Monterey

carseatfreak

I have been looking for another booster for my dd who is 7.5, 50 lbs, prob 49". Currently in a tb in my 08 odyssey that just doesn't look comfy as she gets bigger. A latchable booster is important to me as I travel daily without her in van and just her younger sisters (an it's a pain to get in third row to buckle it in). I am eyeing the Monterey...how do you all feel about this seat for older kiddos. Is this something that would fit her comfortably for a couple/few more years? Do you have a better idea? We handed down our nautilus to a family I work with and I wasn't fond of how high she sat up in the van with it. We will be doing a cross country trip next summer and I want her to be safe and comfy.

ADS

kater-tot82

My 8yo is about that same size and likes her Monterey. I think it fits her well and I like it, too. She is not much of a car sleeper but on the few occasions she has dozed off, the headwings were great. We bought it after we did a 7+ hour trip with her in the TB and all she did was complain about how her back hurt. She doesn't complain in the Monterey.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My DS is bigger than that (~54", 60lbs) and fits rather well in the Monterey, I'd say, with room yet to grow. :thumbsup:

ElfJewel

My 9yo loves her Monterey. She will be sad when she outgrows the back. It fits my 7 and 5yos well too and we have another that is a spare/waiting for DD2 to outgrow her Nautilus. It fits well in our Odyssey in the captains chair (and also in our 07 Odyssey)

luckyclov

We love the Monterey. It's such a fantastic fit on my big kids.

However, that said, they aren't going to last us as a HBB nearly as long as I had initially hoped for.

Here's a picture of my 8 1/2 year old, 51" (67 lbs) DS1 in his Monterey two weekends ago. It's on the last adjustment and he has just about outgrown the back. My DD, age 7, is 47.5" (57 lbs) and also on the last setting, with a bit of room to grow. They both have long torsos and big heads, which does factor.

Montereys.jpg

carseatfreak

My 9yo loves her Monterey. She will be sad when she outgrows the back. It fits my 7 and 5yos well too and we have another that is a spare/waiting for DD2 to outgrow her Nautilus. It fits well in our Odyssey in the captains chair (and also in our 07 Odyssey)

What is the height/weight of your 9yo?

Dillipop

The monterey is my 8 yo's favorite seat. He weighs about 53 pounds and is 51 inches, I think. When we went on a 7 hour road trip, I gave him the option of the monterey, TB, vivo, and OS parkway and he immediately chose the monterey for the trip.

carseatfreak

You guys/gals can probably answer this faster than I can research it...how much more seat depth with back will I get with the Monterey over the TB?

Thanks,
Amanda

Mags462

You guys/gals can probably answer this faster than I can research it...how much more seat depth with back will I get with the Monterey over the TB?

Thanks,
Amanda

Sorry, i am a little confused on the question :eek: Are you asking how much deeper the Monterey seat is vs the Turbo? Or are you asking how much taller the Monterey will go w/ the back on vs the Turbo?

It looks like the internal seat depth on both seats is the same - 14in. As for the height difference - the Turbo goes to 28in and the Monterey to 32in.

All of the above stats i got using this awesome stat chart in the forums which lists numerical stats on just about every seat out there. Great resource if you want other comparisons between the two.

As for the Turbo vs Monterey question i think your child would probably do great in a Monterey. I have both and DS1 rides in a Monterey full time, the turbo is our spare. DS isn't very thin, but he is TALL - just shy of 4ft and he's not even 6 yet. He has a lot of growing room still in the Monterey. I am sure it will get us well in to the years where i feel a backless is more appropriate. :)

My DS is 8 1/2 53" and about 76lbs and fits great in the Monterery. He has a lot of growing room also height wise as he has a shorter torso. He still uses it as a HBB because he sleeps even on short car rides.

scoutingbear

My 7 year old, 52" 63 lbs, much prefers his Monterey over the turbo. It fits him great and he stays in position better than in the turbo as well. And I like that it is latchable so I can throw him out of the car in valet lines without having to worry about it being buckled in.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC