Why can't they add tether locations for me?

sanctareparata

We have a Pontiac minivan. The back row seats only have one tether location - behind the middle seat. It's also the only location where LATCH is installed.

I called the dealership today and they said (after figuring out what on earth I was talking about - I went through FOUR people who didn't even know what LATCH was - I wanted to scream DON'T ANY OF YOU HAVE ANY KIDS????!!!) that it's not recommended to add tether points to the car.

WHY NOT? No one will do it for me. WHY NOT?

I read on here that Ford dealers do it, etc. What's up with General Motors?

So I called GM directly and they said the same thing the local dealership said. Now what? When my 3 kids FF back there eventually, there will be only one seat tethered. :(

ADS

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
GM and other car manufactures won't add add'l tether locations on vehicle that are equiped with LATCH.

I had a Sienna (not sure the year model but '01/'02) that only had 2 top tether locations in it. 1 on the driver 2nd row outboard & 1 on the 3rd row. They too couldn't get another tether location added for 1 of their other children. They actually had 4 kids (3 in harnessed seats- 1 rf'ing & 3 ff'ing). So, They moved their oldest (just turned 6yr old) to a booster (Parkway). But, Where unsure what they were going to do when the toddler had to be turned ff'ing.

scatterbunny

No, not unless it's a heavy duty anchor kit from EZOn, I've heard their customer service is great at helping you figure out if there is an acceptable location in your vehicle, and how to do it if there is.

Loves2sing

Could you use a D-ring attached to a part that is bolted to the floor? i am not sure if this is an option, I am just inquiring.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Nope, sorry. D-ring top tether attachments are for rear facing tethering only for Britax and Sunshine Kids convertible seats. The D-rings are not designed to be subjected to crash forces with a forward facing seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC