Is mini bus safety like big school bus? Compartmentalization or harness required?

Athena

My daughter's class is starting field trips, so I have to ask, for a 5 year old does the mini school bus perform like the big school bus (compartmentalization, no restraint required) or if not, what would be required for a 5 year old? Also, are harnesses necessary for van buses?

I tried searching, but couldn't quite find my answer and am in a bind now to find this out to be prepared in time. Thank you!

ADS

Athena

Anyone? The buses they are using are from a different school and "slightly smaller" than their regular full sizes buses they use. I don't know what that means and the teacher does not know what I'm talking about, but says they would not use them if they were not safe.

Edit - Nevermind. They look like normal sized buses to me so I'll assume they are okay? Too late to do anything different for today anyway. Thanks.

Last edited:

Ninetales

I'm not an expert on buses but I thought it was only the big buses that benefited from compartmentalization and such, and restraints were required on small ones.

Athena

I'm not an expert on buses but I thought it was only the big buses that benefited from compartmentalization and such, and restraints were required on small ones.

I was editing my post at the same time as you were posting. Thank you for your response. That was what I had thought and why I was so worried (more like panicking!), but I saw it this morning and it looks full sized to me. (not that I'm an expert, but I've seen obviously small ones that I assume are the ones called mini buses and they seem to be a lot smaller)

Pixels

Smaller buses have some compartmentalization (high, padded seat backs, etc) but lack some of the sheer mass of the bigger buses. I would have to get out my manual to check about the smaller buses, but it sounds like it's not an issue today after all.

Athena

So after the fact, I found out that some of the kids did travel on a smaller bus that day. I'm fairly certain that my DD traveled on the bus I was told she would be on that day (one that appeared like a big full sized bus to me), but we will have numerous field trips this year with another one approaching quickly. In addition, these are not one mile trips at 30 MPH and some are 65 MPH freeway trips and/or hilly, winding roads. And technically, my DD is a little small for compartmentalization to work well so even sending her on the regular bus makes me a little nervous.

I don't know the details on this smaller bus. Could they just be different sized full sized buses or should I assume it is a mini bus? What is the definition of a mini bus? And mini buses would require 5 year olds to be harnessed? Is that right? The school also owns a van bus and am I correct that those definitely require harnesses and are not considered very safe? I'm trying to figure out how to have an informative conversation with someone at the school about this (and who to talk to).

I need to be prepared, not only so I ask the right questions and am able to get the right information and handle this, but also so that I sound knowledgeable and give a respectable impression. Based on the reactions I got last time, I don't think anyone else has ever asked about this and they don't get it.

I hate being in this situation, being that one crazy, bothersome parent. Yet, I wonder why no one else is asking and why we are not being told up front without having to ask. Shouldn't the way our children is being transported be a priority? Thank you so much for your help with this!

bnsnyde

Those are all good questions. I was the crazy parent who spent a lot of time asking those questions, too. :)

My 3-year-old uses a STARS seat (like a carseat for a bus) on her school bus. It's a mini-bus. She is the only kid who uses one, b/c I asked. THEN I asked if it was less than 6 years old and that took a week to get an answer. One of the seats was mysteriously switched (so maybe they discovered it was expired or something; its chest clip was impossible). Nobody really knew how to answer my questions. They even told me the STARS is a booster so does not expire!

And the bus driver is nervous b/c she can't get my daughter out super quickly in an emergency, she says. Fair enough. But I also want her restrained in more than a lap belt. There are seatbelt cutters easily available to the driver up front, though.

My 5-year-old takes a mini-bus sort of thing (not a school bus) to after-school club. It's kind of like a wheelchair mini-bus, but it looks like a school bus. It has lap belts. High padded seats, but individual ones. I don't really know much about this set-up and didn't get anywhere asking around. After this year it's not something he'll be using for grades 1 and up, since he won't be in the same program. I don't know that it's unsafe as a vehicle. The preschool uses it. I just wish someone had answers! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC