Is this at or above? bottom slot is too low, next slot appears too high (rf)

turtlemama

Ds3 in the TF. I had to move the straps up because they started falling off his shoulders. The next slot up looks too high to me, but I can't tell for sure because of the design of the seat. If it is too high, what would happen to him? His head comes no where near the top of the seat.

ADS

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
If it were me I would feel comfortable with that being close enough to "at" shoulder level, especially if the alternative is the straps slipping off. Is there any gap between him & the buckle? If so I would use a wash cloth to keep him from slipping forward once he's settled so the straps aren't any further above his shoulders though.

Pixels

If you don't have another seat to switch him to, I'd move them up. Straps falling off the shoulders is a guaranteed problem. Straps too high is a maybe problem.

We don't know what would happen with straps too high. We know that ramping up is a concern, but not in this particular case because he has so much seat above his head. There is also the potential for other injuries, but we don't know.

jess71903

Ambassador
It looks right at to me. If it's a little above, it'll be fine. He'll ramp up a little more maybe, but like you said, he's got lots of room above his head to contain him.

With the TF, I usually have to stick something in the slot itself to tell. It's st so far back that it's hard to tell. When I've done that, what I've thought was too high turned out to be just about right.

turtlemama

If it were me I would feel comfortable with that being close enough to "at" shoulder level, especially if the alternative is the straps slipping off. Is there any gap between him & the buckle? If so I would use a wash cloth to keep him from slipping forward once he's settled so the straps aren't any further above his shoulders though.

Nope, no gap. It's actually a little hard to buckle him because the crotch strap is a tad too short. I have to watch very closely so I don't pinch any of his leg fat.
I love the TF, but I wish the crotch strap was longer and RF weight limit was higher. I'm considering getting rid of it for something else. Originally, it was going to be a CCO, but I didn't like the small amount of legroom. I don't know what to try next. Maybe the Pria, but it'd have to be at least 6 months to be able to afford it.
Uh, went off on a tangent, lol.

rxmommy

It looks very close to me. I had the same problem in my TF, although my child is much older LOL!!! It is also hard to tell exactly where the straps because of the seat cover. Mine seems to make them look higher than they were. When I used a ruler to check, I was way more comfortable that they were at her shoulders. The straps were SO hard to get on her shoulders and I was worried they would slip off. She stopped screaming about getting into her seat once I moved up the straps.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The exact same thing happened to DD2 and I had to go with slightly above. It wasn't safe for her to have the straps sliding off her shoulders.

cryswilkins

I would also keep them moved up. You don't want the straps too fall off his shoulders. The reason that they are supposed to be at or below is to prevent them from ramping up past the top of the seat shell. With a properly tightened harness with plenty of seat shell above his head I wouldn't worry about them being slightly above. In fact, DS is having the same problem in his MA65.

rxmommy

I feel much better about Sophie's straps now after reading this and quite a bit mad at myself for not moving them up sooner. :eek:

It's getting to the same awkward stage in the Roundabout in DH's truck too. Not *quite* at on the 2nd harness height but so far above the lowest ones it's a pain. There isn't nearly as much shell above head in that seat though honestly.

Dmcj13

My DS (3) is still on the lowest harness height in his true fit, the next setting isabout an inch up, but we don't have any issues with the straps sliding off of his shoulders either, so I will leave it there.

turtlemama

Is the 2nd crotch strap position out in front of him? If it's not, I'd move it out, too.
Yep! He's a chunk and a half, (26 lbs 28 inches now at 15 mo) so I just have to make sure I don't pinch him. My 4 year old had the same problem when I let him ride in the TF several months ago as well. If the crotch strap just moved out a little more, it would be good.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC