Is it ok for stores to sell display models?

Dmcj13

I thought selling display models was a big no no? Or am I wrong? I was at baby depot on Saturday, and saw a couple buying the display model of a Maestro, because there were no girly ones in stock. The sales person admitted that he knew nothing about car seats. :thumbsdown: Even worse is the kid they bought it for couldn't have been much if any older than one. I want to write a letter to the store or something, but I want to make sure that they actually did do something wrong.

ADS

jolynn6

Not sure what the rule is but some stores seats say display model do not sell...my mil got us one on display from big lots before I knew any better

NannyMom

Some stores are allowed to sell the displays, I know Babies R us does it all the time. But ones at Target are labeled not to sell. However, buying the display is usually a bad idea.

emtb79

Some stores are allowed to sell the displays, I know Babies R us does it all the time. But ones at Target are labeled not to sell. However, buying the display is usually a bad idea.

Yea where is the picture of the car seat we found broken with Susan on display?

leblanlm

Senior Community Member
I've sold seats that we have out on display before. But, I will only sell them if I have thoroughly looked them over, the date of manufacture is very recent, and if all tags (recall card, etc) and manual are attached. There are definitely certain seats that I will NOT sell the display model of; those that I know have been around for a while, have been tired out many times, etc. Would *I* personally buy a displayed seat? No. But I would also not buy a used seat and I know that plenty of people do. If it were between those two, I would buy a display seat from a store vs a used seat.

NannyMom

Yea where is the picture of the car seat we found broken with Susan on display?

It's on Facebook. But yeah, it was like 1 month old (from DOM) and broken already.

You really never know how the seats are treated when customers are allowed to try them in their cars.

leblanlm

Senior Community Member
It's on Facebook. But yeah, it was like 1 month old (from DOM) and broken already.

You really never know how the seats are treated when customers are allowed to try them in their cars.

I agree. And this sounds completely hypocritical, but I would never want someone to buy a display seat from one of my co-workers. I only sell the display if it has been very recently put up. Like the True Fit I sold yesterday. It was taken out of the box Saturday and put on the shelf. Same thing with a Frontier85 and Radian that I have sold; they were literally set up just day's before I sold them. Now the infant seats? I've never sold a display and probably never will. Those seats are treated like crap and tried out in so many cars and strollers that I would not feel comfortable selling one of those.

What about returned seats though? I know that the girls at customer service don't always know what to look for when returning the seats and I definitely don't know the history of those.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC