first time air travel for 5 year olds?

rosiegirl

i'm sure these questions have been asked a million times but i'm so lost that i had to ask again.

i am traveling for the first time on an airplane with my 5 1/2 year old twins (39/40 and 42ish lbs). we will be renting a car on the other end so there will be driving. my biggest concern is safety, the rest i can deal with. i just can't seem to figure out the safest plan for my age kids.

currently the kids are in britax frontiers (bought a few months ago). we still have our britax marathons and i'm pretty sure my daughter isn't too tall for it yet but i have to check.

what's the best plan of action for taking 5 1/2 year old twins on an airplane and driving on the other end?

1. bring the marathons (if they fit)?
2. bring the giant frontiers?
3. buy 2 CARES harnesses (are those safe?)
4. buy 2 cheaper 5 point harness seats. are there any that are as safe as the frontier but smaller?
5. something else? do they need seats?

as an aside: my kids are great in their car seats so i'm not worried about them not sitting still even without seats on the plane. we are checking luggage. we don't have any seats in my husbands car so it wouldn't be too crazy to buy a set of smaller, safe seats.

thanks, all! i'm kind of freaking out.

ADS

T4K

If you are up to it, Maestros will
keep them harnessed and are $80. You can bungee two on a luggage cart and have them for the plane. They are light weight and easy to install both in a car and on the plane.

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
Are you checking luggage? Do they ever sit in boosters (without the harness)? You could get 2 high back boosters that can be used without their backs. Take the bottoms on the plane as carry on (can't use them on the plane) and check the backs.

rosiegirl

bensmom...we are checking luggage. they've never sat in boosters before but that doesn't rule it out! what seat would work for that?

thirsty...thanks! i'll look into those.

mama2girls

is that better than the maestro? i'm sorry for all the questions!

The Maestro is a harnessed seat that can be used as a booster later. The Turbobooster is a dedicated booster. So, not better/worse, just different. At 5 1/5 I would be comfortable with using a booster for your trip, if you feel that both kids will sit properly in one. However, if you'd rather have a harnessed seat for DH car when you get home, than go with the Maestro. Maestros run about $80; Turboboosters are about $50, though you can find both for less on sale. You could also bring one of your Marathons (if your DD still fits) and buy a Maestro/Turbobooster for the other twin.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC