how minor of an accident do you replace seats?

bbygrl99

Today we were with family in a rental car and we were swiped by a tractor trailer. He didn't even know he hit our car. No one was hurt and there was minimal damage- just scrapped the side of the car and knocked off the side view mirror. Do I replace her RA now? Is there limits on that? How do I do it? Just tell the insurance co? Thanks for any advice. :confused:

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Britax would say no. If there's no injury, minimal damage, car can still be driven, then it qualifies as a minor enough crash that the seat doesn't need to be replaced (Graco and Evenflo are more strict, but Britax adheres to the NHTSA recommendations...it's gotta be a pretty bad crash to worry about replacing the seat if it's a Britax).
Man, that's gotta be annoying, though :eek:

southpawboston

yeah, if you've got a britax seat and the car only got scraped + broken side mirror, then the seat doesn't meet britax's requirements for replacement. i'd say that's about as minor as it gets, short of a parking lot ding :)

some mfrs automatically say to replace, but that's less because they think there's damage and more because it eliminates those "what if" situations, and therefore, those "what if" lawsuits. it's just easier for them... CYA. britax takes the high road with their more realistic checklist.

did you get the no-deductible waiver on your rental? good thing it wasn't YOUR car!!!

bbygrl99

Ya it was all taken care of and the worst part was he was on his cell phone and had NO CLUE he even hit us!!! We were on the phone with 911 and had to follow him until they caught up with him to let him know! What a bummer but they replaced the car right away with a new one which was super nice even though it was only scraped. Thanks for the help! I don't know what I would do without this website!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

all together ooky

My last car scraped along a guard rail (just the paint was scraped all the way down the side of the car). It did end up totalling out the car though (shows how much my car was worth, Ha ha). The lady that ran me off the road had fallen asleep (at 10:30 in the morning!) She had no idea she had ran me off the road either. She did strat crying when she realized there was a kid in the back seat.

I didn't replace my seat. It was a minor accident, no sudden stop. Shoot, I think I put more pressure on the seat when I'm installing it. :eek:

all together ooky

The paint job would have cost more than the car was worth. So they gave me the amount the car was worth and took the car. Still ran and drove fine.
I could have kept the car and and gotten less from the insurance, but I hated that car and was very ready for a different one (It had 170,000 miles on it and as far as I knew the timing belt had never been changed. The accident turned out to be kind of a good deal for us. Sad, but true.)

all together ooky

Yup, made a nice downpayment for the minvan. :thumbsup:

(I think it helped that the auto body shop I went to to get my quote is awesome. They restore old Corvettes and do all the body work on the cop cars around here.)

The best part was that it was all on the other person's insurance.

southpawboston

The accident turned out to be kind of a good deal for us. Sad, but true.

i had a car once that just didn't stop making money for me... every time someone hit it, insurance kept paying me for the damage (never my fault), but it just wasn't worth it to me to fix it... then one day it got totalled (again, not my fault) and insurance gave me $2600 for a car that was quite literally worth less than $1000.

oh, and to top it off, i had bought the car used, and one day a jewelry box fell out from under the dash... cashed in $1850 worth of antique jewelry. i had paid $1800 for the car two weeks earlier. no joke...

luckiest car i ever owned...

sorry for going O/T!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The OP was driving a rental car, which was swapped by the rental company for another car after the crash involving the first rental car, I believe. ;)

wildchild

I was rear-ended at a stoplight, without my daughter in the car. We were using a two year old Evenflo Triumph at the time. Well, it was bought new and we had been using it for two years, I don't think I ever checked the DOM, so I have no idea how old it actually was. Anyway, I told the insurance company and they gave me what I paid for it. I saved it to put towards a new carseat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC