Flying with car seats or not

HeWants4

We will be flying next month with two 3-year-olds. Is it recommended to use carseats on the airplane?
I know some seats are approved, but that's about all I know. :) We have a Britax marathon and a Cosco Senera.

ADS

Pixels

Yes, it is recommended to use seats on the plane. If you have seats at your destination, at 3yo they might not need seats on the plane. But if you'll need seats at your destination, using your seats on board is the only real way to be sure they are not damaged. Also, your kids are used to sitting in their seats and being restrained for a while, so they will probably be best behaved in their familiar seats.

Both the Marathon and Scenera are FAA approved for use on flights. One of the stickers on the seat will state this. Find it on each seat before you go; the flight crew may ask you to show them this sticker before allowing you to take your seats on.

Eclipsepearl

Both seats are approved but you have some options.

First of all, if you need your car seats at your destination, do NOT check them as luggage. Use them on board. This is safer for both your child and the seat.

Because the Britax is big, you may find it's worthwhile to buy another Scenera. It's up to you, especially if you're alone. If you have another adult with you, simply put them on one, or two luggage carts and pull them through the airport. I would use this as a kind of "stroller" with my toddlers. They could ride in it. They sell these "Gogo kids" thingies but they're basically overpriced luggage carts. OR one of you could push a stroller while the two seats are loaded up on a luggage cart. Try whatever you're going to do at home first. Don't be fiddling with this for the first time at the airport on the day of departure.

If you don't need car seats where you're going (reliable ones waiting, using public transport, etc.) then you might want to go without. This is a safety compromise on the plane though. You could rent or buy a CARES harness, which would make it safer on the plane. These can only be used on an aircraft, not in a car.

If there are two of you, send one adult with the car seats on board first. Have them 1. make sure there isn't any seating problem (ugh!) and 2. Install the seats calmly without crying or fussing children around. The other adult lets the kids let off steam and then waltzs on board later on, with everything ready!

Look for red lettering on your car seat, usually on the side that says "Approved for airplane..." Most U.S. car seats are FAA approved. For the record, it's your right to use those car seats on board by FAA rules.

HeWants4

Thanks for the advice. Sorry for the delayed reply.

We do need the carseats at our destination. I was planning on checking them. Is this a bad idea?
We do have 2 Scenera's but DD is 41 lbs, and I think it only goes up to 40.
Will a Marathon fit in the seat? They are very wide. We do have 2 adults and a double stroller.

ahgirls

I have never flown with kids before :eek: but I am sure both of your seats will fit fine.

It is not recommend to gate check seats unless you can put them in the original box. Airlines are not know for being nice to seats. They damage and drop stuff frequently. Also it is safer for your kids to be in their own seats. They are use to traveling in them and will help make the flight easier.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Since they have their own seats in the plane, it's both safer and more convenient for them to be in their car seats on the plane. They are used to car seats so they will be more comfortable, and easier to keep contained. Plus you don't have to worry about the seats being damaged.

Pixels

We do need the carseats at our destination. I was planning on checking them. Is this a bad idea?
Will a Marathon fit in the seat? They are very wide. We do have 2 adults and a double stroller.

Checking seats is definitely not a good idea. When the baggage handlers are unloading the plane, they throw them in the general direction of the conveyor. Sometimes the seat lands on the conveyor, sometimes it doesn't and it drops all the way to the ground. Now, not all baggage handlers are this way, but too many are. Many don't realize they need to be careful with child safety seats. Others are too pressed for time or simply don't care. :(

You're right, the Scenera only goes to 40 pounds, so definitely use a Marathon for that child.

A Marathon will fit in the seat. When you get on the plane, ask for a seatbelt extender. Use that when you install the seat, making sure that at least one of the buckles is all the way out of the belt path. There isn't enough clearance in the belt path to lift the lever to unbuckle.

vonfirmath

I have flown with a Marathon. It fits beautifully in the seat and I LOVED having it on the other end -- its SO much easier to install. When you are dealing with an unfamiliar car to begin with, that's a nice bonus.

Jan06twinmom

I agree with the other people that it's a bad idea to check car seats. The major safety risk is that the car seat will be damaged by the baggage handlers. I'm more concerned about damage that I can't see, but would compromise the car seat so it would fail during an accident.

The other issues is that the airline might lose your car seat. I know several people who checked their car seats and the car seat didn't arrive at their destination with them. One mom was given seats from the airline to use to take her twins home. She took one look at the seats and sent her DH to the store to buy 2 new seats so they could get home safely.

Melanie

Eclipsepearl

I walked off the plane, pulling my car seat behind me so we'd have it on our 2 hour drive home...

At baggage, only ONE of our FOUR bags was there. The others took 3 or 4 days to be returned to us.

Boy was I glad I had brought and used the car seat on board! I had a pretty unhappy bunch without clothes and toys but at least the youngest was safe on the way home!

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The Marathon will fit on the airplane, but if you're wanting something lighter to travel with, you might look at the Maestro. It harnesses to 50# and has tall top slots (costs about $80) so it should fit your 40# child.

For transporting through the airport, you can rig your seats up on luggage carts with bungees (or use the LATCH straps if you're using a seat w/ the regular hook type LATCH). As long as the carts are rated to a high enough weight you can even stick your kids in the harness and pull them through the airport in the seats.

vonfirmath

The maestro makes a great FFing airplane seat as well! (I've flown with that one as well)

You can even use the fold down tray with it!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC