it is bulkier, stiffer, and overall bigger than most out there. while the bulky size may be a turn-off to some, i look at it as stability and protection.

Have you tried any Peg Perego or Maclaren strollers? They are not nearly as heavy and are EXTREMELY well-constructed strollers. They don't have that plasticy feel like many of the Graco, Evenflo, and Cosco strollers have.

While the bulk might not bother you now, think about down the road. :) Having a well-made, lightweight stroller is great! The Peg Perego and Maclaren strollers push like a hot knife through butter :)love:), while many cheaper strollers become VERY wobbly, falling apart after a short period of time. While some may balk at the price tag on the more expensive strollers, there is a reason for that price! :)

i am mainly just glad to hear no one said anything about it being a death trap or something. that would really brighten my day :eek: .

Nope. It is not a death trap stroller. :) :p There are just some other options (see above).

Jewels

Senior Community Member

One thing that makes them "better" other then just easier to use is the material they are made out of. Evenflo/Graco/Cosco strollers have plastic wheels and are made out of heavey materials where as the Peg Perego has rubber wheels and is made out of aluminum making it lighter and less likely to bend after use. So even though you don't mind the big and bulky look into the materials that are used to make the big and bulky strollers. Also you may have the room for a big stroller but for longer trips (ie. holidays, camping etc.) when you really need to pack your vehicle a big stroller can really take up a lot of valuable space. I often see people or have friends who have bought big strollers and then buy cheap umbrella strollers for the mall and everything other then walking. This doesn't make sense to me why you would buy an expensive stroller and then just use a cheap one lots of the time :confused:

If big and bulky is really what you want, then look into strollers by Baby Jogger, Peg Perego, Phil and Teds and I will try to find you more ideas and links.

UlrikeDG

A few other factors to consider: While "big and bulky" might appeal to you, will your wife agree when she's trying to pull the sucker out of her trunk in 100 degree weather? ;) Also, while the stroller might move fine when empty, it might be a PITB to steer when you've got a 20 lb+ baby in the seat. This is a tough thing to check out when you don't have older kids.

Frankly, though, I'm much less concerned about stroller issues, than I am about the car seat. You'll probably find that you don't know exactly what your preferences are until you've been using the stroller for a while, and preferences change as your child gets older, seasons change, etc. Strollers aren't a life-or-death issue. Car seats are!

Make sure the seat you've chosen fits well in your vehicles, both of them! Remember that Evenflo doesn't allow the child restraint to touch the front seat, so you'll need more room in your vehicle for an Evenflo seat for some other brands. Some models are easier to install than others, but if the Evenflo base fits well in your cars, it doesn't matter whether it fits easily in a variety of other vehicles or not.

Make sure you can use the seat properly every trip. Do you hear it click into the base when you put it in the car? Do you know how to tighten the straps? That's easier on some models than others. It's important that the straps be snug around your baby to keep him/her in the seat during a crash. On some models, you really need to loosen the straps every time you take the baby out. On other models, it's fairly easy to get the baby out of the seat with the straps tight.

Again, what really matters is if you, your wife, and anyone else who will be strapping your baby into the seat or will be putting the seat into the vehicle on a regular basis can and will do it correctly every single trip. As long as the seat is used correctly every single trip, it will provide excellent protection in a crash.

Other factors that matter to some parents:
- How soon will the seat be outgrown?
- How easy is the seat to install in other vehicles (e.g., grandparents' or babysitters' cars or even taxis)?
- Does the seat work well for air travel?
- How comfortable is the seat? Does it have much padding?
- How much does the seat cost? You may want a more expensive seat to be "practically perfect" while being willing to compromise on an issue or two for a decent seat found on clearance.

There is no "best seat" for everyone. They all have pros and cons. All you need to do is find the seat that will work well to keep *your child* safe. :)

KissTheCook

I've had 2 evenflo infant seats and they were just *okay* for me. The handles have problems (yes, I'm talking about older ones but there was a more recent recall so I don't trust the newer ones either) they weren't particularly lightweight,and my large babies outgrew them around 4-5 months, if that.
I had a britax handle with care and a Cosco Opus 35 with the last baby but they're both off the market now.
I just bought a Compass i400 at big lots this past weekend. It isn't what I wanted but I'm VERY happy with it. The seat itself, when taken off the base if pretty light and it has a 30 inch height limit (22lb weight limit) so it will be usable longer for us. It requires the use of the base in the vehicle (my main problem with it but doesn't sound like an issue at all for you) where a lot of seats could be used in a second car WITHOUT a base.
Our issue was that we just don't have the money for the Graco Safe Seat or I would've gotten that FOR SURE not only because I have big babies and it's currently got the highest weight and height limits on the market for an infant seat, but because I've heard so many great things about it. They also make a snap and go type stroller frame to "go" with it which would be a lot easier on your back than a traditional stroller no matter how much room you have ;)

cryswilkins

A good friend of mine had this travel system. Her DD is in the 5th percentile and still fits at 1 year. My DD in in the 95th percentile and would have been out by 5 months if that. If you are tall, and so is your wife I would consider something that will last a little bit longer. The stroller that comes with, is a beast and I have heard of the wheels falling off. My frinds was 3 months old and the wheels were falling off and it was hard to steer. It took Evenflo another month to get the replacement to her. I am just not a big fan. There are MUCH better options out there.

mominabigtruck

Well, evenflo isn't the same as cosco. Dorel juvenile group makes cosco, safety 1st and eddie bauer products. Evenflo is a whole seperate company, but they are known for their recalls on infant seats.

lovinwaves

new here. my son is due in about 6 weeks (our first)! we have an Evenflo Aura travel system.
some friends of ours have the same thing, but last year's colors. they actually gave us their base so we can have one in each car since their son has outgrown the carrier/car seat.

has anyone used this product, and can give any feedback? they used theirs from birth to 1 year when he outgrew it and they said they liked it a lot overall.....one of the reasons we bought it.

I sent you a Private message ;)

UlrikeDG

Also, Cosco and Costco are different companies. Cosco makes baby stuff. Costco is a warehouse store like Sam's Club.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC