This question went out to my "Mothers of Twins Club":
Our twins are almost 17 months old and have finally hit 20 pounds, so
they've met the two milestones that the Britax Marathon carseats
have for changing to the front-facing position. However, in the back
of my mind I'm remembering that there might be a reason for keeping
them rear-facing for as long as possible. (The Marathon can be rear-
facing up to 33 lb.) Or am I just remembering that they need to
meet both the age and the weight? Please advise if you remember or
know! I'd love to turn them around - it's so much easier!

I replied with:
One year and 20 lbs is the MINIMUM to face forward. AAP policy since 2001 has been than children should rear-face to the limits of their seat. For Britax Marathons, that’s 33 lbs OR when the top of the head reaches the top of the car seat shell.

Check this website for additional information, especially the crash test videos at the bottom of the page:

http://cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx

Remember, every step “up” in car seats—from rear- to forward-facing, from harness to belt-positioning booster, from booster to seatbelt alone—is a step DOWN in safety. It is safest to keep your kids rear-facing and harnessed as long as possible.

And got back:
Thank you for your response. Based on your thoughts and responses from many other moms, I will keep them back-facing for as long as I can. Right now, they face their big brother, so it’s a big party in the backseat anyway! (The video link you sent convinced me, without a doubt!)

Take care and thanks for taking the time,

Yay! EVERY time a car seat question comes up on our e-mail list I put in a plug for rear-facing to the limits of seats, and it seems to be making an impact.

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Good for you!!!

That's great!!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I *shudder* at the thought of 20-pound children being FF.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC