Car Seats from Dirt Cheap stores safe?

juliet108

We have this store called Dirt Cheap. It's a random mix of stuff from various stores. I've seen store brands and price tags from places like Target, Old Navy, Wal-mart and Kohl's, as well as name brand merchandise. It's supposed to be returns or defective items. There are no returns. You are responsible for checking to make sure things work. They provide a electrical outlet and testing space.
I was in there tonight and they had some car seats. I was looking at a Roundabout 50 that was $67. It's new, in the box, but opened of course. There was a sticker on the outside of the box that said "salvage".
That made me nervous, so I didn't get it. When I got home I looked up their site and this is what they say about Salvage items:
What is salvage?
Salvage merchandise mostly consists of retail merchandise that has been claimed by an insurance company due to some form of natural disaster, whether it be fire, flood, or another form of damage to the store. We then buy the merchandise and resell it in our stores. Salvaged goods can also be considered liquidations, closeouts, business closings or overstocks.
Doesn't salvage mean that it's just junk?
In the retail industry salvage can have various definitions, but most of the time it is defined by anything that has value left in a secondary market. Originating with the term salvage value - an accounting term - "salvage" can mean brand new, still in the box and surplus stocks or it can be an insurance claim.
If it's unsellable in the beginning we simply dispose of it and move on. Our creed governs our decisions and we are committed to selling desirable merchandise at an honest and extremely discounted price.

What do you guys think? Would you get it?

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
After inspecting it closely for signs of use or damage, yeah, I probably would.

If it appeared to have been used (packing plastic, tags, straps, or warranty cards out of place or missing, for example) or if it smelled funky or if the box had damage that looked like it was severe enough to have affected the contents, I'd pass it up.

stdldb29

We have this store called Dirt Cheap. It's a random mix of stuff from various stores. I've seen store brands and price tags from places like Target, Old Navy, Wal-mart and Kohl's, as well as name brand merchandise. It's supposed to be returns or defective items. There are no returns. You are responsible for checking to make sure things work. They provide a electrical outlet and testing space.
I was in there tonight and they had some car seats. I was looking at a Roundabout 50 that was $67. It's new, in the box, but opened of course. There was a sticker on the outside of the box that said "salvage".
That made me nervous, so I didn't get it. When I got home I looked up their site and this is what they say about Salvage items:

What do you guys think? Would you get it?

Get it!

crunchierthanthou

Target calls things salvage once they leave their pricing system. So if a clearance item sits on the shelf too long, or gets returned after they've cleared them all out, it gets sent to "salvage". If you scan something and it says, "Item not found" that means it's technically salvage.

In Utah, everything went to the Salvation Army. Half the store had red tags. In fact, I once saw two planters I returned show up at the Salvation Army store next to my house. :cool:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC